They still exist

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
suralin
better than you

Re: They still exist

Postby suralin » Wed May 29, 2013 8:34 pm

Lol I don't see why there's so much hate directed towards the OP. It seems pretty clear that he wasn't being a douche IRL. Congrats on Yale man.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed May 29, 2013 9:09 pm

Suralin wrote:Lol I don't see why there's so much hate directed towards the OP. It seems pretty clear that he wasn't being a douche IRL. Congrats on Yale man.

I'm not giving him hate. I'm giving him advice. It is fine to tell people you are going to Yale if you aren't an ass. I think that posting "they still exist" shows complete contempt for this other kid who has bought into the law school dream just as much as OP. the other kid may have bad advice, whatever, he isn't a specimen to be held up for examination by his betters.

This is the impression OP gave me. And I think arguing that Yale isn't a "big"school because of its small class size is super douchey. He knew what the person meant a but he manages to emphasize the exclusivity of his school by showing how few people are admitted. He should have said something like: "I want academia so I'm going to Yale because it is the best school for that. But I know that schools like Florida coastal are good for some people but I've heard that their employment statistics are really bad. "

Maybe OP isn't aspie or cluelessly arrogant. Just my impression based on his post. I still don't think that OP will get through to this kid unless he comes up with an attitude where he isn't telling the kid how wrong he his or even considering the kid inferior to himself. Yale is a fantastic school but it doesn't mean you win at life over other people.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed May 29, 2013 9:13 pm

Suralin wrote:Lol I don't see why there's so much hate directed towards the OP. It seems pretty clear that he wasn't being a douche IRL. Congrats on Yale man.

everyone doesn't hate him, everyone is just extremely jealous (including me) of him for going to yale law school — the most prestigious law school in the world.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 29, 2013 9:25 pm

quakeroats wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Who cares

You're not bros w this dude

And he didn't seem to ask for your advice

Just let him do what he wants

Everyone in this thread. Forums and article comments (and much of the rest of the internet) are dedicated to anonymous people correcting and yelling at other anonymous people. Welcome to the party.

dood

the internet interaction w anon strangers

is different from irl

think for ab it for 2 seconds

mehiguess

Postby mehiguess » Wed May 29, 2013 9:30 pm

OP, as a future lawyer I do believe it is your duty to "council" this kid. Find all the facts regarding his decision and then expose him to this forum, lst, and lsn for that matter. I was pysched to get into law school last fall, then I stumbled upon this website and it was clear that I needed to retake the LSAT and reevaluate my options. You could only be helping him.
Last edited by mehiguess on Thu May 30, 2013 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 29, 2013 9:38 pm

mehiguess wrote:OP, as a future lawyer I do believe it is your duty to "council" this kid.

lol

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed May 29, 2013 9:45 pm

rad lulz wrote:
mehiguess wrote:OP, as a future lawyer I do believe it is your duty to "council" this kid.

lol

:lol:

laww

Postby laww » Wed May 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Wow so if I get a >173 lsat I'll just apply to his school coz my GPA is shit

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed May 29, 2013 9:49 pm

laww wrote:Wow so if I get a >173 lsat I'll just apply to his school coz my GPA is shit

If you get 173+ and your GPA is somewhere in between 2.6-2.9, ED UVA.

laww

Postby laww » Wed May 29, 2013 10:06 pm

Man I'm gonna study so hard over the next four months so I can do my best on the actual LSAT. I know I have 0 chance at Stanford with a ~3.00 LSAC GPA but I'm going to apply anyway if I score really high. Maybe my personal statement can woo them as well as my transcript from the final 1.5 years of college where I had all A's in my core 300/400 level CS classes (except C+ in networking.. bleh).

We all know I have no chance but maybe... just maybe... nah fuck it I'm still depressed.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed May 29, 2013 10:25 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

lol

:lol:

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed May 29, 2013 10:28 pm

Cicero76 wrote:Told him Yale law

Lol

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed May 29, 2013 10:39 pm

laww wrote:Man I'm gonna study so hard over the next four months so I can do my best on the actual LSAT. I know I have 0 chance at Stanford with a ~3.00 LSAC GPA but I'm going to apply anyway if I score really high. Maybe my personal statement can woo them as well as my transcript from the final 1.5 years of college where I had all A's in my core 300/400 level CS classes (except C+ in networking.. bleh).

We all know I have no chance but maybe... just maybe... nah fuck it I'm still depressed.

lolwut

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed May 29, 2013 10:56 pm

This is bullshit. Maybe if the ABA would do their god damn job and force future students to view employment and salary statistics in relation to debt, OP wouldn't have to.

Sorry bro, but you owe it to him to atleast tell him to check out LST. No one deserves debt enslavement in return for a CoasTTTal education.

Lol @ people criticizing the smallest of intricacies in OPs dialogue and calling him weird for it.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed May 29, 2013 11:02 pm

sinfiery wrote:This is bullshit. Maybe if the ABA would do their god damn job and force future students to view employment and salary statistics in relation to debt, OP wouldn't have to.

Sorry bro, but you owe it to him to atleast tell him to check out LST. No one deserves debt enslavement in return for a CoasTTTal education.

Lol @ people criticizing the smallest of intricacies in OPs dialogue and calling him weird for it.

