GPA addendum, will that make difference?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
0831kf

GPA addendum, will that make difference?

Postby 0831kf » Thu May 30, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi, my brother asked me this question, and I don't know the answer so I'm posting here for help (I got a lot of help from this site, hopefully I can get another one)

My brother went to his first undergrad in 2005~2007, earned associate degree from state community college. He had to work about 30 hrs/week during school because our family had financial issue. His GPA for this time is 3.0/4.0. However, he went to big state school in 2009 and got bachelor's degree in 2011. His GPA in junior-senior is 3.9/4.0. Combined, he has 3.5/4.0. He is currently working as an officer in the army (we're military family). He took LSAT last Feb and got 171. Retaking for higher score in June. He gets out in two years (4yr contract).

Do you guys think an addendum for him will help? Assuming a little bit of higher LSAT score (let's say 173~4ish, he's PTing in 177+s, so hopefully he gets it this time), any chance at HYS, or CCN? I mean he had to work 30hrs/wk to get through freshman and sophomore, couldn't concentrate on his studies that well. And when our financial problem was gone, he managed to get 3.9/4.0. With higher LSAT score, he is wondering if he has any chance at T6. We're not URM.

Anyone with similar experience's idea would be very much appreciated!

Nova

Re: GPA addendum, will that make difference?

Postby Nova » Thu May 30, 2013 10:49 pm

He should certainly write the addendum. If hes below the GPA median where ever (which he probably is), no letter is going to make his cycle be like if he was at or above the median. But it is a factor at the margins, along with LoRs, PS and what not.

3.5 with an above median LSAT has a decent shot at CCN. Try entering some combinations in at http://www.mylsn.info

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu May 30, 2013 10:50 pm

rmorris87

Postby rmorris87 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:12 pm

An addendum will absolutely make zero difference.

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Thu May 30, 2013 11:16 pm

rmorris87 wrote:An addendum will absolutely make zero difference.

Speaking from an experience? I mean, my brother's situation is pretty unique that why he has low grade in freshman-sophomore. If an addendum is useless in his case, I don't know for whom it would make any difference. Plus, if it doesn't make difference at all, why would they recommend writing one anyway?

Darmody

Postby Darmody » Thu May 30, 2013 11:32 pm

I'm a little confused here. If I have a 3.8+ while working 25hrs/wk it doesn't give me a boost. But if I had a lower GPA (3.3-3.5), I can use working as an addendum to compensate for my lower GPA?

Someone clear this up for me

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Fri May 31, 2013 1:22 am

Darmody wrote:I'm a little confused here. If I have a 3.8+ while working 25hrs/wk it doesn't give me a boost. But if I had a lower GPA (3.3-3.5), I can use working as an addendum to compensate for my lower GPA?

An addendum won't give OP a "boost." The goal is just to provide context. Work is a better excuse than partying, and without an addendum adcoms can't be counted on to assume the best. It's not a boost issue- it's about counteracting a potential negative. In this case the addendum isn't compensating for the GPA itself (although it is a negative), but rather showing that OP's brother has a "less bad" reason for having that GPA (compared to an excuse like partying/slacking).

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 am

An addendum will do nothing to help, it will only help mitigate damage, it should give them an idea of the circumstances leading to his shortcoming, but it doesn't undo it. Also, 3.5/4.0 is absurdly vague. What will his final GPA be. If it's 3.5 he wouldn't likely get HYSCC but if its 4.0...

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri May 31, 2013 1:36 am

as an army officer he's still got a good shot at CCN with 3.5/171, if he can get 173+ he is all but guaranteed at at least nyu

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Fri May 31, 2013 2:26 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:An addendum will do nothing to help, it will only help mitigate damage, it should give them an idea of the circumstances leading to his shortcoming, but it doesn't undo it. Also, 3.5/4.0 is absurdly vague. What will his final GPA be. If it's 3.5 he wouldn't likely get HYSCC but if its 4.0...

LOL

Also, this:

Nova wrote:http://myLSN.info/5xsg1q_1-14.jpg

guano

Postby guano » Fri May 31, 2013 10:10 am

The military background will make more of a difference than the GPA addendum

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri May 31, 2013 11:44 am

0831kf wrote:
rmorris87 wrote:An addendum will absolutely make zero difference.

Speaking from an experience? I mean, my brother's situation is pretty unique that why he has low grade in freshman-sophomore. If an addendum is useless in his case, I don't know for whom it would make any difference. Plus, if it doesn't make difference at all, why would they recommend writing one anyway?

Your brother's situation actually isn't that unique. Upward grade trends among law school applicants are ubiquitous. That being said, it certainly won't hurt your brother to write a compelling GPA addendum; just be aware that it isn't going to make his application stand out.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri May 31, 2013 11:51 am

Pneumonia wrote:
Darmody wrote:I'm a little confused here. If I have a 3.8+ while working 25hrs/wk it doesn't give me a boost. But if I had a lower GPA (3.3-3.5), I can use working as an addendum to compensate for my lower GPA?

An addendum won't give OP a "boost." The goal is just to provide context. Work is a better excuse than partying, and without an addendum adcoms can't be counted on to assume the best. It's not a boost issue- it's about counteracting a potential negative. In this case the addendum isn't compensating for the GPA itself (although it is a negative), but rather showing that OP's brother has a "less bad" reason for having that GPA (compared to an excuse like partying/slacking).

It'll also give him a bit of socioeconomic diversity (the latter half, since he had to work to pay for school). Which, again, won't mitigate the GPA, but it will be a small factor in his favor.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”