Globe University in Minneapolis- accredited enough for LSAC?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nova

Globe University in Minneapolis- accredited enough for LSAC?

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Asking for a paralegal friend who wants to apply to law school in the fall of 2014.

Anyone know?

RoaringMice

Re: Globe University in Minneapolis- accredited enough for LSAC?

Postby RoaringMice » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Globe U isn't regionally accredited, which is what's normally required in order to get into grad school, generally speaking. If a school isn't regionally accredited, other schools don't tend to see their degrees as real. I'd be surprised if ABA law schools would accept her degree.

I wonder if some of those state-accredited, non-ABA schools in California might, though. She'd need to contact each one and ask.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:18 pm

:( :( :(

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:26 pm

I don't think it has a good reputation bro

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:35 pm

It is clearly a terrible school

But will LSAC will recognize a BA from it?

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:15 am

Nova wrote:It is clearly a terrible school

But will LSAC will recognize a BA from it?

Again, I really don't think so, because the school is not appropriately accredited. And regardless of whether or not LSAC would recognize the school/degree, law schools will not.

MCL Law Dean

Postby MCL Law Dean » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:55 am

RoaringMice wrote:Globe U isn't regionally accredited, which is what's normally required in order to get into grad school, generally speaking. If a school isn't regionally accredited, other schools don't tend to see their degrees as real. I'd be surprised if ABA law schools would accept her degree.

I wonder if some of those state-accredited, non-ABA schools in California might, though. She'd need to contact each one and ask.

I believe Roaring Mice is spot on here on both accounts. As dean of a state-accredited, non-ABA school, I can confirm that both the Globe degree and paralegal work experience would be considered, along with her LSAT score. It is not as much a factor of where the degree is from, since Globe is ACICS accredited, but the nature of the courses she has taken and how well she did. If she has taken enough academic vs. "technical/trade" content (at least 60 units), and shown that she is a good student, she would be considered. We have also found that students with solid paralegal background do well in a program like ours that is much more practice vs. theory oriented. The big "HOWEVER" is that she needs to be interested in living/working in California after graduation (and passing the California bar) for 3-5 years before she would be eligible to sit for another state bar. There is a link to the requirements for all 50 states on our website under "accreditation" or she can go to the NCBE website. She would also need to be interested in living/working in non-urban, non-BigLaw . . . since schools like ours cater to regional, small firm, public practice lawyers. Pass on my info, if she is interested we would be glad to provide additional information about MCL or any of the other California-accredited, non-ABA law schools.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”