Pursuing law school as a 2 year, post-grad; A few Questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mason15

Pursuing law school as a 2 year, post-grad; A few Questions

Postby mason15 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:07 am

Since graduating in May of 2012, I have been working full time and have recently decided to pursue law school. This decision is one I have wrestled with since undergrad, but up until more recently I felt I lacked the conviction and enthusiasm to pursue this path; I felt it would be a poor choice to spend a large amount of money pursuing something I wasn't 100% sure about. Now that the enthusiasm is there, I'm beginning to prepare for the October LSAT, and plan to study extensively on my own as well as register for a course. Meanwhile, as I begin to prepare for the LSAT and the admissions process, a number of questions have come to mind that I was hoping someone could weigh in on:

During the spring of my senior year, I took the LSAT as a last minute decision and was all-around unprepared. The result was a less than desireable, but probably deserved 147. I feel that with enough studying and the use of a prep course, I can bring this up substantially, but will the previous 147 tarnish my chances of getting into a good law school? Having graduated with a 3.4 GPA, is there a score that you feel I MUST have to be considered for schools like UGA, FSU, UA, Mercer and Georgia State?

Also, how would an admissions department view a change in jobs after only one year of working? Having decided to pursue law school, I have considered leaving the job I currently have and going to work for a law firm as a runner, etc. to gain expsosure to different aspects of law. I have also considered moving back into GA for the purpose of reestablishing residence and finding "a job" in an area with a lower cost of living, and possibly higher pay, in an effort to save up some money before starting school again. Of course, if this is likely to be viewed negatively, I would reconsider. I realize these kinds of questions come up all the time, but if anyone has any experience or insight into a similar situation, I would really appreciate your response.

Thanks for your time.

bp shinners

Re: Pursuing law school as a 2 year, post-grad; A few Questions

Postby bp shinners » Thu May 30, 2013 12:22 pm

mason15 wrote:During the spring of my senior year, I took the LSAT as a last minute decision and was all-around unprepared. The result was a less than desireable, but probably deserved 147. I feel that with enough studying and the use of a prep course, I can bring this up substantially, but will the previous 147 tarnish my chances of getting into a good law school?

Most schools will focus on your higher LSAT, so while it would be better to not have that 147 on your record, it's certainly not going to freeze you out of a school that you would otherwise be admitted to with the higher score.

And you can't really change it, so no reason to worry about it!

Having graduated with a 3.4 GPA, is there a score that you feel I MUST have to be considered for schools like UGA, FSU, UA, Mercer and Georgia State?

Wrong way to be looking at it. Your 3.4 GPA is towards the 25% for those schools. So don't focus on a target score - focus on getting as high of an LSAT as possible. It might open up other schools as a possibility (Emory, for instance) or land you a full ride to one of those schools you listed (since you seem to want to stay in the Georgia/Florida area).

Also, how would an admissions department view a change in jobs after only one year of working?

It won't be a negative. Keep yourself busy and productive.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”