When to begin LSAT prep?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HarvardHopeful93

When to begin LSAT prep?

Postby HarvardHopeful93 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:26 pm

Alright guys, so I'm gonna be a junior at IU this fall, and the question is as follows: I am serious about law school and getting into T14. When does one normally start LSAT prep? I understand many take a year or two off between grad and law school, but where does the LSAT play into all this? While concentrating on a double major, I would find it difficult to study for the LSAT while still having other classes to worry about? Yet it seems like many study while still in school. Thoughts/help?

Re: When to begin LSAT prep?

Postby 20141023 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:32 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonH

Postby JasonH » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:41 pm

Really depends on the person. For me, I started with a 144 on my very first test knowing absolutely nothing about the LSAT. I took every single practice test available over a 9-12 month period and was testing around 173-176 on the last 6 or 7 tests. It is definitely a learn-able test, but just depends on who you are and how well you can find your weaknesses and improve them. For me it took a little longer than most people, but anyone can do it if you really want to.

Be prepared for it to get in the way of your social life.

NYC2012

Postby NYC2012 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:10 pm

It took me a year to get where I wanted. It took my best friend only 2 and a half months. Everyone is different.

HarvardHopeful93

Postby HarvardHopeful93 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:00 am

Any advice on how to focus on school at the same time as studying for the LSAT? It basically took all of my energies and focus this past year to get the GPA that I did, and after my appalling first semester as a frosh, it's pretty much going to take perfection and complete focus from the point on out to achieve what I want. I guess I could wait until after graduation to worry about the test, but I hear that people that do that don't do as well.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:37 am

HarvardHopeful93 wrote:Any advice on how to focus on school at the same time as studying for the LSAT? It basically took all of my energies and focus this past year to get the GPA that I did, and after my appalling first semester as a frosh, it's pretty much going to take perfection and complete focus from the point on out to achieve what I want. I guess I could wait until after graduation to worry about the test, but I hear that people that do that don't do as well.

Totally untrue. I waited until after graduation and got a 180. I started studying in November initially aiming to take it in June but felt comfortable enough and was afraid of burn out so took it in February.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:41 am

I'd take a prep test now to get a feel of the test. Note that your cold diagnostic means nothing but just begin the process.

Then you need to find a way to maximize your GPA while giving yourself a solid 3-6 months to study. Be it during the school year, summers, or after you graduate, it doesn't matter. The goal should be to maximize both numbers, not tying your best to be a k-jd.

Ideally, you should be ready to take the June test, then if a retake is necessary, Oct, and again if you need to retake, December.

You can also do Oct, Dec, then wait a cycle if needed and take in June.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi OP, I'm actually in a REMARKABLY similar boat...

I started studying this summer while taking summer classes - I'm trying to give myself maximum flexible prep time because, of course, I also need to keep my GPA up (in fact, thanks to a stupid, lazy first semester freshman year with a 3.2, I pretty much have to get a 4.0 every semester to get my GPA close to where I want it. I've done it so far; just wish I'd applied myself similarly freshman year).

Anyway, I agree that it depends on the person, so right now my plan is to study as much as I can while keeping my grades all A's, and I think I'll be ready by June. If I'm ready earlier though, I'll take the LSAT then. Granted, I have yet to take the LSAT to see if this method works, so obviously take it with an enormous grain of salt. (Unrelatedly, the mental image of a huge grain of salt is a strange one. Maybe I could have phrased that better.)

HarvardHopeful93

Postby HarvardHopeful93 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Hm, yeah...I'm gonna have to find a way to do this. I may end up waiting until after graduation. Who knows. Still got time though. What Id really like to know is how to start LSAT prep. It all seems overwhelming. Took a Kaplan test in September, got a 150. Dont really know where to start.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:09 pm

HarvardHopeful93 wrote:Hm, yeah...I'm gonna have to find a way to do this. I may end up waiting until after graduation. Who knows. Still got time though. What Id really like to know is how to start LSAT prep. It all seems overwhelming. Took a Kaplan test in September, got a 150. Dont really know where to start.

You've already started! That first diagnostic is always a good place. However, it's a little old at this point, so I'd probably recommend taking another.

At that point, you need to figure out which method you're going to use - self study, prep course, private tutor. Each has pros and cons, so you have to figure out how much motivation you have to keep yourself on a schedule and how much you'd benefit from having a live person to talk to. All are effective means of studying; you just have to figure out the one that works best for you.

If you go the self-study route, there are a TON of plans on TLS, and there are a lot of helpful people here to give advice when you get stuck. Poke around and you'll find a virtual library of information.

If you go the class route, you can read reviews of the different ones here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=151670

If you go the private tutor route, it's important to "try" a session with the tutor before plopping down a ton of money for a large chunk of tutoring hours.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”