Cherry picking easy classes; HYS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Cherry picking easy classes; HYS

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:51 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:"Hard UG classes" is a fucking flame.

How can they even tell one class is more rigorous than another class?

Cause "it's higher numbered than other classes" ?

give me a brake.


You've got it, Dre:

--ImageRemoved--


UG classes objectively more than 5 times harder than any law course:

Differential equations
Solid state electronics

I don't care if you are taking them at University of Retards South Arkansas, they are tougher than anything Harvard Law has.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Cherry picking easy classes; HYS

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:"Hard UG classes" is a fucking flame.

How can they even tell one class is more rigorous than another class?

Cause "it's higher numbered than other classes" ?

give me a brake.


You've got it, Dre:

--ImageRemoved--


UG classes objectively more than 5 times harder than any law course:

Differential equations
Solid state electronics

I don't care if you are taking them at University of Retards South Arkansas, they are tougher than anything Harvard Law has.


Really? My ODE class soph yr was far from the hardest courses I took in UG. Even advanced PDEs was doable compared to real analysis or analytic topography. Now E&M? You're right, that shit was hard

If this is true, im very excited for law school

And dre, you do realize how much of a flame your statement is? There are so many ways to distinguish challenging coursework from joke. For example, a class with one 10 pg paper vs four 15 page papers and one 25 page reaearch paper. Its easy to tell which will require more work. Or an international relations class with a multiple choice exam (ultimate joke) vs 2nd semester ochem. Or open book exam classes (lol). Or just the qualitative depth and rigor of the material depending on the subject. But I know your shtich is that nothing matters except LSAT/GPA/being AA so you'll stick to it against all reason

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22779
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Cherry picking easy classes; HYS

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:26 pm

To be fair to Dre (in this one case only...), it's not like law schools get copies of the syllabi of your classes, nor are the course requirements listed on your transcript. No one will know whether that "History of the French Revolution" course has 2 multiple-choice finals or a 50-pp research paper, or whether the exams were open or closed book. (Only exception: if the prof who writes your LOR goes into the requirements for their course. And even then, no prof likes to think their own classes are cakewalks, so they'll spin it as rigorous and so on.)

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Cherry picking easy classes; HYS

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:59 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:To be fair to Dre (in this one case only...), it's not like law schools get copies of the syllabi of your classes, nor are the course requirements listed on your transcript. No one will know whether that "History of the French Revolution" course has 2 multiple-choice finals or a 50-pp research paper, or whether the exams were open or closed book. (Only exception: if the prof who writes your LOR goes into the requirements for their course. And even then, no prof likes to think their own classes are cakewalks, so they'll spin it as rigorous and so on.)


Right -- I was only responding to the idea that classes could not vary in difficulty.

More to the point, the above would be true if we made the assumption that admissions personnel at top law schools know nothing about undergraduate institutions and their curriculum. I'm willing to bet that Asha & Co have done their homework and know quite a bit about the relative rigor of various majors, institutions, concentrations, and even select professors and courses from colleges they routinely see. I bet faye and asha get a lot of law apps each year from kids who have taken prof X's linear algebra class or prof Y's microeconomic theory class at whichever HYPSC ect./liberal arts colleges. This also in part accounts for why a particular school might draw a little deeper from its own class (or be able to pinpoint when a student from their school took more or less difficult coursework). A known quantity is preferable to an unknown quantity in most cases.

Anyway, the degree to which this matters is so minimal compared to the overall LSAC GPA that it hardly bears going into any further

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Cherry picking easy classes; HYS

Postby sublime » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:03 pm

..

User avatar
TheBiggerMediocre
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Re: Cherry picking easy classes; HYS

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:54 pm

just made a thread similar to this one continue the headbanging and picture throwing there.

User avatar
nyjets2090
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Cherry picking easy classes; HYS

Postby nyjets2090 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:59 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:
nyjets2090 wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:
nyjets2090 wrote:H no.

Y makes it a point on their website to say they evaluate majors and courses, which I believe. Mainly because they have the ability to turn down people with a 3.9+/174+. YS is never a guarantee on numbers alone.


So basically you need a 3.9+ with all 300+ lvl courses your junior and senior year? NO BS classes like music or Drama?


Unconscionable, disgusting, anti-Music major trolling.


Oh I'm sorry - what kind of music do you listen to?


No worries, my fault for picking a major where you needed...you know...a talent :D.

I'll listen to almost anything classical, there's a classical music thread in the off-topic.

User avatar
TheBiggerMediocre
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Re: Cherry picking easy classes; HYS

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:09 pm

nyjets2090 wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:
nyjets2090 wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:
So basically you need a 3.9+ with all 300+ lvl courses your junior and senior year? NO BS classes like music or Drama?


Unconscionable, disgusting, anti-Music major trolling.


Oh I'm sorry - what kind of music do you listen to?


No worries, my fault for picking a major where you needed...you know...a talent :D.

I'll listen to almost anything classical, there's a classical music thread in the off-topic.


I love classical music , I fell into it cock first after I quit rap and hip hop.

User avatar
guillaume_aus
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Re: Cherry picking easy classes; HYS

Postby guillaume_aus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:UG classes objectively more than 5 times harder than any law course:

Differential equations
Solid state electronics

I don't care if you are taking them at University of Retards South Arkansas, they are tougher than anything Harvard Law has.


I'm not sure about that. I found DiffEq pretty easy, but that's probably because I'm very much a math/science person. I imagine that law school classes would probably be harder for me. That's probably true for many people.

Stinson
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:01 am

Re: Cherry picking easy classes; HYS

Postby Stinson » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:UG classes objectively more than 5 times harder than any law course:

Differential equations
Solid state electronics

I don't care if you are taking them at University of Retards South Arkansas, they are tougher than anything Harvard Law has.


Harder than my Topics in Ancient Law class at HLS, bro? I think not. I had to write FIVE reaction papers (four if you participated in the mock trial of Socrates, but it was full). And I'm not talking easy mode here; we covered Athenian AND Roman law.

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Cherry picking easy classes; HYS

Postby BerkeleyBear » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:54 am

ITT: STEM majors? Why the fuck are you guys in a "cherry picking easy classes" thread?

hiltopp01
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:25 am

Re: Cherry picking easy classes; HYS

Postby hiltopp01 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:01 am

BerkeleyBear wrote:ITT: STEM majors? Why the fuck are you guys in a "cherry picking easy classes" thread?


LOL




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: notnecessarilyproper and 1 guest