Applying with SO?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nothingtosee

Applying with SO?

Postby nothingtosee » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:19 pm

Searched the forums, didn't see anything similar.

My SO and I are both applying this next cycle. We will be 2 and 3 years out of undergrad. Neither one of us have sat for an LSAT yet, but we're both PTing ok and have lots of time to improve.

I think I (will) have CCN numbers, and she (will) have HYS numbers.

We've decided we're going to the same school no matter what.

Has anyone been in this situation? Is this something that should be addressed in the application somewhere? Ideally she would be able to get $$$ at a CCN, and I could get $.

If anyone has experience, or insight, I would be appreciative.

<3.

JasonH

Re: Applying with SO?

Postby JasonH » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Your time spent on anything law school related should be spent on the LSAT at this point. The LSAT is no sure thing, even if you are PT'ing well. Most people do worse than their practice scores anyways.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:55 pm

nothingtosee wrote:Searched the forums, didn't see anything similar.

My SO and I are both applying this next cycle. We will be 2 and 3 years out of undergrad. Neither one of us have sat for an LSAT yet, but we're both PTing ok and have lots of time to improve.

I think I (will) have CCN numbers, and she (will) have HYS numbers.

We've decided we're going to the same school no matter what.

Has anyone been in this situation? Is this something that should be addressed in the application somewhere? Ideally she would be able to get $$$ at a CCN, and I could get $.

If anyone has experience, or insight, I would be appreciative.

<3.

Aim for NYC. Gives you the best odds of actually ending up in the same place. Throw an app at Y and P because its commutable. Neither of you apply to S. Don't risk putting that kind of stress on the relationship. Also, if you have a choice think of total student debt loads. If your expectations on scores are correct, the best situation you can have is two admissions to Columbia, one with a Rubinstein. In fact, a Rubinstien and a small scholly (or sticker) at NYU might even be better if you are gunnerish.

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:04 pm

Idk if I'm cold hearted or insensitive on the matter, but honestly I think each of you should strive to go to the best school that each of you can get in to for the best value. If you get SLS and he gets CLS, ya that kinda sucks, but it's just three years and neither of you will live with any guilt that you didn't fulfill your academic potential. I know us Americans have short attention spans, but three years will be over before you know it and t14 degrees are portable.

Aasterinian

Postby Aasterinian » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:09 pm

There was a couple on here several years ago who both got into YLS in the same cycle. They were from some small state school IIRC, but had fantastic numbers. It can be done!

SemperLegal wrote:Also, if you have a choice think of total student debt loads. If your expectations on scores are correct, the best situation you can have is two admissions to Columbia, one with a Rubinstein. In fact, a Rubinstien and a small scholly (or sticker) at NYU might even be better if you are gunnerish.

I think you mean a Hamilton :P But I agree with Semper that aiming for NYC is your best bet. (Though I don't think you necessarily need to take Stanford off the table if you would be happy attending UCB. I've made the drive from S to B and it's longish -- especially during rush hour -- but definitely doable.)

ETA: reading comprehension fail -- if you're 100% positive that you both really want to be at the same school and not just in the same city, then you probably should take SLS off the table. And YLS too for that matter.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:17 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:Idk if I'm cold hearted or insensitive on the matter, but honestly I think each of you should strive to go to the best school that each of you can get in to for the best value. If you get SLS and he gets CLS, ya that kinda sucks, but it's just three years and neither of you will live with any guilt that you didn't fulfill your academic potential. I know us Americans have short attention spans, but three years will be over before you know it and t14 degrees are portable.

It depends on the length and seriousness of the relationship, but I am going to wager that you will regret the fish that got away if your relationship crashes and burns due to long distance (and, IME, its more likely then not that LDR fail than succeed) much more than you are going to regret having fulfilled your academic potential, especially if you end up with a T10 JD anyway.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:18 pm

Why *do* you both want to end up at the same school? I can completely understand being in the same city or at the least commuting distance, but I would never in a million years want to go to the same LS as my SO, because I would hate the prospect of being graded against each other on the curve.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Couple additional inputs:

Her dad will be paying all her costs.
My pocket will be paying all my costs.

I have ~60k undergrad debt.

She wants to do PI. I want to get biglaw and payoff my debt, then maybe go in-house or become a judge (swoon).

Also, she's smarter than I am, and you always want to study with someone who's a better student than you are.

With the ending of the Rubinstein, does Chicago still have full tuitions? Any idea how many?

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:37 pm

You sound kind of co-dependent.

If you're paying your own COA, you should go to whichever upper-T14 that gives you the most money.

If she's having her COA paid for her, she should gun for HYS and not care where you go.

Best you can do is go to school in the same region (Northeast or NorCal seem the most likely here) so that you can see each other often, but hitching your wagon to each other seems kind of silly.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:52 pm

What are your GPAs?

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:41 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:What are your GPAs?

3.72/3.88

Both doing TFA.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:13 am

TFA couple! awesome. Congrats

nothingtosee wrote:
Her dad will be paying all her costs.
My pocket will be paying all my costs.

I have ~60k undergrad debt.

Ouch. Sounds like you're from pretty different social backgrounds, or very different parenting styles. If it hasn't been a problem yet, probably won't be later so that's good. My families' financial dynamic differs from my SO's too, and we've found ways of dealing with the inevitably tension. Are you in the proposing/marriage arena yet? If so, might not sound very romantic, but it might be a good solution so that the vast financial delta becomes mute, i.e. her dads money is your money, your debt is hers, and you will both work to pay off the same shit.

