They still exist Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NoWorries

New

Re: They still exist

Post by NoWorries » Thu May 30, 2013 3:41 am

If a shell game is going on and a bunch of tourists are trapped are you just going to let them get played or warn them?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 30, 2013 4:03 am

NoWorries wrote:If a shell game is going on and a bunch of tourists are trapped are you just going to let them get played or warn them?
Warn them

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:14 am

You need to warn your friend that Florida Coastal is one of the worst of the worst. Not only are they garbage when it comes to employment rates, but they are one of the few for-profit law schools out there. In this aspect, they are actually worse than Cooley and the like. Accordingly, they aren't in this game to educate students, but rather to make money. Read this post for more info.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu May 30, 2013 4:16 am

Regulus wrote:You need to warn your friend that Florida Coastal is one of the worst of the worst. Not only are they garbage when it comes to employment rates, but they are one of the few for-profit law schools out there. In this aspect, they are actually worse than Cooley and the like. Accordingly, they aren't in this game to educate students, but rather to make money. Read this post for more info.
a school worse than Cooley? I thought I'd never hear the day Regulus would say such a horrendous thing!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu May 30, 2013 4:18 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:20 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
Regulus wrote:You need to warn your friend that Florida Coastal is one of the worst of the worst. Not only are they garbage when it comes to employment rates, but they are one of the few for-profit law schools out there. In this aspect, they are actually worse than Cooley and the like. Accordingly, they aren't in this game to educate students, but rather to make money. Read this post for more info.
a school worse than Cooley? I thought I'd never hear the day Regulus would say such a horrendous thing!
Are you serious, Dre? There are a shit-ton of schools worse than Cooley out there. :lol:

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Thu May 30, 2013 4:21 am

rad lulz wrote:Who cares

You're not bros w this dude

And he didn't seem to ask for your advice

Just let him do what he wants
If it was you, would you want the person to tell you that you COULD be making a life mistake? He seems uninformed. What is there to lose by telling the guy that he needs to do more research? OP will sleep well at night knowing that he tried to help the guy. If he ignores the info, that's all on him. But if he winds up $250K in debt, unable to eat, homeless, etc, won't OP wish that he had said something?

Be a hero and tell the guy what's up. Otherwise, what goes around could come back around to OP.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu May 30, 2013 4:30 am

Warning: hypothetical scenario

What would you do if your bf/gf or SO wanted to attend a TTT?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu May 30, 2013 4:34 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu May 30, 2013 4:37 am

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu May 30, 2013 4:43 am

Bro I know UCI is not as bad as Florida Coastal, but c'mon man, you can't say UCI is a solid state flagship.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu May 30, 2013 4:45 am

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu May 30, 2013 4:55 am

I think UCI is a trap school:

1. people think it's up and coming SINCE prospective students become enchanted and duped my its stats (which are not representative of UCI at all) especially because of Chemerinsky's constant fellatio-ing of prospective employers and judges AND the full-rides given to the first graduating class;
2. semi-intelligent people matriculate;
3. then, post-graduation, they'll get royally fucked.

4. Thus, UCI is indeed a TTT.

Florida Coastal and those similar schools are TTTT.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu May 30, 2013 5:01 am

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Thu May 30, 2013 5:16 am

This thread astounds me for general douchebaggery all around. I don't think OP was a huge asshole. I get that some people can do the arrogant "I GO TO A GOOD SCHOOL AND YOU DON'T, LOL" thing, but if you know people who went to TTT schools, it's hard to let people say things like "I'm going to Florida Coastal" and not want to do something. Law school is such an astoundingly poor decision that I'd advise against attended almost any school (including my own) if someone had anything better to do with her life/wasn't already a sad sack of crap. I don't go around scaring admitted students or yelling at everyone I know, but if the topic of law school comes up, I'm completely honest. I think the picture you paint of any school (except for maybe Yale) ends up pretty bleak.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu May 30, 2013 5:28 am

PDaddy wrote:

If it was you, would you want the person to tell you that you COULD be making a life mistake? He seems uninformed. What is there to lose by telling the guy that he needs to do more research? OP will sleep well at night knowing that he tried to help the guy. If he ignores the info, that's all on him. But if he winds up $250K in debt, unable to eat, homeless, etc, won't OP wish that he had said something?

