Application help

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
onesmallstep
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Application help

Postby onesmallstep » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:02 pm

I'm a noob and in need of your help, friends. Turns out my school doesn't have a pre-law advisor, so I'm kind of on my own... :(
I'm trying to apply for the 2013-2014 cycle.
I went into LSAC to start my applications but all of the schools only have Fall 2013/Transfer as options for terms. Realized that applications aren't even open yet.

Well then...
1. Should I still purchase CRS now?
2. How do I ask my professors for recommendations if the applications aren't open? Am I still able to list them as recommenders on my profile? What happens when I do that, by the way? Do they receive an email from LSAC telling them that I've listed them as a recommender, and will they also have access to the necessary forms, or do I have to print stuff out or download them and bring them materials they need? Can they upload/send LoRs to LSAC before applications are open?

HALP

User avatar
Tekrul
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: Application help

Postby Tekrul » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:24 pm

Applications will open in the fall. You should purchase CAS to get started uploading your transcript and lor's so they'll be ready to go as soon as schools start accepting apps. Also, the October test is the last test accepted for this upcoming cycle.

I'd ask them by email or in person if they would be willing to write you a strong letter or rec. If they agree, get all the info you'll need to fill out their recommendation form. You'll need to find the professors' university address, full name, and phone/email contact info on your own - you supply this information to LSAC and the web form automatically produces a form that they need to attach to their letter of rec.

You'll have to give these professors this form after youve checked and signed the waiver included on the form. I'd also prepare a short cover letter for your professors letting them know you're interested in law school and what you want them to include in the letter of rec - for example a focus on academic/intellectual capacity and demonstration, ability to succeed in law school, maturity. Let them know what your top school is if you want a school specific letter, and include what you'd like them to include in it, such as your proven academic interest in a field that the law school you've chosen is known for. You'll have to make another automatically generated lor form from LSAC with a different title. For example 'For All Law Schools' vs. 'For X Law School' vs. 'For Law Schools with Strong International Programs'. Also, clearly note in your letter the deadline you need their lor by and remind them to sign the lsac form and the lor they write. Give them a copy of your best work from class if you are asking professors from larger class sizes since they likely wouldn't have had an opportunity to get to know you personally. That said, professors you know more intimately will make better choices for lor writers.

LSAC will not send notification to the professors that you've chosen them, so technically you can just put them on there in anticipation, but I'd just get their permission first. I believe they and you will receive notification when their letter has been received and processed by LSAC.

So in one packet give them the LSAC lor form (waived with your signature), a cover letter, a copy of your work from class, and a pre addressed, stamped envelope to LSAC for them to send their lor in.
Last edited by Tekrul on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NanaP
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Re: Application help

Postby NanaP » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:32 pm

onesmallstep wrote:I'm a noob and in need of your help, friends. Turns out my school doesn't have a pre-law advisor, so I'm kind of on my own... :(
I'm trying to apply for the 2013-2014 cycle.
I went into LSAC to start my applications but all of the schools only have Fall 2013/Transfer as options for terms. Realized that applications aren't even open yet.

Well then...
1. Should I still purchase CRS now?
2. How do I ask my professors for recommendations if the applications aren't open? Am I still able to list them as recommenders on my profile? What happens when I do that, by the way? Do they receive an email from LSAC telling them that I've listed them as a recommender, and will they also have access to the necessary forms, or do I have to print stuff out or download them and bring them materials they need? Can they upload/send LoRs to LSAC before applications are open?

HALP


I would purchase CAS unless you are planning on getting an LSAC fee waiver, then I would wait until a decision is made. If not then apply now, and get everything you need out of the way. When you list a recommender is just generates a cover sheet, you also have the option to email the request. I just printed it out and handed it to my recommenders. Also the 2013/2014 cycle isn't open yet until the fall. But it's a good idea to get everything out of the way now. I assume you haven't processed your transcripts either? I believe you need CAS to do that.
Last edited by NanaP on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NanaP
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Re: Application help

Postby NanaP » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Tekrul wrote:Applications will open in the fall. You should purchase CAS to get started uploading your transcript and lor's so they'll be ready to go as soon as schools start accepting apps. Also, the October test is the last test accepted for this upcoming cycle.



What do you mean the October test is the last test accepted? That's not true, you still have December, and even February for some schools.

User avatar
Tekrul
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: Application help

Postby Tekrul » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:45 pm

NanaP wrote:
Tekrul wrote:Applications will open in the fall. You should purchase CAS to get started uploading your transcript and lor's so they'll be ready to go as soon as schools start accepting apps. Also, the October test is the last test accepted for this upcoming cycle.



What do you mean the October test is the last test accepted? That's not true, you still have December, and even February for some schools.


I meant to say for early decision. Thanks for pointing that out.

User avatar
laotze
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Application help

Postby laotze » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:46 pm

NanaP wrote:
Tekrul wrote:Applications will open in the fall. You should purchase CAS to get started uploading your transcript and lor's so they'll be ready to go as soon as schools start accepting apps. Also, the October test is the last test accepted for this upcoming cycle.



What do you mean the October test is the last test accepted? That's not true, you still have December, and even February for some schools.


Obviously you're right, but in practice it's a good idea to pretend the October test is the "last test accepted" for initial applications and plan accordingly.

User avatar
onesmallstep
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Re: Application help

Postby onesmallstep » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:49 pm

You just print out a cover sheet, bring it to your recommender, who writes a letter and then sends it via snail mail to the address of LSAC?
I noticed that there is an option to name someone a recommender and evaluator. Is there an advantage to having your professor fill out an evaluation form on top of writing a recommendation letter?

User avatar
laotze
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Application help

Postby laotze » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:50 pm

onesmallstep wrote:You just print out a cover sheet, bring it to your recommender, who writes a letter and then sends it via snail mail to the address of LSAC?
I noticed that there is an option to name someone a recommender and evaluator. Is there an advantage to having your professor fill out an evaluation form on top of writing a recommendation letter?


According to Dean Zearfoss of UMich, yes, there can be an advantage to having a good evaluation or two.

User avatar
onesmallstep
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Re: Application help

Postby onesmallstep » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:57 pm

Excellent, thank you so much everyone :) I guess I should get crackin' on getting that CAS and visiting my professors.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Application help

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:02 pm

.
Last edited by t-14orbust on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Application help

Postby Clearly » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:08 pm

it's up to you, if your transcript will be updated by the time you apply in Sept it would be a waste of time to send them now since you will send new copies anyway. If they won't be updated by Sept, I'd submit these so you have a gpa to apply with, then update once the final version is ready. Also, LORs can now be submitted online by your recommender.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138, WamBamThankYouMaam and 4 guests