October or December LSAT... for SW and LLS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
archieg

October or December LSAT... for SW and LLS

Postby archieg » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:39 pm

After getting some good R and R after graduating, I plan on starting rigorous studying for the LSAT.

I am hoping to get into Loyola, with Southwestern as backup. (Let's face it: USC, my ideal\dream school, is out of reach with my GPA... or is it?)

I was wondering if I should take the LSAT in October, or in December?

If I take it in December, is there a lower chance of getting accepted, because more slots would fill up for Loyola? Or is it all the same?

Thanks!

bananasplit19

Re: October or December LSAT... for SW and LLS

Postby bananasplit19 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:02 pm

archieg wrote:After getting some good R and R after graduating, I plan on starting rigorous studying for the LSAT.

I am hoping to get into Loyola, with Southwestern as backup. (Let's face it: USC, my ideal\dream school, is out of reach with my GPA... or is it?)

I was wondering if I should take the LSAT in October, or in December?

If I take it in December, is there a lower chance of getting accepted, because more slots would fill up for Loyola? Or is it all the same?

Thanks!

Looking at your previous posts, you're sitting at a 3.1ish GPA? If you knock out the LSAT, USC isn't out of the question. I say that up front because your current targets (Loyola, SW) aren't worth your time or your money.

You're fresh out of college; here's my suggestion (and it's totally doable, not some pipe dream). Work for a year or two. Some legal assistant or file clerk job at a small or midlaw firm in LA somewhere. It'll be 9 to 5, $40-50K a year, and you'll gain some valuable exposure to the legal world, tack on some work experience for the ol' resume (which will come in handy when you're looking for jobs in and after law school!), live with some disposable income, and it'll distance your app from your GPA a bit. All the while, really practice hard for the LSAT. Make it so tedious that you don't even think of it as a test anymore, just a chore. Get a 169-172, and not only will you have a shot at USC, you might even get some scholly money too. At the very least, you'll pull some serious interest from Irvine, which is still a better option than Loyola or Southwestern.

In conclusion, it won't be your GPA that'll bar you from your dream school, it'll be your LSAT score. Luckily for you, you have the ability to up your LSAT score. So go get 'em.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”