Be a hero and tell the guy what's up. Otherwise, what goes around could come back around to OP.
I'm not OPs dumbass acquaintance

If I were, no, I would not want him to tell me

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu May 30, 2013 6:57 am

Find out who this prelaw advisor is and send him/her all the relevant links, too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:12 am

rad lulz wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

I'm not OPs dumbass acquaintance

If I were, no, I would not want him to tell me
Nobody wants to hear something that goes against what they believe, even if it is what is best for them. It takes time for people to undergo change, and it isn't exactly an easy process. :|

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu May 30, 2013 8:15 am

I'm with rad lulz in that you shouldn't be telling that person anything, if he isn't your bro.

And even if it is in that person's well-being, you still shouldn't tell him anything, if he isn't your bro of course.

However, someone should do something about thattt stupid ass advisor that influenced OP's acquaintance.
Last edited by Dr. Dre on Thu May 30, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

drive4showLSAT4dough

Bronze

Post by drive4showLSAT4dough » Thu May 30, 2013 8:20 am

Dr. Dre wrote:I'm with rad lulz in that you shouldn't be telling that person anything, if he isn't your bro.

And even if it is in that person's well-being, you still shouldn't tell him anything, if he isn't your bro of course.

However, someone should do something about thattt advisor.
Funny considering all the unsolicited advice on TLS between non-bros.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:20 am

Dr. Dre wrote:I'm with rad lulz in that you shouldn't be telling that person anything, if he isn't your bro.

However, someone should do something about thattt advisor.
I dunno man... if you were walking across a bridge and saw someone starting to climb over the rail in order to commit suicide, would you try to stop them, or would you just let them jump because they're "not your bro"? Letting someone go to a for-profit TTT without saying anything is the same thing as letting someone commit financial suicide right in front of you. If they really want to jump they'll do it anyways, but I personally would at least try to talk them out of it. :|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu May 30, 2013 8:22 am

drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:
Bro.

TLS and IRL are totally different beasts.

When you enter TLS, you tacitly consent to being given advice — no matter how blunt and demeaning. You are automatically a bro.

IRL, you don't give tacit consent, therefore, one cannot give you advice until you ask for it — explicitly or implicitly. You don't automatically become a bro with someone just because you ate lunch with dat person.

HTH.

drive4showLSAT4dough

Bronze

Post by drive4showLSAT4dough » Thu May 30, 2013 8:31 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:
Bro.

TLS and IRL are totally different beasts.

When you enter TLS, you tacitly consent to being given advice — no matter how blunt and demeaning. You are automatically a bro.

IRL, you don't give tacit consent, therefore, one cannot give you advice until you ask for it — explicitly or implicitly. You don't automatically become a bro with someone just because you ate lunch with dat person.

HTH.
No.

On TLS, people like to humblebrag under the veil of "discussing their options" (I do it, too). OPs can expect advice without actually asking for it.

IRL, people like to humblebrag under the veil of "discussing their options" -- and its still okay to give unsolicited advice. Only meaningful difference in this situation is that IRL you have to try not to look like as big of a dick.

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Thu May 30, 2013 8:42 am

OP is not being an ass. I've been confronted with a similar situation, and it sucks bc you feel bad and want to help. Someone I know is going to John Marshall in Chicago on sticker. His mother has consulted me on what I think since she knows I was going thru the same process as her son at the same time (yeah, I'm thinking the same thing). I didn't know what to say without sounding like a pretentious ass. I told her that he really needs to weigh the risks (financial and employment) accordingly bc the legal field is not what it is perceived to be. Then i changed the subject bc I know that no matter what I say, the guy is not going to change his mind. One of his close friends just graduated from JMLS in the same situation and cannot find a job and had to defer his loan payments. If that alone isn't convincing enough, nothing I say will matter. Some are so desperate to just do SOMETHING "bigger" and "better" or to just postpone actually working to make money that they will take any offer thrown at them.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu May 30, 2013 8:43 am

You missed my point but that's OK.

Ur 2nd full sentence: OP's acquaintance wasn't "discussing his options." He was already set on attending a festering a TTTT. So OP can't tell him shiTTT.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”