Low GPA that is not truly representative Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Edrachlis

New

Low GPA that is not truly representative

Post by Edrachlis » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:40 pm

Hello All,

I am a recent undergrad graduate and am currently studying for the LSAT. My problem is that my undergrad gpa is just not representative of how smart/hardworking I truly am. I did not really get my mind right until closer to senior year when I finally felt like I had a direction to go in. I am actually VERY smart but just didn't put the effort in when i didn't have a direction and now i regret it fully. Hopefully my LSAT score can show that I am above average, but how much would it really help even if I got a perfect score with a 3.0/3.1 gpa. I want to get into top tier schools and I again know I can do it once I am there. Is there anything that could possible help my chances? Am I completely screwed? Should I just accept having to go to a Lower ranked school?

Any advice would be extremely helpful, be as honest as possible I want realistic answers for the real world.

Thanks for listening to a stressed out kid.

cinephile

Gold

Re: Low GPA that is not truly representative

Post by cinephile » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:45 pm

No, you should never ever apply to lower ranked schools because there will be no jobs when you finish. So it's either get into a good school with good prospects or just don't go.

And hopefully you will succeed on this LSAT and your GPA will be irrelevant (or at least of minimal importance). But if not, you can always retake the LSAT. And yes, a 180 will help you overcome your GPA.

And there really isn't anything else that can help you overcome a low GPA. Many people were in the same situation as you, so it doesn't really distinguish you from the other 3.0s out there. And at the end of the day, law school admissions is really a numbers game.

So just focus on the LSAT and things will be great!

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Edrachlis wrote: but how much would it really help even if I got a perfect score with a 3.0/3.1 gpa
A perfect score would make you competitive just about anywhere especially if you're URM. That being said, a perfect score is very difficult to achieve, even for those that put in months of serious studying. The good news is that you definitely have a good shot at some strong schools despite your GPA — which isn't really that bad all things considered, and if you hit 170 or better on the LSAT, then that opens up a lot more opportunities; and a 170+ is what you need to be gunning for to have a shot at the T14.
Last edited by CardozoLaw09 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:49 pm

Your GPA is representative, comparatively.

Someone who got their "mind right" as a freshman and has a 3.5-4.0 should have a better admissions cycle than you, no real way around that other than major/medical issues.

Just crush the LSAT.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Crush the LSAT. There's nothing you can do to explain away your GPA because your situation is common to a large portion of the applicant pool. Get a 172+ and you should have a couple of T14 options.

Edrachlis

New

Post by Edrachlis » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:57 pm

Thank you everyone for your speedy replies and advice I really appreciate everything I can get.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”