Is This a Good Improvement in GPA and Class Rank? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tigress

New

Is This a Good Improvement in GPA and Class Rank?

Post by Tigress » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:13 pm

I went from 3.180 in the Fall and a class rank of 38/153 to 3.420 and a class rank of 30/149. Is this a substantial improvement?

Thanks,

Presidentjlh

Silver

Re: Is This a Good Improvement in GPA and Class Rank?

Post by Presidentjlh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:50 pm

It's nice.

But, more importantly, what's your LSAT score (if you've taken it), and how many years do you have left in UG? Can you increase that GPA above 3.6?

mx23250

Silver

Post by mx23250 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:It's nice.

But, more importantly, what's your LSAT score (if you've taken it), and how many years do you have left in UG? Can you increase that GPA above 3.6?
I would imagine you're pretty early in your undergrad career (freshman/sophomore?) if you can improve that much in just one semester. To answer your question, yes, 3.18 to a 3.42 is a substantial improvement, especially for 1 semester. If you still have at least two years left, which I suspect, work hard to continue improving it.

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:09 pm

mx23250 wrote:

I would imagine you're pretty early in your undergrad career (freshman/sophomore?) if you can improve that much in just one semester. To answer your question, yes, 3.18 to a 3.42 is a substantial improvement, especially for 1 semester. If you still have at least two years left, which I suspect, work hard to continue improving it.
This. Keep up the good work, continue to aim above your cumulative GPA each semester, and then give yourself 4 months to prepare for the LSAT whenever you decide to take it.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:44 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
mx23250 wrote:

This. Keep up the good work, continue to aim above your cumulative GPA each semester, and then give yourself 4 months to prepare for the LSAT whenever you decide to take it.
OP is rising 2L trying to transfer from Valparaiso law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:53 pm

txdude45 wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:
mx23250 wrote:

what a Valparaiso law school?

Tigress

New

Post by Tigress » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:04 pm

txdude45 wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:
mx23250 wrote:

Yes, what do you think, is this increase remarkable? I also got the HA in Constitutional Law, for a non-native English speaker, is this impressive?

I am not trying to brag in the least, more trying to get some assurance

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:07 pm

I'm more intrigued now that you mentioned you're a non-native English speaker. Are you URM?

Tigress

New

Post by Tigress » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:I'm more intrigued now that you mentioned you're a non-native English speaker. Are you URM?
I believe so. I am from Saudi Arabia. There are hardly any Saudi students studying law, much less women.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:28 pm

Tigress wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:I'm more intrigued now that you mentioned you're a non-native English speaker. Are you URM?
I believe so. I am from Saudi Arabia. There are hardly any Saudi students studying law, much less women.
Well, in any event, yes, keep up the good work, and being a Saudi woman can certainly help, or, at least, it definitely will not hurt you.

I don't know if you would qualify for URM, but if you do, you'd need to aim for probably a 3.5/170-172 for HYS, and if not, 3.8/176 for HYS.

Good luck.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
Tigress wrote:
Well, in any event, yes, keep up the good work, and being a Saudi woman can certainly help, or, at least, it definitely will not hurt you.

I don't know if you would qualify for URM, but if you do, you'd need to aim for probably a 3.5/170-172 for HYS, and if not, 3.8/176 for HYS.

Good luck.
Tigress wrote:
txdude45 wrote:OP is rising 2L trying to transfer from Valparaiso law school.
Yes, what do you think, is this increase remarkable? I also got the HA in Constitutional Law, for a non-native English speaker, is this impressive?

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:38 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:
Tigress wrote:

Good luck.
Tigress wrote:
txdude45 wrote:OP is rising 2L trying to transfer from Valparaiso law school.

Oh. Well I'm dumb.

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:45 pm

So you're top 20%? I would think, considering how poorly-ranked Valparaiso is, that you would need to be one of the top 5 people (or better) in the class to be able to transfer to a T14. But I don't really know how this stuff works. Shouldn't this be posted in the Transfers forum?

And in any case, Mideastern isn't considered URM, so you wouldn't get any formal boost. You might get some general diversity points on the margins, but nothing big.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigress

New

Post by Tigress » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Regulus wrote:Brought to you by the creator of threads such as:
-Is this paragraph well-written?
-Are these terrible sentences?
-Do You Like This Paragraph? How Can I Make it Better?
-Where Do I Put the LSAC Number on the Personal Statement?
-Important Question!
-Last Thing Dear Readers
-Read This Please and Let me Know What You Think
-Anything Wrong with this?
-Before I Submit, Any Last Suggestions?
-Silly Yet Crucial Questions
-Your Opinion is Much Needed--Critiquing First Paragraph
-Do You Capitalize Your Name in the Email in the Resume?
-Do You Paginate a Personal Statement?
-What school should I transfer to?
-Transfer question
-Is B+ a good grade on Civil Procedure?

