Duke vs Georgetown vs Fordham ($$) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Duke vs Georgetown vs Fordham ($$)

Duke (small possibility of money)
82%
Georgetown (possibility of money)
13%
Fordham ($25K/yr)
5%

Total votes: 38

moshei24

Bronze

Duke vs Georgetown vs Fordham ($$)

Post by moshei24 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:36 am

Hi, guys!

I currently have three schools that I'm considering: Duke, Georgetown, and Fordham. As of now, only Fordham is offering me some money ($25K/yr). Georgetown may offer me $10-15K if money frees up there (I got accepted there on Monday), and I haven't spoken to Duke yet about money, as I only got accepted there on Friday. (I will update the money situation when I find out more.)

My life is in NYC, and as an Orthodox Jew going to a place like Durham, NC will make my religious life very difficult. DC has solid Jewish life, as does NYC. I know that Duke is the best school on that list by far, but is it worth sticker over my other two options? If they give me any scholarship money, they're an easy pick, but without scholarship money?

My parents would most likely cover my COL in NYC, as there are areas here where it is not as expensive as one might think. I'm guessing I could convince them to pay COL in Durham, NC, and part of COL in DC. My girlfriend says I should go to Duke, even though she won't see me as often.

What's all your takes on my situation? I'm still hoping to get off NYU's, Columbia's, or Penn's waitlist, but none of those are anywhere near guaranteed.

I'm looking forward to hearing all your insightful advices on the matter. Thanks in advance!!

sinfiery

Gold

Re: Duke vs Georgetown vs Fordham ($$)

Post by sinfiery » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:38 am

What do you want to do with your JD? Where do you want to do this?

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:44 am

sinfiery wrote:What do you want to do with your JD? Where do you want to do this?
Where?: I'm not actually sure. I've always wanted to work in NYC, but now I don't know if I still want to for sure do that. I would like the possibility of being able to work in other places besides NYC.

What?: I've always wanted to do ADA work for 3-5 years and then switch over to criminal defense, but I wouldn't mind doing BigLaw work or even litigation type work. I guess this is a question I'd be able to answer better once I'm in law school for a year. I get more and more unsure about these things with each passing week. It's rather annoying, but I'm guessing kinda normal. Eh?

Do those answers help at all?

I also figure that if I go to any school at sticker, I'd have to start off in BigLaw for 2-4 years to pay off my loans.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:56 am

Not sure where you want to work but leaning toward NYC and not sure what path you want to take?
Duke is easily the correct choice here. Duke at sticker is a scary proposition but with your parents helping out on COL, it should be a tad more manageable.

As for your personal reasons preferring NYC/DC, I can't comment on what that's worth to you. Financially speaking, for your career, Duke is the correct choice.

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:00 am

sinfiery wrote:Not sure where you want to work but leaning toward NYC and not sure what path you want to take?
Duke is easily the correct choice here. Duke at sticker is a scary proposition but with your parents helping out on COL, it should be a tad more manageable.

As for your personal reasons preferring NYC/DC, I can't comment on what that's worth to you. Financially speaking, for your career, Duke is the correct choice.

I hear what you're saying. And to think that about a week ago, I was planning on paying Fordham their second deposit with the intent of going there...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:01 am

You should come back once you have offers. GULC in particular is notorious for hinting that you'll get money and then stiffing you.

In any case, I would take take Duke at sticker over at Fordham 25/yr and GULC at 15k/yr just for Duke's better employment stats (and it also places really well in NYC). The lower COL in Durham saves your family 5k right off the bat over GULC.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:03 am

Moving on up, be happy. NYC is Dukes main placement market and you will likely be back if you want to be back. Time to see what Durham is all about :)

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:09 am

I will definitely update when I have my offers.

Also, does anyone know what this means? Can I assume that it doesn't mean that I have to withdraw from schools I was waitlisted at?

"I certify that I have withdrawn from all other law schools to which I have been admitted."

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:12 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:You should come back once you have offers. GULC in particular is notorious for hinting that you'll get money and then stiffing you.

