Is affirmative action fair? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lasers

Gold

Re: Is affirmative action fair?

Post by Lasers » Fri May 31, 2013 10:10 pm

i actually remember watching an entire debate between frank wu and dinesh desouza on this topic. was quite interesting.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Fri May 31, 2013 10:33 pm

Who cares if it is fair. Nothing in life is fair. Take every legal advantage that comes your way. Is it fair that I have to pay a high interest rate for a law school loan going to a top school in order to subsidize failures at TJ or JMLS or Cooley? More than likely, it is helping you to get 10% of your class well below the LSAT curve in there to compete against you. Although, I think most URMs (when I say "URM" I mean AA because it is impossible to tell who is Hispanic) were at median at my school, a couple were clearly less intelligent, most were fun to be around and sociable, and none made law review the past 2 or 3 years (at my school they don't have affirmative action on law review). I don't anyone can claim they've benefited from "diversity," but I have definitely liked my URM classmates more than most.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri May 31, 2013 10:38 pm

sublime wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:OP, I highly doubt you were joking. Do not even think about doing something this stupid and dishonest. Especially if you have plans of being a lawyer and passing a bar at any point during your lifetime.
I don't plan on doing this, but because I am curious, how do they handle the native american thing? Do you have to be a certain percentage. Most white people, whether true or not, seem to be convinced that they are 1/16 or 1/32 native american. Does anybody vet this stuff?
...and their DOCUMENTED TRIBE MEMBERSHIP as noted by the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA)? Can "'most' white people" present that?

Without tribe membership, the claims come up as empty trivia at best...outright lies at worst.

Btw, a very high percentage of both Hispanic and non-Hispanic American-born Blacks - NOT second or third generation Africans, Black British or Caribbean Blacks, mind you, but descendants of African-American slaves - have American Indian bloodlines. Hence, they would be at the front of that line as well.

Also, the preferred term is "American-Indian". The term "Native-American" is too vague.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri May 31, 2013 10:44 pm

I think a weird thing about AA is that URMs don't get points added to their GPAs.

Get a boost in undergrad admissions, but then no boost in undergrad grade, then a boost in grad school admissions, but then no boost in grad school grades, then get a boost in hiring. It definitely seems inconsistent.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri May 31, 2013 10:49 pm

Just remember that only the people who need the boosts get them, but not all URM's need boost. Some URM's (more than most people might assume without looking at data) qualify on numbers as well as soft factors. Other URM's qualify on soft factors but have weak numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rmorris87

New

Post by rmorris87 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:21 pm

There is a threat already dedicated to this. Move the convo there.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri May 31, 2013 11:27 pm

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:09 am

PDaddy wrote:Just remember that only the people who need the boosts get them, but not all URM's need boost. Some URM's (more than most people might assume without looking at data) qualify on numbers as well as soft factors. Other URM's qualify on soft factors but have weak numbers.
You're on crack

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:11 am

Regulus wrote:
meowlaw wrote:Wow I didn't mean to offend anyone. It was a joke and I was just trying to be funny.
Racist jokes are hilarious. You should try putting some in your personal statements to HYS, for all of these schools prefer candidates with a good sense of humor.
I found this post to be the most offensive in this thread. Racist jokes ARE funny, despite the fact that including them in an application is obviously stupid.

And everyone's confused in this thread. The fact that AA discussions are taboo does not make AA a good thing...you shouldn't be allowed to tag-along in here with your liberal bullshit.

(not even trolling --it's horseshit that people get to call him a racist and yet all AA convos are supposed to be proscribed. i find it way more insulting to intelligent discourse if affirmative action gets a free, can't criticize pass. my understanding was that it's taboo because the convos inevitably become retarded. please lock this thread. )

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Huey Freeman

Bronze

Post by Huey Freeman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:21 am

Tom Joad wrote:I think a weird thing about AA is that URMs don't get points added to their GPAs.

Get a boost in undergrad admissions, but then no boost in undergrad grade, then a boost in grad school admissions, but then no boost in grad school grades, then get a boost in hiring. It definitely seems inconsistent.
Well, from undergrad, you either go to grad school or go work (get hired). Similarly, from grad school, you either go to more school, or go work somewhere.

If there is a boost at both outcomes, then effectively, URM undergraduate/graduate grades *are* boosted. I mean, grades only exist to serve those purposes anyway, so why give a quantified boost (which people get upset about) when you can use admissions/hiring instead? I guess a grade boost in undergraduate grades would serve the purpose of preventing URMs from failing though (since that's the only other thing grades really do).

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:23 am

North wrote:
Nova wrote:Image
:lol:

My first thought too.
Maggie Gyllenhall is "whupped"! Not aging well...

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:26 am

guano wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Just remember that only the people who need the boosts get them, but not all URM's need boost. Some URM's (more than most people might assume without looking at data) qualify on numbers as well as soft factors. Other URM's qualify on soft factors but have weak numbers.
You're on crack
Brilliant...just brilliant! How did you ever come up with that one? You must have an IQ of 200!

