Law School Admissions inquiries

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sarcasticzebra
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:09 pm

Law School Admissions inquiries

Postby sarcasticzebra » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Long story short, I have known that I have wanted to become a lawyer since 2009, and though I have read a great deal about the admissions process, there are great deal of questions I still have about admissions.

First). I have a 3.XX gpa below the 25% of most top schools, and I have not taken the LSAT as of yet, but I am currently scoring in the high 160s on the practice diagnostics.

Second). I want to hit the 170 LSAT mark when I apply, but I feel that I need a great deal more preparation to achieve this. I feel that by February 2014, I will be ready for my first attempt.

Lastly). My initial goal was to apply during the 2013/2014 cycle, however, I know I will receive a great deal of comments telling me the Feb '14 LSAT is too late, but I was planning on applying 2013/2014 cycle first to see if I land anywhere halfway decent or somewhere that I would like to practice, HOWEVER if it doesn't work out the 2013/14 cycle, I will gladly applying again VERY EARLY during the 2014/15 cycle.

Now onto the questions.....

1). Like I said, I am not putting all my eggs in the 2013/14 cycle basket, as I know taking the Feb 14 LSAT will be way late, but since I am scoring in the high 160s as of now, and if I achieve a 170, will there be some schools with March and April deadlines that may still accept and consider me for the 2013/14 cycle if everything else is 100 percent ready?

2). If 2013/14 doesn't work out and I apply again early next cycle with a 3.XX and 170+, If you have 1 semester of straight C's/D's along with several semesters of straight W's, will that kill your chances at a Top 30 school if you apply early in another cycle OR do the individual grades and amount of Ws not matter, but rather its just the #s (gpa/LSAT)? I read somewhere on here that someone with more than 5 Ws got into HYS, so that makes me inclined to think Ws wont matter as much, but yet I am not sure?

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Law School Admissions inquiries

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:32 am

sarcasticzebra wrote:1). Like I said, I am not putting all my eggs in the 2013/14 cycle basket, as I know taking the Feb 14 LSAT will be way late, but since I am scoring in the high 160s as of now, and if I achieve a 170, will there be some schools with March and April deadlines that may still accept and consider me for the 2013/14 cycle if everything else is 100 percent ready?


Yes.

sarcasticzebra wrote:2). If 2013/14 doesn't work out and I apply again early next cycle with a 3.XX and 170+, If you have 1 semester of straight C's/D's along with several semesters of straight W's, will that kill your chances at a Top 30 school if you apply early in another cycle OR do the individual grades and amount of Ws not matter, but rather its just the #s (gpa/LSAT)? I read somewhere on here that someone with more than 5 Ws got into HYS, so that makes me inclined to think Ws wont matter as much, but yet I am not sure?


To the extent that your W's and poor semester don't adversely affect your GPA even more, law schools don't care about them.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Law School Admissions inquiries

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:08 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
buttes
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Re: Law School Admissions inquiries

Postby buttes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:24 am

I'd plan on working for a(nother?) year. As said above, you'll want the full length of the cycle to be considered, maybe get in early. Plus, this gives you time to prepare more and maybe even take LSAT again for a higher score (which can never hurt). You certainly will be able to get in somewhere applying late in the cycle, but you could probably do better for next round, and the work experience wouldn't hurt either.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Law School Admissions inquiries

Postby Clearly » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:18 am

For real though, take a look at decision date charts:
Image
Image
Image
Image

If you apply in March, you are very likely to get your feelings hurt.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Law School Admissions inquiries

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:22 am

It really depends. What is your GPA? 3.03? 3.73? It matters..!

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Law School Admissions inquiries

Postby Clearly » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:28 am

sinfiery wrote:It really depends. What is your GPA? 3.03? 3.73? It matters..!

For real, 3.xx is incredibly vague. That encompasses Yale, to TT.

