i want a juicy rec REALLY BAD

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
turtles

i want a juicy rec REALLY BAD

Postby turtles » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Deleted
Last edited by turtles on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Presidentjlh

Re: i want a juicy rec REALLY BAD

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:27 pm

More important question: What's your GPA and LSAT? Law school is a numbers game. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Still, recommendations can help nudge you in the right direction. To be honest, you'll want professors and employers, not TAs. Even if the TA is an expert writer. Just my personal opinion.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:40 pm

If your numbers are real, enjoy HS and possibly Y.

turtles

Postby turtles » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:08 pm

deleted
Last edited by turtles on Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jselson

Postby jselson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:24 pm

I don't think it matters much with your stats, but someone who knows you better personally is better than someone who doesn't. The only thing I would be concerned about is that TAs generally don't have a lot of experience writing LORs. I wrote my first one for a student this past quarter whom I thought I knew well, and it turned out to be a pretty big challenge to say something specific rather than generic. But really, it's not gonna make a difference (except maybe at YS since they're black boxes).

turtles

Postby turtles » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:27 pm

deleted
Last edited by turtles on Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jselson

Postby jselson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:42 pm

turtles wrote:
jselson wrote:I don't think it matters much with your stats, but someone who knows you better personally is better than someone who doesn't. The only thing I would be concerned about is that TAs generally don't have a lot of experience writing LORs. I wrote my first one for a student this past quarter whom I thought I knew well, and it turned out to be a pretty big challenge to say something specific rather than generic. But really, it's not gonna make a difference (except maybe at YS since they're black boxes).

after reading a couple of forum threads, i ended up under the impression that recommenders are allowed (like nothing illicit) to show you their recommendations even if you waive the right to see it. is that a thing?

They can, but it's very bad form to ask them to do this. Some will volunteer it, though. But don't count on it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”