*

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Kobaine51
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:55 pm

*

Postby Kobaine51 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:53 am

.
Last edited by Kobaine51 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby Clearly » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:06 am

Do not write a gpa addendum to explain a few b's. Google law school numbers. Has everything you need. As far as the lsat, it's a common question, but also misguided around here, you don't pick a score, then study...you study as best you can, earn your score, then pick a school. Study for 180. Don't settle.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:23 am

There's absolutely no reason for you to submit a grade addendum. You got Bs for the same reasons countless other students get Bs.

With a score over H's 75th (i.e., 176+), you stand a fair to decent chance there. Your below-25th GPA will prevent you from being a lock regardless of your score. Because of the GPA, your chances at Y are essentially zero, and they're not much better at S, regardless of your score.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby bizzybone1313 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:24 am

I wish I could give you some kind of award. Because peeps on TLS have been st8 playa hatin on me for a long time for putting C in the same tier as HYS. :lol:

CanIGetAnAmen
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:37 am

How come Columbia grads on average make more money than HYS?

User avatar
Kobaine51
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby Kobaine51 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:53 am

.
Last edited by Kobaine51 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby buddyt » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:38 am

Kobaine51 wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Do not write a gpa addendum to explain a few b's. Google law school numbers. Has everything you need. As far as the lsat, it's a common question, but also misguided around here, you don't pick a score, then study...you study as best you can, earn your score, then pick a school. Study for 180. Don't settle.


As misguided as you may think it is, it's actually a useful question to ask. Obviously I'm studying for a 180, but there are other numbers I would settle for. 177 would still be very useful for me. Knowing a floor for admission will allow me to choose wether or not to take the test, based on practice scores. I do not need to apply this year, but I will if I have a reasonable chance of admission based on practicing at or above some floor I set based on the information I get from people on this forum.

Law school numbers is useful, and I've interpreted the data myself, but I want to know what other people perceive as the floor to add to my stock of information.

I asked for a specific answer, not a lecture. I do not care what you think for anything other than what I asked.

You sound delightful.

According to mylsn.info it looks like to have a coinflip's chance at Harvard you need a 177, and at Columbia you need a 172. Yale/Stanford are both out of the picture.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby 2014 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:09 am

Egregious anti Chicago trolling going on in this thread, does not compute

BigZuck
Posts: 10835
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:59 am

2014 wrote:Egregious anti Chicago trolling going on in this thread, does not compute


The OP was open to Chicago the last time he made this thread, I wonder what happened?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=182691&p=5410195#p5410195

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:12 am

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:How come Columbia grads on average make more money than HYS?

self-selection

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby 20141023 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:00 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:39 am

kappycaft1 wrote:How much time did you spend abroad? If it wasn't more than a year, then those grades likely won't count towards your LSDAS GPA.

Also, if your goal is HYSC, and you know what it takes to get into these schools, you are heading in the wrong direction. You had a 3.79 last time you asked this question, and now you're at a 3.71. Upward trends show that someone has matured and figured out the importance of school, whereas downward trends show just the opposite. :roll:


I'm going to guess OP went to Chicago based on the "top-5 known for grade deflation" description from his other thread.

Chicago has study abroad programs through the school that definitely do count for LSAC gpa - mostly I know this because I did a Chicago study abroad program and didn't go to class the entire quarter, and my gpa would be like .05 higher if it were wiped from my transcript.

He sounds like such a That Kid, though, so I have no qualms about breaking it to him - YS are not going to happen. Maybe H with a 176+. Based on my own experience and that of a few friends who applied, Chicago GPAs move down when LSAC recalculates - a 3.71 will probably turn into a mid 3.6x.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby 20141023 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:44 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:34 pm

Same GPA as you, attending CLS w/ $$ next year. If you hit over Harvards 75th, as others have said, you have an OK chance there but definitely not a lock. CLS admits much lower GPA's than Harvard, so if you are 171+ you have a strong chance. Below 170, you're headed for reserve or worse.

Good luck!

CanIGetAnAmen
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Why do Columbia grads on average make more money than HYS?

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby sinfiery » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:56 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:Why do Columbia grads on average make more money than HYS?

Because payscale uses shit data to compute the unsurprisingly shit analysis on such matters

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby banjo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Kobaine51 wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Do not write a gpa addendum to explain a few b's. Google law school numbers. Has everything you need. As far as the lsat, it's a common question, but also misguided around here, you don't pick a score, then study...you study as best you can, earn your score, then pick a school. Study for 180. Don't settle.


...

I asked for a specific answer, not a lecture. I do not care what you think for anything other than what I asked.


Why would you say something so plainly unpleasant to the first person who responded to your request? Being a kind, friendly person is probably ten times more important to your career than your LSAT score. People will be more willing to hire you, work with you, promote you, invite you out to drinks, etc., if you're the kind of person who can thank people for their advice even if you found it unhelpful or unnecessary.

