Would Georgetown be in reach with a high LSAT? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Quantumpencil

New

Would Georgetown be in reach with a high LSAT?

Post by Quantumpencil » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:42 am

Hello, TLS. These are my "stats"

Undergraduate Institution: Harvard College
Major: Pure Math
GPA: 3.31
(Grades were solid freshman year, TERRIBLE sophomore year (Like 4 C's in one semester) since I dealt with a bout of depression due to a very ugly and socially costly break-up, and then trend upwards)
Secondary Field: Music
Pianist/composer
(Several original pieces performed)
My summers were spent studying German and doing research on non-standard tuning systems/writing original pieces of music in those tunings systems later performed.

Don't know if any of these matter, but I think they did for undergrad (Law school seems much more of a numbers game, based on my research)

Race: White non-hispanic
Birthplace: Rural South
Family income: ~$30,000

A realistic expectation for my LSAT based on my previous test experience (SAT 2300 (1550), ACT 35) is between 172-176. I might get higher if I'm lucky, but I'm not banking on that.

My interests are primarily in social advocacy and progressive policy. My political/personal beliefs make corporate law an uninteresting option to me, I'd prefer to be supporting a number of important personal causes through labor law. Obviously top tier law schools are better, but this leads me to think based on some conversations with friends here at Harvard that Georgetown is a stronger option for me than a few typically higher ranked schools. I'm wondering if admission there is realistic, and more generally what my options are. I know that YHS are pretty much out of the picture, but of the remaining T14, where could I set my sights?

Thank you for your help TLS.

hiltopp01

New

Re: Would Georgetown be in reach with a high LSAT?

Post by hiltopp01 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:55 am

http://www.mylsn.info/r5l0i8

Play around with your numbers; you have a great shot at GULC if you can score within that LSAT range. Your undergrad institution and major will be moderate softs.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:33 am

You have a very good shot at Georgetown with a high LSAT, like 170+

Make sure you have your FAFSA and Need Access forms filled out as early as possible. Literally do this as soon as you can. And submit the info to GU and other schools as quickly as possible. GU is known as being a bit stingy with scholarships, but need-based aid can be significant, and I have a hunch that those who are first in line stand a better chance of getting it. Could be wrong, but don't leave something like that to chance.

StillIll

Bronze

Post by StillIll » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:55 pm

Even a moderately high lsat (169) and you can get in to Georgetown. A high lsat and you should set your sights higher... splitter dreams can come true, even if it takes a couple months on the waitlist.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

sausageandeggslover

New

Post by sausageandeggslover » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:27 am

deleted

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”