What is considered a transcript filled with easy classes?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TheBiggerMediocre

What is considered a transcript filled with easy classes?

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:35 pm

How does this look to you (for the last semester before applying to law school as a semi-senior):

Accounting 101
Computer Science 101
Philosophy 101
English 200
Philosophy 200
Political Science 200
Film 250
Political Science 250

jbagelboy

Re: What is considered a transcript filled with easy classes?

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:39 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote:How does this look to you (for the last semester before applying to law school as a semi-senior):

Accounting 101
Computer Science 101
Philosophy 101
English 200
Philosophy 200
Political Science 200
Film 250
Political Science 250

What are the actual names of the courses? They can't be only numbered. Also taking 7 classes in one semester would be tough no matter what they were

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Only thing that matters is GPA. Nobody will hold taking easy classes against you

TheBiggerMediocre

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:43 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
TheBiggerMediocre wrote:How does this look to you (for the last semester before applying to law school as a semi-senior):

Accounting 101 Intro
Computer Science 101 intro
Philosophy 101 intro
English 200 business
Philosophy 200 Ancient philosophy
Political Science 200 Congress
Film 250 polysci related
Political Science 250 labor law

What are the actual names of the courses? They can't be only numbered. Also taking 7 classes in one semester would be tough no matter what they were

It was 8 classes and they were not tough nor time consuming for the most part.

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Only thing that matters is GPA. Nobody will hold taking easy classes against you

Then why even consider your GPA?

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:46 pm

They don't care. I could give you a list of easy sounding courses on my transcript but just take my word that they don't care.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:51 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Accounting 101 Intro
Computer Science 101 intro
Philosophy 101 intro
English 200 business
Philosophy 200 Ancient philosophy
Political Science 200 Congress
Film 250 polysci related
Political Science 250 labor law

It was 8 classes and they were not tough nor time consuming for the most part.

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Only thing that matters is GPA. Nobody will hold taking easy classes against you

Then why even consider your GPA?

GPA is part of the USNWR rankings methodology

Eta: pad your GPA by taking easy classes, retake LSAT and get a few more points, enjoy HYS

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:54 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote:Then why even consider your GPA?

1. Because it's important for their rankings which rely primarily on LSAT/GPA.
2. It shows general ability to maintain academic priorities over a long period of time.

It is precisely because classes are so hard to discern their difficulty relative to every other applicant's school, class, professor and TA, that the LSAT is so important in making admission decisions. The only thing I could see giving them pause is significant, school-wide grade inflation (and even then, probably not much) and maybe select majors with very little academically relevant components. I've heard Music majors blame their majors for bad cycles, but I couldn't tell you with any degree of certainty how reliable that reasoning is.

TheBiggerMediocre

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:00 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
TheBiggerMediocre wrote:Then why even consider your GPA?

1. Because it's important for their rankings which rely primarily on LSAT/GPA.
2. It shows general ability to maintain academic priorities over a long period of time.

It is precisely because classes are so hard to discern their difficulty relative to every other applicant's school, class, professor and TA, that the LSAT is so important in making admission decisions. The only thing I could see giving them pause is significant, school-wide grade inflation (and even then, probably not much) and maybe select majors with very little academically relevant components. I've heard Music majors blame their majors for bad cycles, but I couldn't tell you with any degree of certainty how reliable that reasoning is.

What if I happen to go to large public college where easy classes are touted as the best courses but somehow the average GPA is still 3.1?

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:20 pm

Not nobody. But almost nobody.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Ti Malice wrote:

Touché. Yale and Stanford might care a little

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:25 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

I keep hearing this. How much do they care? Do they want to see only 300+ lvl courses after junior year? Or do they just want us to avoid drama classes etc.

Postby 2014 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:53 am

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

I keep hearing this. How much do they care? Do they want to see only 300+ lvl courses after junior year? Or do they just want us to avoid drama classes etc.

No one knows. They just have small class sizes, high yields, and low acceptance rates and so clearly there is something else going on other than LSAT/GPA, and people hypothesize that class selection might be playing a role. Yale's faculty review of applications throws a wrench into things as well because academics probably care more about class selection than admissions people do, but there's no way to predict what will catch a random professor's eye positively or negatively.

You might have straight intro to X classes on there and a faculty member could think "wow that's great, this person is really trying to maintain diverse interests in several academic fields" or you could have awesome sounding advanced major classes but the faculty member just doesn't care about your area of study and is not intrigued.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”