LSAC gpa is about 2.98 - 3.02. Is there anything I can do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
laww

LSAC gpa is about 2.98 - 3.02. Is there anything I can do?

Postby laww » Wed May 29, 2013 7:10 pm

I have 1 W, 2 Fs.

1 W is from when I signed up to take 2 courses during a winter session. I ended up dropping one class because it was too much pressure on me with work + classes. Since they were accelerated, they had ridiculous amounts of work. Both were English 300 level classes and required multiple essays.

1 F is from a calculus class I took which I later found out I did not need to take for my major. It was engineering calc and I only needed general calc. The class was extremely hard for me and I did not do well.

The other F is from a computer science class my advisor placed me into without informing me that it had a pre-requisite. I re-took the class (different professor with way harder projects, but the guy was a mentor to me and actually gave me recommendations after I took 2 other "intensive" programming classes with him and got A's in both) and got a B+.

Other than that my first year was just really bad due to my own faults: I had a surgery and after that I just slacked for about a year. It was awful. I managed to pull Dean's list in the last 4 semesters and re-took a class from freshman year in which I did poorly, replacing it with an A.

I have talked with my professors from my last two years of college and I have five professors ready and willing to give me letters of recommendation. My boss at work is also very generous and appreciates my input even though my role is very small.

Should I go to my school's registrar and ask whether they can remove my W and Fs from the transcript due to the circumstances? If they do that I think my LSAC GPA will go up like 0.1 lol.

In addition do colleges actually just throw out apps that have decent LSAT scores but low GPAs or do they actually read the letters of recommendation and see what professors had to say about me? I'm taking a online LSAT prep class to complement my self-study. I managed to get a 176 on the June 2004 LSAT and by October I'm hoping to ace this test.
Last edited by laww on Wed May 29, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Re: LSAC gpa is about 2.98 - 3.02. Is there anything I can do?

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed May 29, 2013 7:12 pm

You can petition your school to change those grades retroactively to non-punitive withdrawals.

Other than that, just study for the LSAT and apply to splitter-friendly schools.

laww

Postby laww » Wed May 29, 2013 7:14 pm

Which schools are splitter friendly?

A TLS member showed me a site called http://www.mylsn.info and it shows that I have some chance at Upenn and UVA.

Should I even bother applying to HSCCN? Of the five professors who are willing to give me recommendations, three are from NYU and one has a MBA from harvard. Would their recommendations help at all?

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed May 29, 2013 7:16 pm

laww wrote:Which schools are splitter friendly?

A TLS member showed me a site called http://www.mylsn.info and it shows that I have some chance at Upenn and UVA.

Should I even bother applying to HSCCN? Of the five professors who are willing to give me recommendations, three are from NYU and one has a MBA from harvard. Would their recommendations help at all?

H and S are completely out of the question.

CCN are worth throwing an app at with a high enough LSAT.

But your letters of rec won't mean a thing unless you score 173+.

And yes, myLSN is very useful in gauging your chances once you have actual numbers.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Last edited by laxbrah420 on Thu May 30, 2013 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

laww

Postby laww » Wed May 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Okay cool.

Its silly to think a top law school would consider a dude like me who slacked in the first years of college. I made a stupid decision and now I'm dealing with it.

I'm planning on studying for the GMAT (in a couple months) as well since I would like to continue getting as much education as I can. I'm all right at test taking so do you think if I manage to get high scores on BOTH lsat and GMAT that schools will think twice? Or is that GPA really that much of an issue? How good of an idea do you think it would be to apply for JD/MBA with my GPA?

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:24 pm

there's zero reason to apply to jd/mba straight up. do it after your first law school year bro, if you still wanna pursue something stupid

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed May 29, 2013 10:53 pm

3.0/173 here. your addendum won't make any bit of difference. You have to kill the LSAT to get T14, but its very doable. Your best bets are NU (if you have work experience) or ED UVA. If you score 176+, you might have a shot at penn with ED if you have an otherwise solid app (this would be a stretch, but they do take splitters). GL with that though, most people score lower than their PT avg (4 points here)

ETA: work experience meaning post graduate work experience, if you're k-jd your best(only?) bet will be ED UVA

onionz

Postby onionz » Wed May 29, 2013 11:07 pm

I'm in at nu with 172/3.05. Ed Penn might have worked. On wait list at Chicago and Columbia and was just interviewed at Chicago last week..

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed May 29, 2013 11:11 pm

laww wrote:Okay cool.

Its silly to think a top law school would consider a dude like me who slacked in the first years of college. I made a stupid decision and now I'm dealing with it.

I'm planning on studying for the GMAT (in a couple months) as well since I would like to continue getting as much education as I can. I'm all right at test taking so do you think if I manage to get high scores on BOTH lsat and GMAT that schools will think twice? Or is that GPA really that much of an issue? How good of an idea do you think it would be to apply for JD/MBA with my GPA?

Shitboomer talk. Think of post-undergrad education (e.g., JD, MBA) as a means to an end, not as something intrinsically worthwhile. In other words, don't aim for a degree without a clear idea of how it will help you professionally.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”