To be fair, the debt-burden argument is gone for most borrowers. Even if you borrow $1 million and can't get a job better than Starbucks, all you'd owe is 10% of your salary above 22k for 20 years. That's a reasonable figure for almost everyone.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed May 29, 2013 11:06 pm

Fair point. I hope Cooley and Coastal get sued by the US Govt for PAYE abuse or something though.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Wed May 29, 2013 11:11 pm

quakeroats wrote:
sinfiery wrote:This is bullshit. Maybe if the ABA would do their god damn job and force future students to view employment and salary statistics in relation to debt, OP wouldn't have to.

To be fair, the debt-burden argument is gone for most borrowers. Even if you borrow $1 million and can't get a job better than Starbucks, all you'd owe is 10% of your salary above 22k for 20 years. That's a reasonable figure for almost everyone.

That's a pretty terrible way to look at things. Someone, somewhere is paying for it. In the case you just described, it's probably the taxpayers. That seems like a pretty shitty way to act, simply because you can.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:51 pm

This thread became a truly unexpected lolfest. But it seems I got the answer I was looking for, which is the suggestion to introduce him to law school transparency. That seems better than what I almost did today, which was to tell him about TLS and scambloggers before I realized that was a terrible idea because it would either seriously depress him or roll right off him as too absurd to be true. LST is probably an easier way to start opening your eyes.

NYstate wrote:

I'm not giving him hate. I'm giving him advice. It is fine to tell people you are going to Yale if you aren't an ass. I think that posting "they still exist" shows complete contempt for this other kid who has bought into the law school dream just as much as OP. the other kid may have bad advice, whatever, he isn't a specimen to be held up for examination by his betters.

This is the impression OP gave me. And I think arguing that Yale isn't a "big"school because of its small class size is super douchey. He knew what the person meant a but he manages to emphasize the exclusivity of his school by showing how few people are admitted. He should have said something like: "I want academia so I'm going to Yale because it is the best school for that. But I know that schools like Florida coastal are good for some people but I've heard that their employment statistics are really bad. "

Maybe OP isn't aspie or cluelessly arrogant. Just my impression based on his post. I still don't think that OP will get through to this kid unless he comes up with an attitude where he isn't telling the kid how wrong he his or even considering the kid inferior to himself. Yale is a fantastic school but it doesn't mean you win at life over other people.

He said "at a big school like Yale they probably can't give you tutors" because there's too many students to get that kind of attention, and when I told him there were only 200 students in the class he was shocked. He assumed it was like Harvard, which he knew was a huge school in terms of students from what he'd heard. I didn't tell him FL Coastal was good for some people because it's not. Ever. I told him I had a cousin who went there and he hasn't had the best time since graduation, because the market is really tough, etc. But my cousin is also probably the luckiest Coastal grad ever (finally landed a PD job in a tiny town) so he makes a bad cautionary tale.

I feel like the hate ITT is my fault for A) ever mentioning Yale and B) relating my dialogue with the guy in a way that I assumed matched the venom that usually marks TLS talk about TTTTs. I didn't think people would think that the way EVERYONE here talks about horrific schools and the victims who attend them is how we would actually approach talking to said victims IRL. Two different environments....

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu May 30, 2013 12:54 am

sinfiery wrote:Lol @ people criticizing the smallest of intricacies in OPs dialogue and calling him weird for it.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu May 30, 2013 12:57 am

quakeroats wrote:

This is just stupid. As always, you either pretend that the tax bomb doesn't exist or assume that it won't, and you ignore all the consequences that accompany having six-figure debt tied to one's name.

guano

Postby guano » Thu May 30, 2013 12:59 am

I usually advise them to go to TLS. Maybe they learn, maybe they deliver lulz.

You can couch it, by saying e.g. that there are tips on preparing for school, or how to do well on exams.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu May 30, 2013 1:07 am

Cicero, if you introduce him to LST, be sure to tell him that all of the employment information comes from data compiled by the ABA.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu May 30, 2013 2:20 am

isuperserial wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

That's a pretty terrible way to look at things. Someone, somewhere is paying for it. In the case you just described, it's probably the taxpayers. That seems like a pretty shitty way to act, simply because you can.

Sure, but so what? This is how it works in our system. You buy a million dollar house even if you have no use for more than 1000 square feet and you can typically deduct the interest. You run a private equity fund and made $800 million last year and you can usually pay only the capital gains rate instead of the income rate everyone else pays. You run the largest public company in the US. You're allowed to move your intellectual property through a series of foreign subs to turn income that would otherwise be earned in the US into income earned in a stateless nether region (and thereafter wait for another tax holiday to repatriate the billions in earnings at a tax rate of 0%).

All of these are bad tax policies, but you're not on the Ways and Means committee are you? You're a taxpayer, and the reasonable thing to do is abide by the rules of the road without questioning whether a particular tax expenditure makes sense as national policy. If you want to change the system, go ahead. But you can't ignore the parts mandatory parts of the tax code that unjustly disadvantage you, so why ignore the unjust benefits?
Last edited by quakeroats on Thu May 30, 2013 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu May 30, 2013 2:24 am

Ti Malice wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

This is just stupid. As always, you either pretend that the tax bomb doesn't exist or assume that it won't, and you ignore all the consequences that accompany having six-figure debt tied to one's name.

The "tax bomb" exists, but won't for much long. It's on the Democrats agenda and they have 20 years to pass it, it would be extremely unpopular if it were allowed to happen, similar relief has been granted for PI loans, etc. Also, the negative consequences of having debt that you pay on time attached to your name are negligible.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:23 am

My view is that if someone doesn't listen to some of the subtle advice and you aren't committed or extremely care about their futures, yelling isn't worth it.
If you care, then tie 'em to a chair and show them the proof.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”