USD vs Pepperdine Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BigZuck

Diamond

Re: USD vs Pepperdine

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:49 pm

The Dark Kite wrote:
californiauser wrote:OP should literally do the opposite of this post.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=santaclara

Recommending a school that gives one a 40% chance of becoming a lawyer is dangerous and irresponsible.
Oh. Lol. Take it easy, chief. I'm just saying... if the guy has made his decision and doesn't want to retake, going to USD isn't much better, is it? Nor is Pepperdine for that matter. I'm just working with what he said. And I amended my original post. BUT, that being said, for people who are applying outside the T50, it will take networking, talent, and luck and location plays a big role in advancing that. Places like NYLS (Unranked, T3/4) are still better than places like Syracuse. So it's not all about rankings and employment percentages. But whatever.
And the VAST majority of people attending schools outside of the top 50 (which is an arbitrary distinction, it's really more like the top 20 or so and maybe even the top 13) should not be going to law school. If law school wasn't so expensive and the job prospects so dismal that wouldn't be the case. But it is what it is and so most people shouldn't be going.

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:53 pm

You don't want to have to rely on luck when it comes to paying off your debt.

The Dark Kite

Bronze

Post by The Dark Kite » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:You don't want to have to rely on luck when it comes to paying off your debt.
I couldn't agree more. And honestly, I do agree with what you're all saying completely. But the discussion is moot because whether or not people should apply to schools outside the T50 - or, as Zuck accurately pointed out, the T20 - is irrelevant because they are continuing to do so. That being a fact, I'm just commenting past the point.. i.e., once a decision has been made to apply/attend a school like USD or Pepperdine, it's going to fall on luck. But you can at least position yourself better by applying to markets that aren't too saturated or markets that provide good networking opportunities.

But yes. ROI outside the T20 is seldom positive by comparison. I agree.

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:08 pm

The Dark Kite wrote:I couldn't agree more. And honestly, I do agree with what you're all saying completely. But the discussion is moot because whether or not people should apply to schools outside the T50 - or, as Zuck accurately pointed out, the T20 - is irrelevant because they are continuing to do so. That being a fact, I'm just commenting past the point.. i.e., once a decision has been made to apply/attend a school like USD or Pepperdine, it's going to fall on luck. But you can at least position yourself better by applying to markets that aren't too saturated or markets that provide good networking opportunities.

But yes. ROI outside the T20 is seldom positive by comparison. I agree.
By even answering his stupid fucking question you're validating the misinformation in his head that led him to think these were two decent options that needed to be weighed against each other. I get that your heart is kind of in the right place in picking the least terrible of the terrible options, but you need to reject the premise. This kid's only sane options are to retake the LSAT or not attend law school.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:43 am

The Dark Kite wrote:
californiauser wrote:OP should literally do the opposite of this post.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=santaclara

Recommending a school that gives one a 40% chance of becoming a lawyer is dangerous and irresponsible.
Oh. Lol. Take it easy, chief. I'm just saying... if the guy has made his decision and doesn't want to retake, going to USD isn't much better, is it? Nor is Pepperdine for that matter. I'm just working with what he said. And I amended my original post. BUT, that being said, for people who are applying outside the T50, it will take networking, talent, and luck and location plays a big role in advancing that. Places like NYLS (Unranked, T3/4) are still better than places like Syracuse. So it's not all about rankings and employment percentages. But whatever.
Where in my post did I bring up rankings? It's all about employment numbers, nothing else . "Working with what OP gives us" shouldn't be relevant. Employment stats are objective.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Dark Kite

Bronze

Post by The Dark Kite » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:15 am

Californiauser wrote:"Working with what OP gives us" shouldn't be relevant.
Oh. So responding to the inquiry of a user who specifically and explicitly says he doesn't want to be told to retake and that he's deciding among schools in the Cali market - USD & Pepperdine - is irrelevant? Seems legit. My bad.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:21 am

The Dark Kite wrote:
Oh. So responding to the inquiry of a user who specifically and explicitly says he doesn't want to be told to retake and that he's deciding among schools in the Cali market - USD & Pepperdine - is irrelevant? Seems legit. My bad.
Yeah

*insert hyperbolic TLS suicide analogy here*

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:23 am

The Dark Kite wrote:
The thing is that OP is wrong thinking these are the only options. Retaking and not going to law school are always options.

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:20 am

The Dark Kite wrote:Oh. So responding to the inquiry of a user who specifically and explicitly says he doesn't want to be told to retake and that he's deciding among schools in the Cali market - USD & Pepperdine - is irrelevant? Seems legit. My bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:03 pm

The Dark Kite wrote:
If someone asks me whether they should kill themselves with a knife or a gun, I'll do everything in my power to convince them NOT to kill themselves. I approach law school admissions the same way. These tuition prices can easily ruin someone's life.

JasonH

New

Post by JasonH » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:06 am

I just flipped a coin and it said to go to Pepperdine. This way you won't have to blame yourself 3 years from now...you can blame the coin for only having two sides....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”