So I talked to my pre-law advisor

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
buddyt

Re: So I talked to my pre-law advisor

Postby buddyt » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:10 pm

How can all of your threads be so bad?

There is nothing good that a pre-law adviser can tell you that can't be found with just a few minutes of Google, TLS, LST et al. Pre-law advisers have gone the way of TV repairmen and door-to-door vacuum salesmen.

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:16 pm

buddyt wrote:How can all of your threads be so bad?

There is nothing good that a pre-law adviser can tell you that can't be found with just a few minutes of Google, TLS, LST et al. Pre-law advisers have gone the way of TV repairmen and door-to-door vacuum salesmen.

How can your face deviate so much from the norm? Must be the product of generations of fetal alcohol syndrome.

Murk'd son stay mirin'.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:16 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:

How can your face deviate so much from the norm? Must be the product of generations of fetal alcohol syndrome.

Murk'd son stay mirin'.

Huh?

You should be thankful that you're receiving meaningful advice. If you've got a problem with that, go back and talk to your joke of a pre-law advisor.

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:11 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:

Murk'd son stay mirin'.

Huh?

You should be thankful that you're receiving meaningful advice. If you've got a problem with that, go back and talk to your joke of a pre-law advisor.

I already got the fact that pre-law advisors are bad. He didn't give any meaningful advice.
He said all my threads suck so I had to surgically, verbally give him a face-lift.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:38 am

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
I don't mean to speak for nickb285 but I assume by "branch out," he means to take some substantive classes (i.e., don't just take freshman cooking classes and Music 101). Y and S are arguably the only schools that seem to care about which classes you take; their philosophy is that you should be challenged in your UG, as opposed to other law schools only caring that your GPA is within their range.

Thanks for a good response. So do you think they want 300+ classes only their senior year? Or also junior year?

The level doesn't matter as much as what the class is. I took a 300 level gen Ed class called "Discovering the Universe." I guarantee that didn't help get me into Yale, but the many 3/400 level Latin translation and medieval literature classes I took may have, because they showed I was taking my education seriously within the subjects in which I was interested.

You got into Yale Law? Can you post your stats/internships etc?

Also what are some classes Y and S like to see? Do they want a lot of math and sciences?

My LSN profile has the info you want. I can't speak for S because they WLed me, but I don't think Yale cares about math and science. I took exactly one math class in college, and my science classes were stuff like "World Vegetables" and "Exploring Florida's Caves."

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:17 pm

The thing is, if a school is going to care about what classes you take, there isn't a clear-cut formula (Course X = 10 brownie points, Course Y = 5 brownie points). It's going to be a holistic thing where they look at all your courses, in combination with your PS and what you want to do and so on. As much as you diss drama and music classes, there's still not an easy way to judge rigor of a course (though I acknowledge that something like biomedical engineering is probably always going to look the most rigorous. But it likely also depends who reads your application, their background, what they value).

CalAlumni

Postby CalAlumni » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:08 pm

This.

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:35 am

[/quote]

My LSN profile has the info you want. I can't speak for S because they WLed me, but I don't think Yale cares about math and science. I took exactly one math class in college, and my science classes were stuff like "World Vegetables" and "Exploring Florida's Caves."[/quote]

How can I look at your LSN profile?

littlegiant

Postby littlegiant » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:12 am

Cicero76 wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
I don't mean to speak for nickb285 but I assume by "branch out," he means to take some substantive classes (i.e., don't just take freshman cooking classes and Music 101). Y and S are arguably the only schools that seem to care about which classes you take; their philosophy is that you should be challenged in your UG, as opposed to other law schools only caring that your GPA is within their range.

Thanks for a good response. So do you think they want 300+ classes only their senior year? Or also junior year?

The level doesn't matter as much as what the class is. I took a 300 level gen Ed class called "Discovering the Universe." I guarantee that didn't help get me into Yale, but the many 3/400 level Latin translation and medieval literature classes I took may have, because they showed I was taking my education seriously within the subjects in which I was interested.

Fellow Classics major, Latin specific. Party on

Alia iacta est

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:20 am

Does anybody know how many posts are needed before a body of work ban can be enacted from on high?

Edit: can't type
Last edited by BigZuck on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:10 am

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:

My LSN profile has the info you want. I can't speak for S because they WLed me, but I don't think Yale cares about math and science. I took exactly one math class in college, and my science classes were stuff like "World Vegetables" and "Exploring Florida's Caves."[/quote]

How can I look at your LSN profile?[/quote]

With your eyes would likely work best.

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:35 pm

kalvano wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:

My LSN profile has the info you want. I can't speak for S because they WLed me, but I don't think Yale cares about math and science. I took exactly one math class in college, and my science classes were stuff like "World Vegetables" and "Exploring Florida's Caves."

How can I look at your LSN profile?[/quote]

With your eyes would likely work best.[/quote]

If I respond to you and actually engage in a conversation with you, will it count as volunteer hours for assisting people with downsyndrome? I'm not sure if online conversation is credible.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:44 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:
kalvano wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:

How can I look at your LSN profile?

With your eyes would likely work best.[/quote]

If I respond to you and actually engage in a conversation with you, will it count as volunteer hours for assisting people with downsyndrome? I'm not sure if online conversation is credible.[/quote]

Again, I'm totally cool with trolling but you have got to make it funny, otherwise GTFO. You have the sense of humor of a 14 year old boy with a bad sense of humor.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:34 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:If I respond to you and actually engage in a conversation with you, will it count as volunteer hours for assisting people with downsyndrome? I'm not sure if online conversation is credible.

1.5 / 10. You can do better.

Also, learn to quote.

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:18 pm

[/quote]

Again, I'm totally cool with trolling but you have got to make it funny, otherwise GTFO. You have the sense of humor of a 14 year old boy with a bad sense of humor.[/quote]

I wasn't trying to be funny. I was being dead serious about the volunteer hours.
Did you think your little sarcastic use your eyes comment was funny? I hope not. I really don't know why you even bother trying brah. Your face deviates ridiculously from the norm - probably the product of generations of inbreeding + fetal alcohol syndrome. You will never be as aesthetic as me.

All you can do is mir' me from far away brah.

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:19 pm

kalvano wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:If I respond to you and actually engage in a conversation with you, will it count as volunteer hours for assisting people with downsyndrome? I'm not sure if online conversation is credible.

1.5 / 10. You can do better.

Also, learn to quote.

Your face is a 1/10. You can't do better.
Also, learn to shut the FUARK up brah.

Keep mirin'.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:20 pm

You can't be a real boy.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”