best gap year options (beyond TFA, PC etc) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thelawdoctor

Bronze

Re: best gap year options (beyond TFA, PC etc)

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Momentum once lost, is rarely regained.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:33 pm

heywatchitbuddy wrote:So people have recommended I take a gap year since I'm a k-jd who will be graduating a year early. What I really want to know is what are some of the lesser known programs that are similar to the more popular ones (like TFA, peace corps, and fulbright). An example of one I've found so far is Princeton in Asia, not a huge program, but still very intersting. I'm also not looking to do this to boost my app, just looking for interesting options.

Basically I'm thinking about taking a year or two off before law school, any suggestions?
If serious, join the Reserves. They will let you train for that year (with pay) and then help pay for the JD to make it debt free.

You could even enlist as a JAG assistant to see if being in law would interest you. If you hate it, you'll know not to waste the rest of your life on it.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:37 pm

jselson wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Make BANK in North Dakota as an oil worker.
I actually did this, but in WY. It paid for a one-month vacation in NYC, followed by a one-month vacation in Europe, not to mention I skied every Sunday.
180 bro. Great job. I should have done this for my bar summer.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jselson wrote:
I actually did this, but in WY. It paid for a one-month vacation in NYC, followed by a one-month vacation in Europe, not to mention I skied every Sunday.
Are you saying that you wish you would have worked during bar prep?

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:11 pm

I was kind of "forced" into an off year by the retake limit, but it's wound up being one of the best of my life, and I'm excited for one more. Like others have said, WE experience and disposable income are two big perks. I'm getting season tickets for my favorite NFL team next year, and my dad and I are planning a road trip to watch them play at Lambeau. Even just going out to the bars every weekend with buddies without having school work to come back to on Sunday is great. I also picked up Arabic and plan on spending a few weeks in Egypt before a Eurotrip by train next summer. It's been interesting picking up a different language, and I figure it could help me out down the line, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:17 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
jselson wrote:
Are you saying that you wish you would have worked during bar prep?
Yea, make some money in the MIDBEST

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:01 pm

Wouldn't it make more sense to (oh I don't know) focus on the prepping for the exam?

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jselson wrote:
It was seriously the best decision I've ever made. Met a ton of interesting people, and it was the focus of my PS. Way better than living broke in Brooklyn doing political fundraising or ticket counter stuff.

heywatchitbuddy

New

Post by heywatchitbuddy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:07 pm

@jselson

what kind of job was it? are you an engineer?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:27 pm

heywatchitbuddy wrote:@jselson

Nope, English/Art History major, but my dad works for Shell, and asked the project manager if there was anything available. I was originally going to be doing office work, but the pm wanted to "shock the city outta me" and put me in materials for awhile (pulling/hauling pipes and valves around). Eventually, I got in with Quality Assurance, mostly because I could type well and do basic database stuff. Like, my first project in QA/QC was making consistent our records for the composition of our steel parts (there's a particular name for this thing, but I can't remember), and making it easier to search for them.

Also, please don't quote this post.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Resisting urge to quote.................yet respecting it anyways.

There wasn't bad in there, why the request?

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:48 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:Resisting urge to quote.................yet respecting it anyways.

There wasn't bad in there, why the request?
Easy identification, I've posted jokey things I'll probably take down at some point.

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:46 am

I'll second the AmeriCorps endorsement because it is something that I love and it has always given me great things to talk about at interviews and people always ask about it when they see my resume. You also get 5,500 as an Ed award for school.

The program I think is even better for a K-Jd is the National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC). This one is residential and team based. They also have this thing called FEMA Corps which is cool but more of an office type work setting. I did NCCC and it changed my life. I was able to do so many cool things all on the governments dime. A great idea if you can't find a job that you would enjoy. It might be too late to apply for a fall start but it's awesome.

One more thing to add is I think it helped me outperform my numbers (full tuition at a t30 where I was median LSAT and below median GPA).
Last edited by JDndMSW on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:45 pm

jselson wrote:

Nope, English/Art History major, but my dad works for Shell, and asked the project manager if there was anything available. I was originally going to be doing office work, but the pm wanted to "shock the city outta me" and put me in materials for awhile (pulling/hauling pipes and valves around). Eventually, I got in with Quality Assurance, mostly because I could type well and do basic database stuff. Like, my first project in QA/QC was making consistent our records for the composition of our steel parts (there's a particular name for this thing, but I can't remember), and making it easier to search for them.

oh, I see.................... :twisted:

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:49 pm

I managed an Abercrombie for my gap year

Would not recommend

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:50 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
jselson wrote:

oh, I see.................... :twisted:

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:50 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:oh, I see.................... :twisted:
:roll: :roll:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Are people that go backpacking in Europe for any extended period of time all independently wealthy? It's a compelling suggestion. I just don't get how it's feasible for most people. I also don't think it's very advisable, even if you have sufficient money for it. Save that shit for expensive COL, right?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Otunga wrote:Are people that go backpacking in Europe for any extended period of time all independently wealthy? It's a compelling suggestion. I just don't get how it's feasible for most people. I also don't think it's very advisable, even if you have sufficient money for it. Save that shit for expensive COL, right?
When I was looking at it, you could go for 3 months on 6k...ofc, it could last you 2 weeks too. Depends on how you live.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:11 pm

Otunga wrote:Are people that go backpacking in Europe for any extended period of time all independently wealthy? It's a compelling suggestion. I just don't get how it's feasible for most people. I also don't think it's very advisable, even if you have sufficient money for it. Save that shit for expensive COL, right?
I've known plenty of middle class prior who've done it.
I never understood how some people could afford it, but que sera

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:06 am

Lol spot on, at least for western europe. Its the modern hipster aristocratic Great Tour. The bohemian thing was viable back in the 70s with a strong dollar; now its ludicrously expensive to travel anywhere west of the danube. This is coming from someone who's lived in europe extensively. Even respectable "backpacking" is prohibitive when you include the lost work hours, to the point where its effectively a bourgeois domain. Thank god daddy called american express bfore you left so his credit card (or the biggest bs, the "graduation money") will get you out of trouble should you ever actually face discomfort. This doesnt stop lots of sappy pseudo-leftist students from elite universities and upper middle class families from pretending its their own progressive existential experience.

If you really want a cheap and fascinating backpacking experiece, do south america

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:16 am

jbagelboy wrote:If you really want a cheap and fascinating backpacking experiece, do south america

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:21 am

jselson wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:If you really want a cheap and fascinating backpacking experiece, do south america
True. Very true. There are parts of this country with such low CoL. I have a close friend who lived in the back of his truck for 8 months after graduation. He drove across the country staying in walmart parking lots and out in the desert. Sharp guy, great experience at surprisingly low cost

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:30 am

a
Last edited by sinfiery on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”