See what LSAT scores you each get. If you both break 170, then CLS/NYU seems like the right call here for maximum flexibility. However, you at NU w/ $$$ and her at UChicago with $$$ could work too. Depends on how much you value "CCN" vs "T13" ect. ect. Keep a car and the HLS/new york commute could range from 3.5 to 5 hrs depending on traffic (you would probably want to do night drives back and forth; for parking, leaving it in cambridge would be easier, but you could garage it short term in the city when necessary at a little extra cost.)

Good luck!

Ling520

Postby Ling520 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:11 am

Take the LSAT before making any decision--it can absolutely change things. No matter what you think your relative intelligence is, there is an element of unpredictability with tests like the LSAT. You may end up outscoring her, or one of you may score far below the other, forcing one of you to make an unfair sacrifice to stick together.

But, assuming you both have T6 numbers, I would recommend adding an addendum to both of your applications. Submit your applications at the same time and state in your addendum that you are planning to attend the same school together. Likely and collectively, this will weaken your aps at some schools but strengthen them at others.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:45 am

Ling520 wrote:But, assuming you both have T6 numbers, I would recommend adding an addendum to both of your applications. Submit your applications at the same time and state in your addendum that you are planning to attend the same school together. Likely and collectively, this will weaken your aps at some schools but strengthen them at others.

No. Don't do this. It will make you look like you're not taking law school seriously. OP's perspective is the relationship and how great and meaningful it is and how important it is that they stay together, and from that perspective this might make sense. The law school's perspective, however, will be envisioning OP and his girlfriend as a couple of codependent high school seniors. You can apply to the same places and make the same choices without including an addendum that makes you look like you're treating law school like a date. Do not do this.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:54 am

nickb285 wrote:
Ling520 wrote:But, assuming you both have T6 numbers, I would recommend adding an addendum to both of your applications. Submit your applications at the same time and state in your addendum that you are planning to attend the same school together. Likely and collectively, this will weaken your aps at some schools but strengthen them at others.

No. Don't do this. It will make you look like you're not taking law school seriously. OP's perspective is the relationship and how great and meaningful it is and how important it is that they stay together, and from that perspective this might make sense. The law school's perspective, however, will be envisioning OP and his girlfriend as a couple of codependent high school seniors. You can apply to the same places and make the same choices without including an addendum that makes you look like you're treating law school like a date. Do not do this.

Or you can get engaged.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:05 am

SemperLegal wrote:Or you can get engaged.

Even then, there's exactly zero reason for an addendum. What could it possibly accomplish? I mean, your choices are:

1. Write an addendum, one or both of you will get in on numbers, both of you will or won't go to the school.
2. Don't write an addendum, one or both of you will get in on numbers, both of you will or won't go to the school.

An addendum that says "Me and my snoogy bear are going to the same school no matter what" does precisely nothing to increase your chances of admission, and could potentially hurt by making adcomms think you're not taking the process seriously.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:39 pm

nickb285 wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:Or you can get engaged.

Even then, there's exactly zero reason for an addendum. What could it possibly accomplish? I mean, your choices are:

1. Write an addendum, one or both of you will get in on numbers, both of you will or won't go to the school.
2. Don't write an addendum, one or both of you will get in on numbers, both of you will or won't go to the school.

An addendum that says "Me and my snoogy bear are going to the same school no matter what" does precisely nothing to increase your chances of admission, and could potentially hurt by making adcomms think you're not taking the process seriously.

Thats not the point.

Engaged changes other elements of your application (like where you indicate your marital statis). It would be noticed regardless of an addendum

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:52 pm

FWIW, I want married/engaged couples to tell me they're both applying. When I see that I try to get them decisions at the same time as a courtesy.

If you're still referring to each other as boyfriend/girlfriend then I wouldn't mention it.

Also, don't take relationship advice from TLS. You could marry an 8 who is your soulmate and their advice would be to retake because if you really try you could find a 10. :P

Dean Perez
Texas Tech University School of Law

untar614

Postby untar614 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:17 pm

SPerez wrote:FWIW, I want married/engaged couples to tell me they're both applying. When I see that I try to get them decisions at the same time as a courtesy.

Do you know if most other Deans of Admission would do the same? It's certainly very nice, but I wonder if all would take that kind of consideration.

Also, don't take relationship advice from TLS. You could marry an 8 who is your soulmate and their advice would be to retake because if you really try you could find a 10. :P

Dean Perez

I lol'd.

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:15 pm

untar614 wrote:
SPerez wrote:FWIW, I want married/engaged couples to tell me they're both applying. When I see that I try to get them decisions at the same time as a courtesy.

Do you know if most other Deans of Admission would do the same? It's certainly very nice, but I wonder if all would take that kind of consideration.

No idea, but something else I find myself repeating on here...Just call the school. Some schools probably have too many applicants and/or a review process that doesn't really allow for pulling individual apps out. Others might not mind doing it at all.

Dean Perez

JasonH

Postby JasonH » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:38 pm

SPerez wrote:

Lol'd

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:56 pm

SPerez wrote:Also, don't take relationship advice from TLS. You could marry an 8 who is your soulmate and their advice would be to retake because if you really try you could find a 10. :P

Dean Perez

One of the best things I've seen on TLS

bandenjamin

Postby bandenjamin » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:54 pm

kayleighcheyenne wrote:
SPerez wrote:Also, don't take relationship advice from TLS. You could marry an 8 who is your soulmate and their advice would be to retake because if you really try you could find a 10. :P

Dean Perez

One of the best things I've seen on TLS

This should be at the top of every TLS page.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:09 pm

I know of at least two U.Va. Law couples who applied and were admitted together. I actually know one of the couples, and without giving any details that might out them, they have both done very well.

Definitely let admissions at U.Va. know--if you are or will be married when you come I think they would be into that.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”