Will this class count in my LSAC GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crazi4law

Will this class count in my LSAC GPA?

Postby crazi4law » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:38 am

Hi everyone

I have a class that is not being counted in my university GPA because I took a higher-level course first. It is on my completed courses report, but it says: COURSE WORK NOT APPLICABLE TOWARD UNIT REQUIREMENT DUE TO EXCEEDING CREDIT LIMITATIONS. My advisor told me that it would not count in my LSAC GPA, but I was wondering if anyone here can confirm or refute that?

Thanks!

FKASunny

Re: Will this class count in my LSAC GPA?

Postby FKASunny » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:52 am

crazi4law wrote:Hi everyone

I have a class that is not being counted in my university GPA because I took a higher-level course first. It is on my completed courses report, but it says: COURSE WORK NOT APPLICABLE TOWARD UNIT REQUIREMENT DUE TO EXCEEDING CREDIT LIMITATIONS. My advisor told me that it would not count in my LSAC GPA, but I was wondering if anyone here can confirm or refute that?

Thanks!

Your advisor probably doesn't know what they're talking about. If there is a grade on your transcript, LSAC will most likely count it. The best way to find out is to submit your transcript and wait for them to process it.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:34 am

Pre-law advisors, as a rule, are completely useless human beings, and yours is no exception. The LSAC doesn't care about your school's rules on whether or under what circumstances a course counts toward a degree/major. They count all college-level courses with grades assigned.

Don't listen to anything your pre-law advisor says. For anything non-obvious, they're almost always wrong.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Pre-law advisors, as a rule, are completely useless human beings, and yours is no exception. The LSAC doesn't care about your school's rules on whether or under what circumstances a course counts toward a degree/major. They count all college-level courses with grades assigned.

Don't listen to anything your pre-law advisor says. For anything non-obvious, they're almost always wrong.

Preach, Ti Malice.

North

Postby North » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:30 pm

That class will count.

Fucking pre-law advisors.

ThetaX

Postby ThetaX » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:42 pm

To join in one the pre-law advisor bashing, I had to beg them to let me take summer classes at a CC to boost my GPA. They told me that it would hurt my chances of getting into Law School. The advisor was boasting she got someone into Harvard, but I discovered that the person in question had a 3.9/176... wonder how much of that was her doing.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:52 pm

My pre-law advisor once told me I should get an internship at a law firm and then try to get a LOR from one of the partners.

His premise was that that LOR would pretty much prove that I would be a good lawyer since it is actually written by an attorney.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:21 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:Pre-law advisors, as a rule, are completely useless human beings, and yours is no exception. The LSAC doesn't care about your school's rules on whether or under what circumstances a course counts toward a degree/major. They count all college-level courses with grades assigned.

Preach, Ti Malice.

This.

Any college level course that is on your transcript that was received before your first bachelors degree will be counted. This includes classes that were retaken, courses that didn't go towards your major or minor or fulfill general requirements, courses you took in high school at a local CC.

Even Matt Leinart's ballroom dancing class he took as his only class his last semester at USC so he could play football, would count.

Here is the official word.

http://www.lsac.org/policies/transcript ... zation.asp

crazi4law

Postby crazi4law » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:26 pm

thanks for the help everyone!

actually the advisor who told me that the class would not count was not a pre-law advisor haha. but i agree that prelaw advisors are generally quite misinformed about a lot of things :p

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”