been out of UG for 11 years...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fb_coach2013

been out of UG for 11 years...

Postby fb_coach2013 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:42 pm

I've been out of school for a while now. I received BS in 2002, MS in 2004, and I been a high school teacher and coach since then. My questions are...
1) do I get a different look at my LSAT results VS UG GPA (recent test VS very distant indicator)?
2) how much 1 retook 3hr F drop a 3.3 UG GPA for 128hrs?
3) how much will grad school 36hr GPA 3.4 be viewed/averaged?

And I recommend 7sage for online lsat prep. I'm PT'ing near 160, up from 2002 Oct 147 in just 2.5 months.

guano

Re: been out of UG for 11 years...

Postby guano » Thu May 30, 2013 3:46 pm

1) no
2) no
3) no

No spamming

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Thu May 30, 2013 3:47 pm

fb_coach2013 wrote:I've been out of school for a while now. I received BS in 2002, MS in 2004, and I been a high school teacher and coach since then. My questions are...
1) do I get a different look at my LSAT results VS UG GPA (recent test VS very distant indicator)?
2) how much 1 retook 3hr F drop a 3.3 UG GPA for 128hrs?
3) how much will grad school 36hr GPA 3.4 be viewed/averaged?

I'm PT'ing near 160, up from 2002 Oct 147 in just 2.5 months.

1. Nope. All that matters is LSAT/UGPA
2. Not sure. LSAC will calculate your GPA
3. Softs generally don't matter

Congrats on the LSAT improvement. Study very, very hard and shoot for the highest score possible.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 30, 2013 3:48 pm

LSAC will count the F and the grade you ultimately got on the retake, unless your transcript does not show the F or indicate a retake (which is generally rare).

Hat.trick

Postby Hat.trick » Thu May 30, 2013 5:52 pm

The above poster are right, all that matters is UGPA and LSAT to get into LAW SCHOOL but think about what exactly you want to do with that degree. Many biglaw firms wont hire applicants that are too old (over 30)

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Thu May 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Hat.trick wrote:The above poster are right, all that matters is UGPA and LSAT to get into LAW SCHOOL but think about what exactly you want to do with that degree. Many biglaw firms wont hire applicants that are too old (over 30)

Where do you get your information? I don't think age matters that much...if your over 35 it may be an issue, but I think early 30 is fine

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 30, 2013 6:00 pm

Hat.trick wrote:The above poster are right, all that matters is UGPA and LSAT to get into LAW SCHOOL but think about what exactly you want to do with that degree. Many biglaw firms wont hire applicants that are too old (over 30)

I don't think that your information re: big law is correct. Do a forum search, this topic has come up many times.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu May 30, 2013 6:05 pm

false. Every 30+ student I know did well at OCI. I am one of 5 30+ summers at my firm in a class of around 20.

guano

Postby guano » Thu May 30, 2013 7:30 pm

Icculus wrote:

false. Every 30+ student I know did well at OCI. I am one of 5 30+ summers at my firm in a class of around 20.

30 out of every 20 students is 30+?
Gotta love lawyer math

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu May 30, 2013 7:38 pm

guano wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Gotta love lawyer math

QFP

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Thu May 30, 2013 7:41 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
guano wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Gotta love lawyer math

QFP

:lol:

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu May 30, 2013 7:47 pm

guano wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Gotta love lawyer math

Wow, silly me for typing this rather quickly.

I am one of 5 30 y/o or older summer associates at my firm in a summer class of around 20. Better guano? And FYI I used to tutor GRE and SAT math, so I am not one of these "math is scary" law students. All the 30y/o+ people I know did well at OCI.

fb_coach2013

Postby fb_coach2013 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks for replies. I didn't know grad school was not considered for GPA or heavily other than "soft". Nor did I think ugpa would be a overwhelming indicator of acceptance due to length of time past (figured it logical to lean more on recent event--LSAT). Thanks for replies, regardless.

I am not sure what I want to do with degree. But I have no expectations of 130k+ salary, my teaching salary is 60k. That or more is fine with me.

I have hazelwood exemption in Texas (tuition free @ state schools) and a aptitude and passion for argument, justice, etc. And LSAT whipped me in 2001, so I figured I'd give it another go with some prep. I'm looking at a new law school (2014 UNT in Dallas), and several other state schools in Texas (UH, U Tex, tech). Higher ranking schools (u tex & uh) are a move for family and most likely not an option, even if LSAT score is higher (160+). I will have to have serious talk with wife if u tex accepts that low a LSAT/GPA.

Sorry about product placement, wasn't spamming. I'm real, just felt compelled to give good review. I'm much better at LR and LG and even have RC improvements due to course. But I will say no more on it.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu May 30, 2013 8:33 pm

guano

Postby guano » Fri May 31, 2013 12:00 am

Icculus wrote:
guano wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Gotta love lawyer math

Wow, silly me for typing this rather quickly.

I am one of 5 30 y/o or older summer associates at my firm in a summer class of around 20. Better guano? And FYI I used to tutor GRE and SAT math, so I am not one of these "math is scary" law students. All the 30y/o+ people I know did well at OCI.

Reading comprehension fail on my part

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:21 am

Icculus wrote:

Like the others who commented on this, being 30+ in and of itself does not hurt your chances at biglaw. For example, say you want to be a patent attorney in big law. In terms of hard science patent attorneys, they will probably only consider applicants with PhDs, and by the time you complete your bachelor's, a PhD (~5-7 years), and a JD, even if you went from one to the next without any break, you will be 30+.
Furthermore, some biglaw firms would love to hire someone 30+ with relevant work experience (e.g., investment banking, for example).
You may or may not be hoping for big law, but wherever you apply, as long as you market yourself and the value you bring to the firm, you'll be fine.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri May 31, 2013 10:36 am

mx23250 wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Like the others who commented on this, being 30+ in and of itself does not hurt your chances at biglaw. For example, say you want to be a patent attorney in big law. In terms of hard science patent attorneys, they will probably only consider applicants with PhDs, and by the time you complete your bachelor's, a PhD (~5-7 years), and a JD, even if you went from one to the next without any break, you will be 30+.
Furthermore, some biglaw firms would love to hire someone 30+ with relevant work experience (e.g., investment banking, for example) any work experience because then the firm doesn't have to teach you how to be a grown up, work in an office, and learn to deal with coworkers and bosses.You may or may not be hoping for big law, but wherever you apply, as long as you market yourself and the value you bring to the firm, you'll be fine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”