In any case, I would take take Duke at sticker over at Fordham 25/yr and GULC at 15k/yr just for Duke's better employment stats (and it also places really well in NYC). The lower COL in Durham saves your family 5k right off the bat over GULC.
When does Breaking Bad resume?

I'm really starting to lean toward Duke.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:14 am

sinfiery wrote:Moving on up, be happy. NYC is Dukes main placement market and you will likely be back if you want to be back. Time to see what Durham is all about :)
One giant positive of Durham is living on my own in an apartment or house for really cheap without having to worry about roommates. But then again, the negative is the lack of Orthodox Jewish life there that I'd struggle to find for the major holidays while there. Hmmmm...

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:41 am

You don't have to withdraw from schools you were WL at.

Low COL is nice...I'm headed.from.that situation to NYC, not as awesome lol.

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:34 am

sinfiery wrote:You don't have to withdraw from schools you were WL at.

What about Michigan? If I could get in there, where would that fall on the totem pole?

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:43 am

moshei24 wrote:

What about Michigan? If I could get in there, where would that fall on the totem pole?
Lower than duke, higher than GULC

Go to Duke
Last edited by mr.hands on Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:56 am

moshei24 wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Not sure where you want to work but leaning toward NYC and not sure what path you want to take?

I hear what you're saying. And to think that about a week ago, I was planning on paying Fordham their second deposit with the intent of going there...
Duke is good for NY for sure, and I can imagine that it's good for D.C.. The D.C. market is penetrable for top-10 schools. It just depends on how many jobs are available. Go to Duke.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:02 am

moshei24 wrote:

For your goals + assuming near sticker...

D > M

Proximity ftw

Huluba

New

Post by Huluba » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:20 am

What will you do for food at Duke? Any Kosher options? Fordham or Georgetown is tcr here. Pray for Columbia/NYU.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:37 am

No, there are no Kosher options at Duke, jesus christ. And the grocery stores there absolutely do not sell kosher products. And if you go to Miami, you *must* speak spanish, or nothing works. Can't check out, not sure if turn right on red, etc

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Huluba

New

Post by Huluba » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:58 am

Point taken. Maybe I worded my post wrongly. Obviously there will be some Kosher options at Duke. However, depending on OP's level of orthodoxy, the wealth of Kosher food options in NYC should be a big factor in choosing a school.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:44 am

Huluba wrote:Point taken. Maybe I worded my post wrongly. Obviously there will be some Kosher options at Duke. However, depending on OP's level of orthodoxy, the wealth of Kosher food options in NYC should be a big factor in choosing a school.
I kind of assumed OP was capable of keeping kashrut and cooking for himself? NYC is obviously going to have better QoL for an orthodox student, but I don't think QoL makes up for the big gap in outcomes between Fordham/GULC and Duke.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:58 am

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:06 am

So to get things summed up:

-QoL shouldn't be taken into account because Duke is WAY better than GULC and Fordham.
-Duke is better than Michigan in terms of getting the kind of jobs it seems I want.

But question, Michigan is ranked higher than Duke, but Duke has better federal clerkships and biglaw, but would the QoL in Michigan for an Orthodox Jew tip it over Duke? I think there's a solid chance I could get off their waitlist. Is there a point of me trying to do so? CoL is much higher there, but why are they ranked higher if Michigan gives better job prospects? On ALT, Duke is ranked 6th, which is higher than even CLS and NYU...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:10 am

Michigan is ranked higher than Duke
USNWR is a joke

Ignore them

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:12 am

Nova wrote:
Michigan is ranked higher than Duke
USNWR is a joke

Ignore them

So you're a fan of ALT and would choose Duke over CLS and NYU? Serious question, not sarcasm. Duke is ranked higher on ATL.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:16 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:19 am

Regulus wrote:Forget about rankings and start using Law School Transparency instead. The only things you should be considering when choosing a law school are 1) cost and 2) outcomes in relation to 3) your goals.
Yup yup

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”