Contacting Dean of Students?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gocatsgo2014

Contacting Dean of Students?

Postby gocatsgo2014 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:12 pm

Have a family connection, though kind of a loose one to the dean of students at a T6 law school that is probably my top choice (based on location and career goals) and I'm debating if/how to mention it and wondering if it would even make the slightest difference?

I think my numbers are on the cusp for the given school--by that I mean I don't *think* they lock me out but it's kind of a long shot (GPA is slightly below their 25% but not below their apparent "cutoff" for non-URM / LSAT above 75%); decent softs, for whatever that's worth.

The strength of our personal connection puts me in a weird middle ground-- I think if s/he found out I applied and didn't mention it to them they'd be a little perplexed BUT based on the individual's personality I'm also not sure how well they'd receive an email out of the blue saying "heyyy I'm applying to the super selective institution you happen to work at......"

I also don't know what relationship s/he has with admissions.

I'm planning on applying for the next cycle so I was thinking once I have all the application materials together asking s/he if we could meet for coffee to talk about the school and ask for their input on my app? Even just as a way to put it on their radar that I'm applying?

Thoughts?

jas1503

Re: Contacting Dean of Students?

Postby jas1503 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:54 pm

gocatsgo2014 wrote:Have a family connection, though kind of a loose one to the dean of students at a T6 law school that is probably my top choice (based on location and career goals) and I'm debating if/how to mention it and wondering if it would even make the slightest difference?

I think my numbers are on the cusp for the given school--by that I mean I don't *think* they lock me out but it's kind of a long shot (GPA is slightly below their 25% but not below their apparent "cutoff" for non-URM / LSAT above 75%); decent softs, for whatever that's worth.

The strength of our personal connection puts me in a weird middle ground-- I think if s/he found out I applied and didn't mention it to them they'd be a little perplexed BUT based on the individual's personality I'm also not sure how well they'd receive an email out of the blue saying "heyyy I'm applying to the super selective institution you happen to work at......"

I also don't know what relationship s/he has with admissions.

I'm planning on applying for the next cycle so I was thinking once I have all the application materials together asking s/he if we could meet for coffee to talk about the school and ask for their input on my app? Even just as a way to put it on their radar that I'm applying?

Thoughts?

Do you have a LOR from her/him?

If the dean dated someone in your family/ knew someone from H.S. it's probably not a connection worth mentioning.

If the dean is an actual family member, then a LOR might be slightly useful.

Just my opinion, take it with a 'bag of salt'.

Postby 2014 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:45 pm

If it's UChi's dean of students, I see very little ways that this could work out in your favor.

gocatsgo2014

Postby gocatsgo2014 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:01 pm

2014 wrote:If it's UChi's dean of students, I see very little ways that this could work out in your favor.

2014, no, but I can see why you'd guess that :) I returned to my home state after undergrad and want to stay put / stay in the region. I think your assessment is pretty much true across the board though.

jas1503, thanks for the input.

I normally see the person on certain holidays so if the opportunity presents itself I'm going to try and bring it up as naturally as possible in conversation. If not, it probably won't make a difference anyway.

radar714

Postby radar714 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:50 pm

if you know this dude, you should definitely meet with him before you apply. Contact him and say "hey I'm getting ready to apply to schools, I have a bunch of questions about law school in general as well as specific questions pertaining to your school and the programs they offer." Meet with him, and then tell him you're still not sure where you're applying, as you've heard that the geographic region that you are aiming for is a very important factor. Then shmooze with him for a little, and demonstrate DAT VALUE, then email him once you have applied and say "hey, thanks so much for all your insight, it was really valuable in choosing what schools to apply to and what factors to look for in high-quality law schools. Also just wanted to keep you updated, I decided to apply to [your school], as well as blah blah blah...keeping my fingers crossed for [your school]!" (or something to that effect). I don't think you should "ask" for any direct favors. If he likes you and thinks he can do something about it, he probably will. Just my opinion.

I'm in a similar position; I'm WL'd at my top choice, and a girl I had class with in UG is the stepdaughter of the Dean of the Law School. Its tough because we're not very close friends, so I don't want to just call and say "hey get me in" so I'm thinking that asking her if her stepdad is free for coffee or some other slightly innocuous request to ask for his advice on either 1) how he thinks I can improve my candidacy to get off the waitlist or 2) if I should retake/reapply. While this is a seemingly inert discussion, it does kind of serve as a low-key backdoor interview.

GL man

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:00 pm

I boned the daughter of a V10 hiring partner a few times last year, with this help me during OCI?

gocatsgo2014

Postby gocatsgo2014 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:30 pm

TheThriller wrote:I boned the daughter of a V10 hiring partner a few times last year, with this help me during OCI?

When you call her to tell her she needs to get tested you should definitely ask her to put you in touch with her dad.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:38 pm

gocatsgo2014 wrote:
TheThriller wrote:I boned the daughter of a V10 hiring partner a few times last year, with this help me during OCI?

When you call her to tell her she needs to get tested you should definitely ask her to put you in touch with her dad.

i'm clean bro

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”