Any admissions boost from undergrad internship at Vault ~30? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HanShotFirst

New

Any admissions boost from undergrad internship at Vault ~30?

Post by HanShotFirst » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:11 am

I've seen previous posts where people have asked about how much weight an internship carries at a small/mid-size firm. The consensus seems to be little to nil.

However, I haven't found any info on undergrad summer internships at Biglaw firms. I snagged a paid internship this summer at a Vault ~30 through family connections to a partner and am wondering if it will help me at all. I'm doing it to make sure law school is what I want, but obviously any help with admissions would be ideal.

Cobretti

Gold

Re: Any admissions boost from undergrad internship at Vault ~30?

Post by Cobretti » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:58 am

HanShotFirst wrote:I've seen previous posts where people have asked about how much weight an internship carries at a small/mid-size firm. The consensus seems to be little to nil.

However, I haven't found any info on undergrad summer internships at Biglaw firms. I snagged a paid internship this summer at a Vault ~30 through family connections to a partner and am wondering if it will help me at all. I'm doing it to make sure law school is what I want, but obviously any help with admissions would be ideal.
Sounds like a great experience. As far as admissions its not going to make you overperform your #s

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:17 am

Cobretti wrote:
HanShotFirst wrote:I've seen previous posts where people have asked about how much weight an internship carries at a small/mid-size firm. The consensus seems to be little to nil.

Sounds like a great experience. As far as admissions its not going to make you overperform your #s
Yea, basically this. I know a dude who had a substantive FT job at a V10 for the last two years. Went to a prestigious undergrad. Decent numbers, not astronomical.

He's going to GULC in the fall.
Last edited by beepboopbeep on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

hiltopp01

New

Post by hiltopp01 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:38 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

Yea, basically this. I know a dude who had a substantive FT job at a V10 for the last two years. Went to a prestigious. Decent numbers, not astronomical.

He's going to GULC in the fall.
Egregious anti-GULC troll :lol:

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:41 am

I'm betting it helps a little (to the degree that softs can) if you can incorporate it into your personal statement in a way that makes it clear that it helped you form more specific career goals, confirmed your desire for a career in the law, etc.

But I'm also betting that admissions staff will assume that you got the position through daddy/mommy, so the mere fact that you have it won't impress them.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:46 am

I had a paralegal esque job at a Vault firm and it had no effect on admissions. It helps for interviews though, especially since you can gain significant insight into what various practice areas actually do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”