F Grades

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PittGirl90

F Grades

Postby PittGirl90 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:43 am

Hello,

In the first semester of my junior year I was advised to withdraw from the semester due to a traumatic experience but I did not. This resulted in me failing a 4 credit Human Physiology course. Then, in a later spring semester my advisor allowed me to enroll in a course I did not have the proper pre requisite for but she thought I could handle. I ended up struggling, but then bombing the exams and receiving another F. I couldn't withdraw from the course because my school has a policy that if you withdraw from a course from my program you have to withdraw from the entire term. I didn't want to do this because unlike the previous time my other grades were okay that semester. Then, in the summer I took a Biochemistry course and it was just plain difficult and I ended up with a D. So, I have 2 F's and 1 D on my transcript. What should I do to mitigate this? What type of law school would accept me? I'm really interested in attending Santa Clara, UC Davis, or Washington University. But I just don't know if that seems realistic....I'm willing to hear any and all advice. Thank you.

TheThriller

Re: F Grades

Postby TheThriller » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:45 am

Destroy the LSAT.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:48 am

Hi!

It's hard to provide feedback without more details. What is your overall GPA and what is your LSAT score (if you have taken it already)?

Generally, the only thing that matters is the overall GPA number. I have a friend with an F on her transcript who eventually got into several schools in the 15-25 range. (This is where her GPA and LSAT would have placed her anyway, the F seemed to have no effect on her cycle). However this was only 1 F - 2 might be more troubling.

PittGirl90

Postby PittGirl90 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:54 am

My overall GPA is a 3.25. I haven't taken the LSAT yet, I'll be taking it the end of next summer....

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:55 am

PittGirl90 wrote:My overall GPA is a 3.25. I haven't taken the LSAT yet, I'll be taking it the end of next summer....

There is no LSAT at the end of any summer.

PittGirl90

Postby PittGirl90 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:58 am

Sorry, exhausted. I just meant to say next June.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:59 am

PittGirl90 wrote:Sorry, exhausted. I just meant to say next June.

Just making sure. Good luck with the exam, a 170+ and you could be looking at a few T14 acceptances.

keviiiiiiiiiiiin

Postby keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:21 am

TheThriller wrote:Destroy the LSAT.

yep

A-Modest-Proposal

Postby A-Modest-Proposal » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:51 am

PittGirl90 wrote:Hello,

In the first semester of my junior year I was advised to withdraw from the semester due to a traumatic experience but I did not. This resulted in me failing a 4 credit Human Physiology course. Then, in a later spring semester my advisor allowed me to enroll in a course I did not have the proper pre requisite for but she thought I could handle. I ended up struggling, but then bombing the exams and receiving another F. I couldn't withdraw from the course because my school has a policy that if you withdraw from a course from my program you have to withdraw from the entire term. I didn't want to do this because unlike the previous time my other grades were okay that semester. Then, in the summer I took a Biochemistry course and it was just plain difficult and I ended up with a D. So, I have 2 F's and 1 D on my transcript. What should I do to mitigate this? What type of law school would accept me? I'm really interested in attending Santa Clara, UC Davis, or Washington University. But I just don't know if that seems realistic....I'm willing to hear any and all advice. Thank you.

Talk to someone in your schools administration about the possibility of having the F from the semester of your traumatic experience, to be converted to a W. I have heard that some students have been able to justify a withdrawal in writing and in person - given that their reasoning is sound a justified.

Of course I do not know your circumstances. Yet I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt and assume it was truly an unpleasant experience. In this case, you really need to speak with an academic advisor and attempt to have it changed. If you are successful, your GPA will receive a much needed boost.

PittGirl90

Postby PittGirl90 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:05 am

I already have and unfortunately the fact that I did spoke to them after the term was over is what caused them to be unable to remove it.

hiltopp01

Postby hiltopp01 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:26 am

/thread

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:24 pm

hiltopp01 wrote:

/thread

I had similar GPA craters. Had a muuuch lower GPA. Got a good LSAT score, some work experience, and the cycle turned out just fine. Got $$$ from Davis and WashU, among others. OP, feel free to PM if you want more details.

gnuwheels

Postby gnuwheels » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:31 pm

I had a 3.24 undergrad GPA and i'm at a T10. And medians have fallen a lot since I applied. A 170+ should get you a decent chance at a T10.

PittGirl90

Postby PittGirl90 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:47 pm

You don't they the F grades will be a concern? I just think even if my GPA is 3.25, there are still two big F's on my transcript which will raise red flags and be a huge negative?

thisiswater

Postby thisiswater » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:06 pm

PittGirl90 wrote:You don't they the F grades will be a concern? I just think even if my GPA is 3.25, there are still two big F's on my transcript which will raise red flags and be a huge negative?

Overall GPA is what they have to report and therefore what matters.

redsox

Postby redsox » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:14 pm

TheThriller wrote:
PittGirl90 wrote:My overall GPA is a 3.25. I haven't taken the LSAT yet, I'll be taking it the end of next summer....

There is no LSAT at the end of any summer.

The October LSAT is like...two weeks from the end of summer. That's pretty close.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”