User avatar
Tekrul
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby Tekrul » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Lol everyone out of this kids way. He doesn't care what you think about anything other than what he asked and will tell it straight to your face. Kid is hard, such a hard mofo.

I wish to reeducate you on matters of civility and grace with the back of my hand and a healthy fear of God. Alas, I don't know who you are.

User avatar
Borg
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby Borg » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:19 pm

2014 wrote:Egregious anti Chicago trolling going on in this thread, does not compute


Sorry, it's a forgettable city and a forgettable school.

User avatar
Ling520
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:53 am

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby Ling520 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:52 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:Why do Columbia grads on average make more money than HYS?

On what measure?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2011/03/08/the-best-law-schools-for-getting-rich/
"The best school if you want to get paid well is Stanford Law School, which tops our list with mid-career median pay of $236,000."

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:23 pm

Ling520 wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:Why do Columbia grads on average make more money than HYS?

On what measure?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2011/03/08/the-best-law-schools-for-getting-rich/
"The best school if you want to get paid well is Stanford Law School, which tops our list with mid-career median pay of $236,000."


Columbia is #1 for mean pay out of law school according to the actual forbes ranking. Stanford is #1 for mid career.

Columbia dominates the out of LS figure because more HYS kids get prestigious fed clerkships, which are lower paying than market salary at large NYC firms.

User avatar
untar614
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby untar614 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:34 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Ling520 wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:Why do Columbia grads on average make more money than HYS?

On what measure?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2011/03/08/the-best-law-schools-for-getting-rich/
"The best school if you want to get paid well is Stanford Law School, which tops our list with mid-career median pay of $236,000."


Columbia is #1 for mean pay out of law school according to the actual forbes ranking. Stanford is #1 for mid career.

Columbia dominates the out of LS figure because more HYS kids get prestigious fed clerkships, which are lower paying than market salary at large NYC firms.


The more recent editions of that article give the same results: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45eg ... -school-2/
Columbia has the top median pay right out of school, but HLS is the clear winner mid-career. In fact, CLS seems to lag several other schools in the mid-career pay metric. Any thoughts as to why this might be the case?

User avatar
Ling520
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:53 am

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby Ling520 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:53 pm

untar614 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Ling520 wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:Why do Columbia grads on average make more money than HYS?

On what measure?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2011/03/08/the-best-law-schools-for-getting-rich/
"The best school if you want to get paid well is Stanford Law School, which tops our list with mid-career median pay of $236,000."


Columbia is #1 for mean pay out of law school according to the actual forbes ranking. Stanford is #1 for mid career.

Columbia dominates the out of LS figure because more HYS kids get prestigious fed clerkships, which are lower paying than market salary at large NYC firms.


The more recent editions of that article give the same results: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45eg ... -school-2/
Columbia has the top median pay right out of school, but HLS is the clear winner mid-career. In fact, CLS seems to lag several other schools in the mid-career pay metric. Any thoughts as to why this might be the case?


I think jbagelboy covered it with the prestigious fed clerkships.

User avatar
untar614
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby untar614 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:04 pm

Ling520 wrote:
untar614 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Columbia is #1 for mean pay out of law school according to the actual forbes ranking. Stanford is #1 for mid career.

Columbia dominates the out of LS figure because more HYS kids get prestigious fed clerkships, which are lower paying than market salary at large NYC firms.


The more recent editions of that article give the same results: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45eg ... -school-2/
Columbia has the top median pay right out of school, but HLS is the clear winner mid-career. In fact, CLS seems to lag several other schools in the mid-career pay metric. Any thoughts as to why this might be the case?


I think jbagelboy covered it with the prestigious fed clerkships.


But why does Coumbia's mid-career median salary fall behind Chicago, UVA, Duke, Cornell, Northwestern and NYU's?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: HYSC what LSAT?

Postby Lavitz » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:07 pm

untar614 wrote:The more recent editions of that article give the same results: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45eg ... -school-2/
Columbia has the top median pay right out of school, but HLS is the clear winner mid-career. In fact, CLS seems to lag several other schools in the mid-career pay metric. Any thoughts as to why this might be the case?


Ranked by mid-career:

1. Harvard: 221K
2. Cornell: 209K
3. Duke: 207K
4. Chicago: 204K
5. Stanford: 202K
6. Northwestern: 198K
7. NYU: 197K
8. UVA: 192K
9. Santa Clara: 189K
10. Columbia: 187K
11. Georgetown: 187K
12. Michigan: 185K
13. Penn: 183K
14. USC: 183K
15. Fordham: 178K
16. UCLA: 177K
17. Yale: 168K
18. Berkeley: 165K
19. Catholic: 162K
20. Hastings: 158K
21. Texas: 157K
22. Houston: 150K
23. San Francisco: 150K
24. San Diego: 136K
25. Utah: 135K


Santa Clara > Columbia.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], MSNbot Media, notausername and 3 guests