Thats like saying your lsat score is 1xx :lol:

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Law School Admissions inquiries

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:22 am

Yeah, we need to know the GPA with a little more precision. No one is going to be able to out you on the basis of you posting your actual GPA.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Law School Admissions inquiries

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:34 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarcasticzebra
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:09 pm

Re: Law School Admissions inquiries

Postby sarcasticzebra » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:55 pm

My LSAC gpa is 3.13.....and I am scoring in the high 160s on my practice diagnostics. So, I will still take the Febuary 2014 LSAT, just apply early the following Fall instead of late the other cycle. Also keep in mind that I still have 3 more semesters until I graduated May 2014, so if I do well in those 48 additional credit hours, that can give me a slight boost and show admcomms I have an upward trend

Thanks...everyone has been a huge help. Now, just 2 more questions, if everyone wouldn't mind helping me further....

1). Is applying to law schools slightly easier then previous years, with the application numbers down or has that had no effect whatsoever?

2). I mentioned I have non punitive Ws. None of my Ws have been individual ones in a semester, they have just been straight Ws, various semesters when I had to withdrawal for a number of reasons. How many non pun Ws is too many, where it will cause you to underperform your numbers? I am beginning to think they don't matter as much since I read on here someone got accepted to Harvard with more than 5?

User avatar
buttes
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Re: Law School Admissions inquiries

Postby buttes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:21 pm

I think that honestly depends on where your W's are coming from. Financial reasons, family reasons, mental health reasons - whatever it may be, you'll need to address it in your application, but it's not necessarily a deal killer. It just shouldn't look like something that will continue to be an issue in law school.

From what I've seen, the effects of dropping application numbers have primarily hit lower ranked schools. If you're shooting for T14 or T20, there may be some difference, but not significant. Also, see if you can get your LSAT up a little. A 17x will go a long way towards getting over a 3.1x. (Source: T-14, 3.1x, 172)

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Law School Admissions inquiries

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:35 pm

You need a 170. Not a 169, a 170. Get it done!

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Law School Admissions inquiries

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:39 pm

buttes wrote:I think that honestly depends on where your W's are coming from. Financial reasons, family reasons, mental health reasons - whatever it may be, you'll need to address it in your application, but it's not necessarily a deal killer. It just shouldn't look like something that will continue to be an issue in law school.

From what I've seen, the effects of dropping application numbers have primarily hit lower ranked schools. If you're shooting for T14 or T20, there may be some difference, but not significant. Also, see if you can get your LSAT up a little. A 17x will go a long way towards getting over a 3.1x. (Source: T-14, 3.1x, 172)


This, with a caveat.

Definitely include an addendum discussing why you have multiple semesters of withdrawals.

As far as the effect on schools, high LSAT scores have become more rare than anything else. The number of top-2% students who stopped taking the test/applying is much bigger than the groups of lower-scoring candidates. If you can position yourself with a 170+, schools are getting more willing to forgive any manner of sins.

sarcasticzebra
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:09 pm

Re: Law School Admissions inquiries

Postby sarcasticzebra » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks bp shinners, for your great help.

One quick, last question, I mentioned the 3.13 gpa (with potential to raise to 3.3) before graduation and the almost 170 scoring on LSAT diagnostics and the multiple semesters of Ws. Would it help at all in addition that I have 4-5 final semesters around graduation with no Ws whatsoever, or are 4-5 semesters not enough to distance onself from the previous withdrawals. I was thinking with the final 4-5 semesters, that would show adcomms that I wont have to withdrawal from classes and can handle the rigor.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Law School Admissions inquiries

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:54 pm

sarcasticzebra wrote:Thanks bp shinners, for your great help.

One quick, last question, I mentioned the 3.13 gpa (with potential to raise to 3.3) before graduation and the almost 170 scoring on LSAT diagnostics and the multiple semesters of Ws. Would it help at all in addition that I have 4-5 final semesters around graduation with no Ws whatsoever, or are 4-5 semesters not enough to distance onself from the previous withdrawals. I was thinking with the final 4-5 semesters, that would show adcomms that I wont have to withdrawal from classes and can handle the rigor.


It will show it to some adcoms, but to be honest a 3.13 is just not going to get it done at most schools. A 3.3 is going to give you a hailmary at CCN, but target schools of bottom of the T14 (assuming you get a 173).

I know the temptation to be like, clearly my record shows I can handle rigor, but numbers are too important to law school admissions to be that holistic

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Law School Admissions inquiries

Postby Clearly » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:43 am

Seriously, don't worry about withdrawals. It's borderline irrelevant.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 6 guests