Addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
garrettnicole92

Addendum?

Postby garrettnicole92 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:35 pm

If a question similar to this has been answered before, please feel free to direct me to the post.

I have good grades: 3.5 or higher every semester, except for one. Second semester of my freshman year I had a 2.8, largely because I got a D+ in a statistics class. If my career GPA is still really good (projected to be a 3.8 ), do I need to include an addendum? Truthfully, math is just not my thing (I had two tutors) and on top of that the professor was essentially terrible - no one did very well in the class. I was also dealing with some health issues that semester that didn't help the situation.

Basically what I want to know is this: Do you think the grade discrepancy is enough to warrant an addendum, or will it be understood by the adcomms that I just had that one bad class? I don't want to come across as a complainer, or like I'm making excuses.

jselson

Re: Addendum?

Postby jselson » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:57 pm

This is whining, not worth an addendum.

A-Modest-Proposal

Postby A-Modest-Proposal » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:11 pm

jselson wrote:This is whining, not worth an addendum.

True story. The point of an addendum is to explain extenuating circumstances or something unique/out-of-the-ordinary that would probably not apply to many others. I am sure about a thousands students have a class where they bomb because it is "not their subject." Just focus on improving your current GPA, and let the numbers do the talking.

Darmody

Postby Darmody » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Why do so many people who post on this forum have health problems during the school year?

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:27 pm

Darmody wrote:Why do so many people who post on this forum have health problems during the school year?

life sucks

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:28 pm

garrettnicole92 wrote: Do you think the grade discrepancy is enough to warrant an addendum

No

Dont write it

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:07 am

This sounds like an awful reason for an addendum. Although, I struggle to think of any circumstances that would justify an addendum for one class, especially with a 3.8 overall.

If you insist on writing it, absolutely do not mention that you had two tutors and still got a D.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:11 pm

The only legitimate issue you might raise in the addendum is the health issues. But I still wouldn't do it for a single grade. Especially if the rest of your grades were decent that semester - the health issue would apply equally to all of the classes.

magp90

Postby magp90 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:11 pm

If you're GPA is going to wind up being a 3.8, writing an addendum may actually attract attention to something they may not even care about. I'd just let it go.

garrettnicole92

Postby garrettnicole92 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:08 pm

A-Modest-Proposal wrote:
jselson wrote:This is whining, not worth an addendum.

True story. The point of an addendum is to explain extenuating circumstances or something unique/out-of-the-ordinary that would probably not apply to many others. I am sure about a thousands students have a class where they bomb because it is "not their subject." Just focus on improving your current GPA, and let the numbers do the talking.

Alright, that's exactly what I was asking. I was kind of unclear on exactly what circumstances would warrant an addendum and whether or not the one sub-par semester was really going to cause me problems. I didn't want to write one unnecessarily and make myself seem like a whiner.

Thanks for the help/answers. I won't be writing an addendum, just focusing on my LSAT and bringing my GPA up this last year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”