Based on your previous questions, it makes me wonder how you ever got into law school in the first place. Most of these would be commonsensical to even a 0L, yet you've been asking them as a current law student. Also, if you are going to come into the "Law School Admissions" forum and randomly post your law school grades without stating that it is your LGPA, the automatic assumption is that it is your UGPA, in which case neither a 3.1 nor a 3.4 are good grades. You need to 1) specify this in your original post, and 2) ask this stuff in the "Forum for Law Students" or "Transfers" forums. The randomness of the forums that you've posted in and the simplicity of your questions makes me think that 1) you're either a troll or 2) TTTTs don't actually read applicants' applications.
I am smarter than you and certainly much more civilized. If you don't have actual contribution to offer that benefit me and the reader, then kindly don't ever post anything on my threads.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:05 pm

Regulus wrote:
Tigress wrote:I am smarter than you
:lol:
Regulus wrote:
Tigress wrote:If you don't have actual contribution to offer that benefit me and the reader, then kindly don't ever post anything on my threads.
if you are going to come into the "Law School Admissions" forum and randomly post your law school grades without stating that it is your LGPA, the automatic assumption is that it is your UGPA, in which case neither a 3.1 nor a 3.4 are good grades. You need to 1) specify this in your original post, and 2) ask this stuff in the "Forum for Law Students" or "Transfers" forums.
:lol:
I dunno. English isn't her first language and she is from a completely different culture. People start threads in the wrong place all the time. I think she can get some support for what she is trying to do. She has done well at law school and is trying to get into a better school. Why not help her out?

As mentioned, It is possible to just ignore threads.

OP: you can only work with the grades you have. You can call it substantial if you want. Just go for it with your transfer apps.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:09 pm

NYstate wrote:
I dunno. English isn't her first language and she is from a completely different culture. People start threads in the wrong place all the time. I think she can get some support for what she is trying to do. She has done well at law school and is trying to get into a better school. Why not help her out?

As mentioned, It is possible to just ignore threads.

OP: you can only work with the grades you have. You can call it substantial if you want. Just go for it with your transfer apps.

And she has yelled at people who have tried to help her in multiple threads and insulted them when she's the one asking other's for advice.

Obviously she's from a different culture, and i wish her the best with her ambitions... But I hope IRL she takes advice a little bit better

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:16 pm

I am smarter than you and certainly much more civilized. If you don't have actual contribution to offer that benefit me and the reader, then kindly don't ever post anything on my threads.[/quote]
Clearly you're much more civilized...

Tigress

New

Post by Tigress » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Yelled at people? did I? For all I know, some people here take perverse delight in being unnecessarily offensive to me. I wonder why that is?

And for the person who is trying ever so valiantly to present me as dumb, again I took HA in Constitutional Law were others left the exam in tears. My GPA is 3.4 and I memorized the entire Constitution while the majority of law students, much less Americans, did not even read it. I wonder how you would fare if you are to venture studying my law, in Arabic, you wouldn't probably even succeed, would you? to make generalizations about someone's intelligence without factoring in their linguistic and cultural particularity is a huge sign of stupidity.

You think that because I enrolled in Valpo Law then I am probably not that bright but the whole reason I enrolled in it is because I was recovering from TB and was on a student visa. How could one possibly study for the LSAT while suffering from that disease, huh? By the time I recovered, I was running dangerously out of time and had to be in compliance with the immigration rules. I would probably have made it to Yale had I but world enough and time.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:04 pm

Tigress wrote:Yelled at people? did I? For all I know, some people here take perverse delight in being unnecessarily offensive to me. I wonder why that is?

And for the person who is trying ever so valiantly to present me as dumb, again I took HA in Constitutional Law were others left the exam in tears. My GPA is 3.4 and I memorized the entire Constitution while the majority of law students, much less Americans, did not even read it. I wonder how you would fare if you are to venture studying my law, in Arabic, you wouldn't probably even succeed, would you? to make generalizations about someone's intelligence without factoring in their linguistic and cultural particularity is a huge sign of stupidity.

You think that because I enrolled in Valpo Law then I am probably not that bright but the whole reason I enrolled in it is because I was recovering from TB and was on a student visa. How could one possibly study for the LSAT while suffering from that disease, huh? By the time I recovered, I was running dangerously out of time and had to be in compliance with the immigration rules. I would probably have made it to Yale had I but world enough and time.
alright easy there tiger. one book award (assuming thats what an HA is) doesn't mean you were on the superhighway to Yale.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:09 pm

Also is the GPA coming from your school supposed to be impressive? If you really were Yale material, shouldn't you be able to transfer there with that stellar 3.4?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:11 pm

Also OP, the ability to memorize is not synonymous with intelligence.

Tigress

New

Post by Tigress » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:17 pm

scotth724 wrote:Also OP, the ability to memorize is not synonymous with intelligence.
Are you trying to be hurtful? because you come across as merely pathetic. I am not even going to talk to you anymore so go away "Yale material"

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:20 pm

Tigress wrote:
scotth724 wrote:Also OP, the ability to memorize is not synonymous with intelligence.
Are you trying to be hurtful? because you come across as merely pathetic. I am not even going to talk to you anymore so go away "Yale material"
i think he was aiming for honesty

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”