GPA Curve/Transfer Student Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Suits99

New

GPA Curve/Transfer Student

Post by Suits99 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Sorry for the long post, this is my first time posting in a TLS forum.

First off, do Law Schools consider your grade curve, and if so how much? Currently I have a 3.2 entering my senior year, however my junior year I got a 3.6 and a 3.7. My GPA has always been between a 2.8 and a 3.2 (I know this is bad) however once I realized that I wanted to attend Law School this past year I got my GPA up (3.65 overall junior year). It is also worth noting that the classes that I have done bad in have not been related to my major such as religion and italian. The GPA for my major (political science and international studies) is a 3.5, and just to throw it out there I got an A- in Environmental Law and Civil Law this past year at my school. Also, I transferred schools and changed my major so I have to do an extra year of college (5 total years). Basically, I am wondering if my positive grade curve will be considered and also if doing 5 years of undergrad will hurt me.

Thanks!

sinfiery

Gold

Re: GPA Curve/Transfer Student

Post by sinfiery » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Not really and not really. Get to studying for them LSATs.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 pm

no

mx23250

Silver

Post by mx23250 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:53 pm

sinfiery wrote:Not really and not really. Get to studying for them LSATs.
I agree. Neither will really help or hurt you either way. A general upgrade trend in your GPA is certainly better than a declining or steady trend, but it will make very little impact. I would think that a 1pt improvement on your LSAT (e.g., 169 to 170) would help your application a lot more than demonstrating an upward grade trend. So I second the suggestion to study hard for your LSAT. My UGPA isn't real impressive either and I'm expecting/planning on my upward UGPA trend and 4.0 grad school GPA to contribute absolutely nothing. If they help a little, then it's great, but shoot for getting a strong enough LSAT that they'll accept you based on that alone.

Suits99

New

Post by Suits99 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:13 am

So if an upward trend isn't considered, is it safe to say that law schools just care about your GPA as is? Do law schools actually go through and look at every class that you have taken on your transcript, or do they basically just see your GPA, see your LSAT, then make a decision?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”