Georgetown vs. Fordham Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
moshei24

Bronze

Georgetown vs. Fordham

Post by moshei24 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:32 am

Hi!

I had been leaning toward going to Fordham with the $25K/yr scholarship they offered me until Georgetown gave me a call today. We discussed the odds of me going there and possible scholarships. I'm going to hear back from them tomorrow. Odds are I will be practicing law in NYC, but other places aren't ruled out. I also don't want to be forced to go into BigLaw, as my dream plan would be to work as an ADA for a few years and then switch over to criminal defense. MidLaw with better hours than BigLaw wouldn't be too bad either. ;)

How much of scholarship, if any, would Georgetown need to give me to make it worth going there? (Please do not take COL into account, as I will probably have a lot of help with that from my family.)

Thanks in advance for your insights!

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Re: Georgetown vs. Fordham

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Fri May 31, 2013 1:52 am

You might find this thread useful.

Fordham (90K) V GULC (sticker)

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:10 am

RetakeFrenzy wrote:You might find this thread useful.

I saw it, but people got off topic way too much and there didn't seem to be too much concrete info. =/

Thanks, though.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri May 31, 2013 8:57 am

moshei24 wrote:

I saw it, but people got off topic way too much and there didn't seem to be too much concrete info. =/

Thanks, though.
That thread was pretty clear. The most important takeaway was between those two schools at those prices, the correct answer is neither. You would need biglaw and your chances of that are too slim to take that gamble. I guess of you can cop an LRAP job from GULC that might be ok (assuming their LRAP is good- I have no idea) but that's too much of a gamble for my taste.

Also, midlaw pretty much doesn't exist for people straight out of school.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri May 31, 2013 9:45 am

Fordham at $75-90 vs GULC sticker comes down to personal preference, leaning toward GULC.
If you're more debt averse, Fordham. If you're gunning for biglaw, GULC. If you only want NY, slight edge to Fordham, if you want anywhere else, edge to GULC.

It's all about what you want

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:55 am

I'm loving how no one is actually answering the question I asked, so I'll ask it again.

How much of a scholarship do I need from Gtown to make it worth my whole in this situation?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri May 31, 2013 9:58 am

moshei24 wrote:I'm loving how no one is actually answering the question I asked, so I'll ask it again.

How much of a scholarship do I need from Gtown to make it worth my whole in this situation?
Whatever amount brings your total debt at repayment to about 130ishK or so

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri May 31, 2013 10:07 am

moshei24 wrote:I'm loving how no one is actually answering the question I asked, so I'll ask it again.

I did answer - at sticker it's more or less on par with your Fordham offer. If they give any real money, go to GULC

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:11 am

guano wrote:

I did answer - at sticker it's more or less on par with your Fordham offer. If they give any real money, go to GULC

For a 10-15K scholly go to GULC?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri May 31, 2013 10:14 am

moshei24 wrote:
guano wrote:

Yeah, GULC is easily worth $30-$50k more

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri May 31, 2013 10:32 am

guano wrote:
moshei24 wrote:
guano wrote:

Yeah, GULC is easily worth $30-$50k more
Of course it is. But at these prices both schools are, for a lack of a better word, guano.

The correct answer is neither unless you get a SIGNIFICANT scholarship.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Fri May 31, 2013 2:17 pm

Go crush 'Dozo Moshei - fire off another letter and have them just up your aid. Besides, with your LSAT, you know you're gonna leave the cardodos in the dust, and transfer to CN, take your pick.

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:26 pm

I'm surprised they let the trolls out from under the bridge...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri May 31, 2013 2:32 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Go crush 'Dozo Moshei - fire off another letter and have them just up your aid. Besides, with your LSAT, you know you're gonna leave the cardodos in the dust, and transfer to CN, take your pick.
:lol:

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 31, 2013 2:53 pm

BigZuck wrote:
moshei24 wrote:

Thanks, though.
That thread was pretty clear. The most important takeaway was between those two schools at those prices, the correct answer is neither. You would need biglaw and your chances of that are too slim to take that gamble. I guess of you can cop an LRAP job from GULC that might be ok (assuming their LRAP is good- I have no idea) but that's too much of a gamble for my taste.

Also, midlaw pretty much doesn't exist for people straight out of school.
Gtown has a surprisingly good LRAP: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... AP-III.cfm

It's almost up there with Mich and NYU. The trick is to get (and keep) and LRAP approved job for 10 years.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 31, 2013 2:55 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Go crush 'Dozo Moshei - fire off another letter and have them just up your aid. Besides, with your LSAT, you know you're gonna leave the cardodos in the dust, and transfer to CN, take your pick.
(Was this sarcasm that I missed?) I hate to say it but this is bad advice. Never, never attend a law school on the assumption you will be able to transfer to a significantly better one, no matter how much higher your LSAT is from the median and how you perceive the correlation b/t LSAT and LSGPA.

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri May 31, 2013 3:17 pm

jbagelboy wrote:(Was this sarcasm that I missed?)
Yes. OP outs himself as worthy of mockery ITT and ITT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri May 31, 2013 3:22 pm

moshei24 wrote:I'm surprised they let the trolls out from under the bridge...
Just because someone thinks you're a douche doesn't mean they're a troll

ETA: go to GULC, be a special snowflake, profit. I may or may not be recommending this just so I don't run into you in Washington Heights ever.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri May 31, 2013 3:26 pm

North wrote:
Oh, the OP is that guy? Lulz

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:47 pm

A troll is a troll. Don't make excuses. Just don't clog up the thread with nonsense. Thanks!

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri May 31, 2013 3:54 pm

North wrote:
You forgot this one, where he pretends to be "someone else".
NOTmoshei24 wrote:I am not a past, present or future law student so I was not able to advise the student very well, but I had heard of this forum before

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Fri May 31, 2013 4:22 pm

Cardozo would be my honest advice provided that you are able to keep your postgrad debt at a level serviceable on a salary of 40-50K. Without an interest in Gov work, I think G-Town is out, and Fordham I think leaves you with too much debt vis a vis the risk. If you strike completely out at Cardozo, who cares, get a job and pay your moderate amount of loans back. Also, of these choices, Cardozo is the most likely to have a decrease in enrollment, which might up your employment chances from dismal to meh.

But, to get back to trolling, something tells me that your targeted mass mailing efforts are gonna pay big dividends.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 31, 2013 4:52 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Cardozo would be my honest advice provided that you are able to keep your postgrad debt at a level serviceable on a salary of 40-50K. Without an interest in Gov work, I think G-Town is out, and Fordham I think leaves you with too much debt vis a vis the risk. If you strike completely out at Cardozo, who cares, get a job and pay your moderate amount of loans back. Also, of these choices, Cardozo is the most likely to have a decrease in enrollment, which might up your employment chances from dismal to meh.

But, to get back to trolling, something tells me that your targeted mass mailing efforts are gonna pay big dividends.
congrats on the 1000th post bro

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri May 31, 2013 4:55 pm

moshei24 wrote:A troll is a troll. Don't make excuses. Just don't clog up the thread with nonsense. Thanks!
Re: clogging up the forum with nonsense, see: the thread you double-posted about the obnoxious, entitled email you sent to Cardozo.

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri May 31, 2013 5:00 pm

moshei24 wrote:A troll is a troll. Don't make excuses. Just don't clog up the thread with nonsense. Thanks!
Nobody is trolling you. You are openly being made fun of.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”