Am I missing something?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HarvardHopeful93

Am I missing something?

Postby HarvardHopeful93 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Looking up on LSN right now the dates for when people sent their apps in to Yale...and I thought that applying earlier in the cycle (i.e. October) increased your odds of getting in. So why did all the Yale applicants (both successful and not) apply in late November, decber and some in january!!!

What am I missing?

t-14orbust

Re: Am I missing something?

Postby t-14orbust » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:29 pm

It doesn't apply to Yale. They're very proud of their non-rolling admissions process. The claim is that your chances of admission are equal no matter when you apply.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:30 pm

HarvardHopeful93 wrote:Looking up on LSN right now the dates for when people sent their apps in to Yale...and I thought that applying earlier in the cycle (i.e. October) increased your odds of getting in. So why did all the Yale applicants (both successful and not) apply in late November, decber and some in january!!!

What am I missing?

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking but Yale didn't start accepting apps until November 1st this cycle.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:36 pm

Yale doesn't do rolling admissions like other schools do, so while applying early is important elsewhere, not at Yale. http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... ation.aspx

HarvardHopeful93

Postby HarvardHopeful93 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Ah...that would make sense. If they started accepting apps on 11/1, then submitting in Nov. would still be considered early...

When do other schools start accepting apps?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:23 pm

HarvardHopeful93 wrote:Ah...that would make sense. If they started accepting apps on 11/1, then submitting in Nov. would still be considered early...

When do other schools start accepting apps?

It depends on the school but I think most start in September. I know Cornell and Chicago started accepting August 15th. Others were September 1st. Some were in mid-September.

Some schools will also have their app available on LSAC before you can actually submit it. For example, Harvard didn't start accepting apps until Sept. 15th, but it was available for people to start filling out on Sept. 10th.

HarvardHopeful93

Postby HarvardHopeful93 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:27 pm

So does the rule hold universally then that applying as early as possible is still the best way to go?

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:31 pm

HarvardHopeful93 wrote:So does the rule hold universally then that applying as early as possible is still the best way to go?

Use your common sense. If they do not have rolling admissions then it would be better to spend the maximum time you need to get your application as best as possible.

If they have rolling admissions then get it in as soon as possible without committing any flagrant errors, or without leaving out something important.
Last edited by UnderrateOverachieve on Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarvardHopeful93

Postby HarvardHopeful93 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:26 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
HarvardHopeful93 wrote:So does the rule hold universally then that applying as early as possible is still the best way to go?

Use your common sense. If they do not have rolling admissions then it would be better to spend the maximum time you need to get your application as best as possible.

If they have rolling admissions then get it in as soon as possible without committing and flagrant errors, or without leaving out something important.

Yeah, guess I should have thought of that one.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”