Early Decision?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
prelaw14

Early Decision?

Postby prelaw14 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Last edited by prelaw14 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMostDangerousLG

Re: Early Decision?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:21 pm

prelaw14 wrote:For schools like Northwestern and GW, which give full-tuition scholarships to students accepted ED, can there be a downside to applying ED? Can other schools see if you applied ED somewhere?

Yes, the downside is that if you get in and potentially get appealing offers from other schools, you have to turn them down. You should only ED if you're positive that a school is your first choice.

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:34 pm

prelaw14 wrote:For schools like Northwestern and GW, which give full-tuition scholarships to students accepted ED, can there be a downside to applying ED? Can other schools see if you applied ED somewhere?

I recall reading about GW's full-tuition scholarships available to ED-accepted applicants. Does this mean that each and every applicant accepted ED will get a full-tuition scholarship or will only a select subset of those accepted ED be given the scholarship?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:00 am

prelaw14 wrote:Can other schools see if you applied ED somewhere?

No, other schools don't know where else you applied unless you tell them (usually during scholarship negotiations).

mx23250 wrote:I recall reading about GW's full-tuition scholarships available to ED-accepted applicants. Does this mean that each and every applicant accepted ED will get a full-tuition scholarship or will only a select subset of those accepted ED be given the scholarship?

If they are accepted ED, they get the full-ride. ED applicants can get accepted without the full-ride, but they would be deferred to RD first, meaning that they would no longer be obligated to attend if accepted. At least, that's how it works with NU; I'm assuming GW is the same.

prelaw14

Postby prelaw14 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:17 pm

Last edited by prelaw14 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:32 pm

prelaw14 wrote:I just found out BU also gives full tuition scholarships to students accepted ED (I'd like to work in Boston so this seems like a great offer). Would my stats (3.75 GPA, 173 LSAT) be competitive for either Northwestern, BU, or GW's ED programs?

Uhh.....have you looked at medians and such for those schools? With your stats, I don't think you should be applying to BU ED at all...

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Your numbers are competitive for everything but Yale and Stanford. Are you completely ruling out taking debt at HCCNP, cause debt at those schools is not really a bad bet. And you have the numbers for scholly money at CCN down - not full tuition but enough money to make them better options than BU and GW. If you've got a situation that makes zero debt the best option, I guess that's something only you know, but going ED to one of these programs that bind you to attending if admitted is a short-sell.

prelaw14

Postby prelaw14 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Last edited by prelaw14 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Yeah, you're very competitive for all of them, although the only one I would ED to is Northwestern because their employment numbers are in a completely different league and would give you a better shot at Boston biglaw than BU. If you really wanted to stay in Boston and only wanted to do small firm work, then maybe I could see why you would want to ED BU, but I still think you'd still be selling yourself short. If you insist on applying there, you could just apply RD, as they'll probably give you $$$ anyway, and compare that with the offers you'll get from T-14 schools. EDing NU would make sense if you absolutely have to have a full-ride, but as Tekrul said, you're competitive for $$ from CCN on down.

Without ED, these are your odds:

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:38 pm

^^^ WTF is up with Penn and UVA... Why are there numbers so crazy once you get back their 50% LSAT?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:14 pm

mvonh001 wrote:^^^ WTF is up with Penn and UVA... Why are there numbers so crazy once you get back their 50% LSAT?

They yield-protect.

Both of them have GPA medians above 3.8, so someone with a 3.75 is above the LSAT median but below the GPA median. But they know that such a candidate is above both medians at schools like Columbia, NYU, Michigan, Duke, Northwestern, and Cornell. So they know that a 173 / 3.7-.8 will probably get $$ at those other schools and they don't want to match those offers for someone who's only above one of their medians. Therefore, they're willing to take a bunch of splitters and reverse-splitters through ED, but will WL or reject most of those who apply RD. They'll then spend their money on people who are above both medians, although they may still yield-protect people who are too high above their medians because they may be looking at HYS or $$$ from CCN.

Widen the range, select ED only, and this is what you get:

Same range, RD only:

Plug in some stellar numbers instead and Penn will be a little more generous, but UVA is still insecure about its yield:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”