I am "on crack" [sic] only to people who believe that numbers are and should be the only determinant(s) of admissions decisions...that higher grades and scores necessarily make one candidate more qualified than another candidate...and that adcoms, despite a similar belief, continue to give boosts to and admit students they don't truly believe can cut the mustard.

FOLLY!
Last edited by PDaddy on Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darmody

Bronze

Post by Darmody » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:32 am

Shouldn't affirmative action be solely based on the financial situation of the student and not race? If he/she comes from a lower income family, then he/she did not have the resources, regardless of race, to receive the same opportunities. But, an URM (black/hispanic) that comes from a higher income family had the same resources and opportunities as a non URM, so they shouldn't benefit from AA. If an Asian student came from a lower income family, he/she did not have the same opportunities, but then will be looked unfavorably even more during admissions due to their race. Not fair? Life isn't fair? Then maybe we should try to fix the issue. Just my perspective.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:36 am

There are hundreds of old threads on this topic and nothing new or revolutionary will be posted here. LOCK IT DOWN I SAY!

Lets talk about something else, like the season-2 finale of "Suits". Meghan Markle is hotter than fish grease!
Last edited by PDaddy on Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:37 am

PDaddy wrote:
guano wrote:
You're on crack
Brilliant...just brilliant! How did you ever come up with that one? You must have an IQ of 200!

I am "on crack" [sic] only to people who believe that numbers are and should be the only determinant(s) of admissions decisions...that higher grades and scores necessarily make one candidate more qualified than another candidate...and that adcoms, despite a similar belief, continue to give boosts to and admit students they don't truly believe can cut the mustard.

FOLLY!
If explain the fallacy in your logic/reasoning, but, if it isn't patently obvious, your brain is too minuscule to comprehend, or, more likely, you don't want the truth because it doesn't confirm to your comprehension of how the world works.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:39 am

Just to be the responsible member that I am, I'd like to inform any future posters in this thread that affirmative action discussions are not allowed on this website, with the exception of the mega affirmative action thread (seems dumb, but, whatever, that's the rule! I don't make them). I can't block threads as a backseat moderator, but in an act of solidarity with indigo-mods, I'd like to state that anybody who says anything as derpy as Darmody just did will be backseat banned for 2 weeks, no exceptions. Anybody who proceeds to interact to a backseat banned member is also banned (length at discretion of Birdnals). So this is a serious warning. Stop derping. SCOTUS will teach us about AA in a few days, then we can derp in a different thread.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:41 am

Darmody wrote:Shouldn't affirmative action be solely based on the financial situation of the student and not race? If he/she comes from a lower income family, then he/she did not have the resources, regardless of race, to receive the same opportunities. But, an URM (black/hispanic) that comes from a higher income family had the same resources and opportunities as a non URM, so they shouldn't benefit from AA. If an Asian student came from a lower income family, he/she did not have the same opportunities, but then will be looked unfavorably even more during admissions due to their race. Not fair? Life isn't fair? Then maybe we should try to fix the issue. Just my perspective.
Thing is, it's not about background, but about proportionality. Quite simply, the proportion of URMs in law school is significantly lower than their proportion in the population

To answe the actual question, no, it's not fair, but it is neccesary (to achieve certain goals, the merits of which are an entirely different debate)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:42 am

guano wrote:
Darmody wrote:Shouldn't affirmative action be solely based on the financial situation of the student and not race? If he/she comes from a lower income family, then he/she did not have the resources, regardless of race, to receive the same opportunities. But, an URM (black/hispanic) that comes from a higher income family had the same resources and opportunities as a non URM, so they shouldn't benefit from AA. If an Asian student came from a lower income family, he/she did not have the same opportunities, but then will be looked unfavorably even more during admissions due to their race. Not fair? Life isn't fair? Then maybe we should try to fix the issue. Just my perspective.
Thing is, it's not about background, but about proportionality. Quite simply, the proportion of URMs in law school is significantly lower than their proportion in the population

To answe the actual question, no, it's not fair, but it is neccesary (to achieve certain goals, the merits of which are an entirely different debate)
banned.
You can appeal to the backseat mods under "I was already typing" estoppel bullshit, but you should have gotten an update about my post.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:46 am

laxbrah420 wrote:
guano wrote:

banned.
You can appeal to the backseat mods under "I was already typing" estoppel bullshit, but you should have gotten an update about my post.
I'll take my punishment like a man-dingo

Throttle

New

Post by Throttle » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:48 am

How the hell hasn't this been locked?

Throttle

New

Post by Throttle » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:50 am

Welp.....I'm a -8L and was wondering what classes to take in high school to be competitive for law school. So far I'm looking at Golden gate.....I have a hs gpa of 2.6. What are my chances?!?!?!?!?!?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:51 am

Because the back seat mods haven't given one of the lower mods the go ahead to lock yet.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:58 am

That is legitimately the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”