The "in review" process

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mr.Throwback

The "in review" process

Postby Mr.Throwback » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:31 pm

I;m wondering what this process actually entails. I've been in review at a school since 3/7, and others with similar numbers have applied later and heard back already (WL). Could this be to my advantage that they're taking this long? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ti Malice

Re: The "in review" process

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:34 pm

Who knows? Every school is different. Maybe this school sends out their rejections last. Without knowing which school this is, no one will be able to help you.

Also, it's a little odd to be under review in June. That almost certainly means you're waiting to hear from a school that is not worth what you'll pay for it.

Mr.Throwback

Postby Mr.Throwback » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:55 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Who knows? Every school is different. Maybe this school sends out their rejections last. Without knowing which school this is, no one will be able to help you.

Also, it's a little odd to be under review in June. That almost certainly means you're waiting to hear from a school that is not worth what you'll pay for it.

CUNY law.

Numbers not the greatest (highish gpa and lowish lsat). I think they might be giving me a closer look because my application is public service oriented. (including my LORs...i think).

And CUNY is very reasonably priced.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:28 pm

CUNY tuition is reasonable, but only 44% of the last two classes found jobs as lawyers within nine months of graduation. That's not good. If you're debt-financing cost of living, then CUNY is a pretty terrible idea. If you take out loans for the full cost of attendance, you will owe right around $125K at repayment.

Mr.Throwback

Postby Mr.Throwback » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Ti Malice wrote:CUNY tuition is reasonable, but only 44% of the last two classes found jobs as lawyers within nine months of graduation. That's not good. If you're debt-financing cost of living, then CUNY is a pretty terrible idea. If you take out loans for the full cost of attendance, you will owe right around $125K at repayment.

You're 0-2 so far. Please stop assuming things. I've lived in Queens my entire life. If you never lived in NYC you have no idea about CUNY aside from its rankings.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Mr.Throwback wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:CUNY tuition is reasonable, but only 44% of the last two classes found jobs as lawyers within nine months of graduation. That's not good. If you're debt-financing cost of living, then CUNY is a pretty terrible idea. If you take out loans for the full cost of attendance, you will owe right around $125K at repayment.

You're 0-2 so far. Please stop assuming things. I've lived in Queens my entire life. If you never lived in NYC you have no idea about CUNY aside from its rankings.

I haven't been wrong about anything. Notice the word "if" at the beginning of the third and fourth sentences. These are conditional statements. The entire discussion about debt-financing is hypothetical. I made no assumptions.

And I know plenty about CUNY. I know people who went there before the economy cratered, and I myself am on the public interest law track. I don't pay attention to rankings. I pay attention to school-generated and ABA-verified employment data above all, and CUNY does a poor job of placing people into full-time, long-term, JD-required employment.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:08 am

Mr.Throwback wrote: If you never lived in NYC you have no idea about CUNY aside from its rankings.

umm, no

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... class=2011
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cuny-queens

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:06 am

OP, are you a flame?

Take your own advice

Mr.Throwback wrote:
PRfuturelaw wrote:Anyone know which law schools, an underrepresented minority would have the best chance for acceptance.

My GPA is 3.0 (yes its low, i was a science mayor, didn't really plan on getting into law until after) and I'm taking the LSAT soon.
my practice scores have been around 150

Score at least 170 on your lsat.

in the meantime you can mess around on lawschoolnumbers.com

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”