LOR Advice needed. Detailed scenarios.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which professor for my LOR?

17%
17%
33%
33%
work LOR
No votes

Total votes: 6

Wackydog

LOR Advice needed. Detailed scenarios.

Postby Wackydog » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:08 pm

Hey guys, so I am sorry for the incoming long post, I just felt like in order to receive the best advice I lay everything out on the table.

so I am stuck between a few different scenarios for my best LOR options, obviously I am trying to maximize my t14 chances. I am a senior at a large university (95% of the time, 300 people in a class) and I transferred from a smaller private school. So it will be 2 years in the smaller school until I transferred and I will graduate after 3 years in the larger school with a 3.55 cumulative between both institutions as a philosophy major. Aside from academics, I held one job in my life which was totally unrelated to academics, it was just physical labor, but the owner is a family friend and I did a lot of work.

I can include this work recommendation, but I know its probably worth 0. Please feel free to disagree or call me out in this thinking process: I think I should get two academic LORs. One from each University. But maybe is it best to get three? Or not even one from my old university?

Here are the candidates:

Smaller private school
1. One professor who is a higher up in the philosophy department. He was also my major advisor and I was in two upper level honors philosophy classes with him. I received an A in one course, and a B- in another. The course I earned an A was ethics. This course had debates as its final, opponents were chosen out of a hat and I got the professor because of an uneven amount of students. I did pretty well and might be able to locate my notes to remind him. Both courses taken during the same semester. The bad: This was sort of a while ago in the spring of 2011 and the final semester I spent at this school. He was not aware I was leaving and I have not spoken with him since he advised me for what we thought was my next semester there, so its been over two years. (transferred out due to financial worries.)

Large public university
2.A professor I took two upper level english courses with, receiving an A and an A-. He is known to be highly rare to find on campus and there is no known case of him responding to an email. If need be though, I can find him. I also have my exams saved. The thing is though, hes sort of wacky. He is a really smart older man, who I believed attended a few ivys for his phd. But we spent many classes just bullshitting and he would tell us a bunch of his life stories, we spent other classes let out early after doing actual work for 10 minutes. He doesn't know me personally. 300 person course.

3.I took this professor for the highest level philosophy I had ever taken. The non masters highest. She is a retired attorney. Mid semester she offered to write a letter of recommendation for each student in the 300 person course who submitted an optional assignment related to the coursework, it was a relatively long but easy assignment so that she could get to know you. I chose not to submit because I thought the concept was weird and it would be a cookie-cutter LOR and many would have the same. I think only a handful of kids submitted the assignment, not sure though. I only got a B in this course, but it was difficult and upper level. I will not take a more difficult course. She doesn't know me personally although we have exchanged emails a few times. I may have my study sheets still. She is very very nice and down to earth and I am willing to bet if I email her she will give me a chance to submit the optional assignment for a LOR.

4. This professor was a cool guy. It was only his second semester teaching, and it was an upper level english course. I did a lot of work in this course, often consulting with the professor via email along the way. 150 person course. I think over the semester we exchanged over a dozen emails, sometimes talking about the current novel that the class was working on. I don't have any materials from the class, but I know he has my exams. I ended up with an A- in the course and even emailed him requesting that he look over my final exam again, he did, and he raised my grade but it was not enough to push me to an A in the course.

These are my only viable options for different reasons. I didn't include my low level phil class I got an A in and other intro courses or major courses I didn't earn above a B in and had no connection with any of those professors. So, thanks again for even reading this TL;DR essay. I added a poll but I would really welcome criticism and reasoning.

Wackydog

Re: LOR Advice needed. Detailed scenarios.

Postby Wackydog » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:59 pm

bump

Wackydog

Postby Wackydog » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:55 pm

bump

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:59 pm

tl;dr

brevity is important in the legal profession. ain't nobody got time for (reading) that

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:20 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:tl;dr

brevity is important in the legal profession. ain't nobody got time for (reading) that

I read the OP solely because of this post. :P

I would go with #3 and #4. They sound decent enough.

#1 sounds good but I think it would be too awkward showing up, apologizing for disappearing two years ago, and asking for an LoR. If you want, you can approach him and see if he's receptive but I don't think the letter would be so much better than #3 or #4 that it would make a difference.

#2 just sounds too unpredictable.

And the work reference from a family friend doesn't seem like it would add much of value.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”