non-degree related transcript - send or not?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nugnoy

non-degree related transcript - send or not?

Postby nugnoy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:51 pm

I've taken classes at a community college C outside of my regular university U. I took a some classes at C before U and after U. Here's my record:

2002-2004
D in Algebra II
W in elem piano 2
3 As in 3 piano classes

A in Business law

This is how I see it:
1. Sending the transcript won't concretely help me
2. Not sending the transcript can hurt me.
3. But sending could hurt as well

factors:
1. Transcript itself isn't worthy of doing any concrete help. It may say, this student took a class after his bachelor's and it was law related. This might be a really slight positive since I'm a neuroscience major.
2. One of my 2 letters of rec will be from the business law class I took this year. So having this letter from a professor from college C without having a record of study at college C is likely to confuse the reader/hurt me if the reader pays attention to where the letter came from.
3. But sending is likely to seriously & concretely hurt me if it counts the D and W in my lsac gpa. My gpa is bad - Uni's all gpa is 3.533, and lsac gpa is low 3.3 (I calced it a while ago by hand, don't have exact fig now)

At the law school forum I asked about this - and couple of the people, one specifically from Irvine and another from Davis I think - said "we just want your transcripts working towards your degree." So there doesn't seem to be a clear-cut rule mandating I list every transcript I have ever had.

lsac tells me I can't edit my institutions after I submit the initial list after buying the credentials service. So I feel like I am at a fork. What do you guys think about the effects of listing C vs not listing C? Does anyone know if the grades from 2002 don't really matter, or if they do still matter? And what do you recommend?

Thanks for reading!

cinephile

Re: non-degree related transcript - send or not?

Postby cinephile » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:08 pm

I have no idea what you're saying, so I'll answer the question I think you're asking: Do I have to send the transcript to LSAC? Yes, you do. No matter what, you are required to send the transcript to LSAC. If you don't, you will not pass C+F and will be denied the chance to sit for the bar, but you'll find this out only after you've spent 3 years and 6 figures on law school.

If you're asking, should I also send this transcript to individual schools? Then I would guess not if they don't require it and the C makes you look bad.

JasonH

Postby JasonH » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:19 pm

cinephile wrote:I have no idea what you're saying, so I'll answer the question I think you're asking

Send all your transcripts, yes. Unless you value getting admitted to law school more than being admitted to the bar

nugnoy

Postby nugnoy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:33 pm

cinephile wrote:I have no idea what you're saying, so I'll answer the question I think you're asking: Do I have to send the transcript to LSAC? Yes, you do. No matter what, you are required to send the transcript to LSAC. If you don't, you will not pass C+F and will be denied the chance to sit for the bar, but you'll find this out only after you've spent 3 years and 6 figures on law school.

If you're asking, should I also send this transcript to individual schools? Then I would guess not if they don't require it and the C makes you look bad.

I thought sending it to LSAC automatically meant sending it to every school I apply. Are you saying that after I send every transcript to lsac, I can choose to not send a transcript to a specific law school?

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:53 pm

I don't know if you can tailor the submissions to the individual schools but yes, you have to submit all of your transcripts to LSAC. Even though your LSDAS GPA is frozen after you get your first bachelor's degree, I still had to send in my master's transcript as well.

ETA:

At the law school forum I asked about this - and couple of the people, one specifically from Irvine and another from Davis I think - said "we just want your transcripts working towards your degree." So there doesn't seem to be a clear-cut rule mandating I list every transcript I have ever had.

You got bad gouge from the other forum - this is a list of the required transcrips, from the LSAC site:

community colleges
undergraduate and graduate institutions
law/medical/professional institutions
institutions attended for summer or evening courses
institutions attended even though a degree was never received
institutions from which you took college-level courses while in high school even though they were for high school credit
institutions that clearly sponsored your overseas study.

Clear sponsorship means:
the courses received the sponsoring institution's academic credit (not transfer credit);
the course codes, titles, credits earned, and grades appear on the sponsoring institution's transcript. Typically, these grades and credits are included in the sponsoring institution's cumulative GPA. The courses are often administered and taught by the sponsoring institution's faculty at an overseas institution.

international transcripts, if applicable

nugnoy

Postby nugnoy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:08 am

Ah I see, I've also read the Ivey guide which confirms what you guys have told me. I will list it on my lsac. Thanks!

JasonH

Postby JasonH » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:17 am

Also, LSAC makes it pretty clear that they want to know about every institution you have attended post high-school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”