What is needed for a full ride?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jgibbs444

What is needed for a full ride?

Postby jgibbs444 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:52 pm

I am currently an undergraduate student majoring in engineering, and I was just curious as to what credentials are required/needed for a full ride to schools like UMN, UWISC, UMICH, UChic, and Northwestern.

GPA?
LSAT?
Need-based?

Thanks!

Dmini7

Re: What is needed for a full ride?

Postby Dmini7 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:55 pm

jgibbs444 wrote:I am currently an undergraduate student majoring in engineering, and I was just curious as to what credentials are required/needed for a full ride to schools like UMN, UWISC, UMICH, UChic, and Northwestern.

GPA?
LSAT?
Need-based?

Thanks!

GPA=above 75th percentile
LSAT= above 75th percentile
need-based=(unknown?)

In all seriousness, its hard to predict what will get you a full ride. For NU, apply ED and if your accepted you get a full ride, thats really the only one I can tell you at.

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:03 pm

generally getting your LSAT/GPA above the schools 75% will get you close to a full ride (or possible the full ride). However plenty of applicants will have those grades so you'd need something on your resume/LOR/personal statement to stand out.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:11 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:However plenty of applicants will have those grades so you'd needsomething on your resume/LOR/personal statement your LSAT score to stand out.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Midwest is the best

Sometimes above both medians will cut it at places that only care about medians (UMN). My ex is on a full ride there and her stats were 168/3.8

Typically above both 75ths though.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:22 pm

WUSTL just gave out full rides to 3.3/166 applicants

Probably because they desperately want to keep their 166 median and were not 100% confident they would

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:42 pm

NU full ride will be a lot more challenging to procure than minnesota or wustl

UMN was giving full rides to 3.75+/167, WUSTL to 3.x/166, and NU to 3.8/172+.

Solistus

Postby Solistus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:19 pm

My situation was pretty different than yours will be (non-STEM major, couple years off with some work experience after undergrad, applied late in the cycle), but a 3.32/176 got me a half tuition scholarship from Northwestern, and >100k offers from Minnesota and UC Davis.

The schools you listed have a HUGE range. Numbers that would put you in the running for a full ride at U Wisconsin might not even get you admitted at U Chicago.

Bear in mind that a 'full ride' doesn't mean you will graduate with 0 debt, unless you have money saved up for three years of living expenses, books, moving costs, health insurance, etc. Depending on the area and assuming you stick to a typical student budget, you're looking at maybe 60-70k over 3 years. It's very rare to get enough of a stipend to fully cover your law school expenses, and for most of us without several years' living expenses in the bank, that means taking on at least a little student loan debt. Full rides mean *less* debt, not no debt, and whether that makes them the best choice or not depends on what offers you have on the table from schools with better employment outcomes. Usually, if you get a full ride from one school, it's only because they are pretty sure you will have good offers coming in from even better schools.

nyjets2090

Postby nyjets2090 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Totally depends on the school.

For t14s, they generally hand out full rides to people with #s that make them strong admits at schools above them. If you're a strong admit at say CCN for example, you're probably in the run for a full ride at MVP. Strong admits at HYS are competitive for a Hamilton. I'd tend to think this gets less rigid as you go lower in the rankings (WUSTL's making it rain right now).

Need-based is obviously completely different from merit-based. HYS by far have the best need-based programs.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:39 pm

Nova wrote:WUSTL just gave out full rides to 3.3/166 applicants

Probably because they desperately want to keep their 166 median and were not 100% confident they would

And it was the best e-mail I ever got.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”