Application Prep Companies/Counselors

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Helpmeplease

Application Prep Companies/Counselors

Postby Helpmeplease » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:40 am

So I'm planning on using a application prep company (counselor?) to help me with my application. Yeah, I get that a lot of the information is available on here already if I just look, but with work, I think it's better to have that information streamlined through the counselor and would make a good investment. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for which one to use?

I know Testmasters offers a service, but I was planning on looking at the Anna Ivey service, anyone have experience with them? Anyone ever used anyone else?

TheThriller

Re: Application Prep Companies/Counselors

Postby TheThriller » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:58 am

Mike Spivey (who posts on TLS) runs an admissions consultation thing. Check him out because he's the absolute man.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=197451

Helpmeplease

Postby Helpmeplease » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:51 am

There aren't more people who use this kind of service? I thought this was fairly common.

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:54 am

Please don't waste your money on that tripe.

Helpmeplease

Postby Helpmeplease » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:33 am

What makes them so bad? Looking the Testmasters/Blueprint set ups, I could see it being not worth it since you pay by the hour, seems to me like you don't have a committed counselor. But the Ivey system seems better with a dedicated counselor and not paying by the hour, you have someone to guide you through the process. Yeah, you could do it on your own by looking through this, but for someone who's working, isn't it helpful to have someone guide you through the process?

dr123

Postby dr123 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:39 am

Sounds like a scam

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:58 am

Helpmeplease wrote:Looking the Blueprint set ups, I could see it being not worth it since you pay by the hour, seems to me like you don't have a committed counselor.

You absolutely get a dedicated counselor through our application consulting program. And our packages aren't really hourly - we have the smaller packages so that we can offer services to people who might not be able to afford the unlimited package; the unlimited package gives you access to the same counselor until you're 100% happy with your application. Even if you pick up hours a la carte, you'll still be guaranteed to be working with the same person throughout.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Helpmeplease wrote:So I'm planning on using a application prep company (counselor?) to help me with my application. Yeah, I get that a lot of the information is available on here already if I just look, but with work, I think it's better to have that information streamlined through the counselor and would make a good investment. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for which one to use?

I know Testmasters offers a service, but I was planning on looking at the Anna Ivey service, anyone have experience with them? Anyone ever used anyone else?

helpme, here is my input which I imagine is highly biased being that I do.

1. Choose someone that has admissions file reading experience. I am utterly unware how anyone else could be of value because how in the world would they know what admissions offices look for?

2. I am aware of three people who have admissions file reading experience:
(1) Me
(2) Anne Levine
(3) Anna Ivey

3. Call all of us. Just ask all the questions that are important to you and pick whoever is the best fit for you. For all I know Levine and Ivey are the bestest in the world for you, and if so, I'd so go with one of them.

or (4) Ask Thriller :)

I will add that I think any of these three can help. There is a huge amount of false information out there, including on TLS. I agree with you (lol of course) that you want to button up every part of your application. I have never seen a flawless application and I've seen tens of thousands. Plus, my experience is that most people who apply to law school have no idea how to negotiate scholarship. It makes sense, they have never done it and law schools have years of experience. simple negotiation can increase your award money significantly.

I hope this helps!

onesmallstep

Postby onesmallstep » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:07 am

MikeSpivey wrote:helpme, here is my input which I imagine is highly biased being that I do.

1. Choose someone that has admissions file reading experience. I am utterly unware how anyone else could be of value because how in the world would they know what admissions offices look for?

(1) Me
(2) Anne Levine
(3) Anna Ivey

3. Call all of us. Just ask all the questions that are important to you and pick whoever is the best fit for you. For all I know Levine and Ivey are the bestest in the world for you, and if so, I'd so go with one of them.

I will add that I think any of these three can help. There is a huge amount of false information out there, including on TLS. I agree with you (lol of course) that you want to button up every part of your application. I have never seen a flawless application and I've seen tens of thousands. Plus, my experience is that most people who apply to law school have no idea how to negotiate scholarship. It makes sense, they have never done it and law schools have years of experience. simple negotiation can increase your award money significantly.

I hope this helps!

How does this work? Do all three of you consult applicants online or over the phone, or does it have to be a face-to-face thing?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:12 am

onesmallstep wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:helpme, here is my input which I imagine is highly biased being that I do.

(1) Me
(2) Anne Levine
(3) Anna Ivey

I hope this helps!

How does this work? Do all three of you consult applicants online or over the phone, or does it have to be a face-to-face thing?

Onesmallstep, I have no idea how the other two do it. I do a combination of A LOT of phone conversations, editing of written correspondence over email, mock skype interviews, and yes a few clients have flown me out to meet face to face.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”