They still exist Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ph5354a

Gold

Re: They still exist

Post by ph5354a » Wed May 29, 2013 6:48 pm

My roommate falls into this category. We're friends, but not quite close enough for me to be honest with her about it. I used to get super defensive about people who think that they're geniuses for getting decent money at a TTT while I was a naive fool for paying close to sticker at Columbia. I agree that you should at least try to educate them via LST, but remember that you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink. Some people are so deluded they're at the point of no return.

The sad thing about my roommate is that she actually works at a law firm and has taken the time to talk to a lot of the associates there about law schools, so she thinks shes really well informed. Somehow she got the impression that it was worth it to go to a lesser school in the hopes that she would end up closer to the top of her class. I have no idea why people try to factor such a huge unknown into their decision making process. Granted, she's not paying anywhere close to sticker and is planning on trying to transfer, so that's at least something.

But I swear to lucifer, if I have to hear one more lecture about all the clerkship opportunities this TTT offers, I'm going to lose my shit.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed May 29, 2013 6:52 pm

My neighbor wants me to go to uci law school. I told her no way and she got butthurt.

thefuturenow

New

Post by thefuturenow » Wed May 29, 2013 6:52 pm

nickb285 wrote:
justcallmeit wrote:
deadpoetnsp wrote:
Grazzhoppa wrote:kool.
story.
bro.
!

And this is why one has no choice but to love TLS.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed May 29, 2013 6:57 pm

I live near a notorious TTT. Whenever I tell people I'm going to law school they ask with excitement "oh at TTT?!?" And I try not to snort in reply.

This thread is actually a great outlet for me. Thanks, Cicero.

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:59 pm

ph5354a wrote:I live near a notorious TTT. Whenever I tell people I'm going to law school they ask with excitement "oh at TTT?!?" And I try not to snort in reply.

Learn to give less fucks, you will be happier.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Munson

New

Post by Munson » Wed May 29, 2013 7:01 pm

This is one of the most arrogant posts I've read on TLS, and that's saying something.

First, it really isn't any of your business what your acquaintance plans to do with his own life. General statements about the high cost of law school, loan debt, and the competitiveness of the legal market are more than sufficient to convey the point you were trying to make. Obliquely informing a person that their law school pales in comparison to your own is extremely condescending.

Second, when someone asks you what you're doing next year, you tell them you are going to law school, not "Yale Law." If they ask where, then maybe you drop the Y-bomb on them. A little humility will serve you well in life. Both your conversation with your coworker and your post here are transparent boasting. You got into Yale. Congratulations. Let your capability speak for itself, rather than tooting your own horn. If anyone at that lunch believed they were a special snowflake, it was you.

Third, your demeaning tone only exposes that your actual motivation for "warning" your coworker about Florida Coastal was to throw in his face the disparity between your own school and his. I can only assume your intent was malicious because certainly you are smart enough to understand the impact of your pompous comparisons. As you'll learn, being an effective lawyer is about not only developing smart arguments, but also figuring out how best to present those arguments to the intended audience. You missed the mark badly on this one.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed May 29, 2013 7:02 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:I live near a notorious TTT. Whenever I tell people I'm going to law school they ask with excitement "oh at TTT?!?" And I try not to snort in reply.

Hah this is true. I don't give many fucks about these responses, it's just the difference between TLS and real-life interactions that catches me off guard sometimes. I forget there are people in real life that think certain schools are worth attending.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 29, 2013 7:07 pm

Munson wrote:This is one of the most arrogant posts I've read on TLS, and that's saying something.

First, it really isn't any of your business what your acquaintance plans to do with his own life. General statements about the high cost of law school, loan debt, and the competitiveness of the legal market are more than sufficient to convey the point you were trying to make. Obliquely informing a person that their law school pales in comparison to your own is extremely condescending.

Second, when someone asks you what you're doing next year, you tell them you are going to law school, not "Yale Law." If they ask where, then maybe you drop the Y-bomb on them. A little humility will serve you well in life. Both your conversation with your coworker and your post here are transparent boasting. You got into Yale. Congratulations. Let your capability speak for itself, rather than tooting your own horn. If anyone at that lunch believed they were a special snowflake, it was you.

Third, your demeaning tone only exposes that your actual motivation for "warning" your coworker about Florida Coastal was to throw in his face the disparity between your own school and his. I can only assume your intent was malicious because certainly you are smart enough to understand the impact of your pompous comparisons. As you'll learn, being an effective lawyer is about not only developing smart arguments, but also figuring out how best to present those arguments to the intended audience. You missed the mark badly on this one.

I think you may be overplaying OP's malicious intent here. The post didn't read very pompous. A little unnecessary, sure, but most of what is posted here is unnecessary. We're bored as fuck waiting for law school to start. Cicero's a good dude, even if he's on the young side. I would be frustrated trying to explain this too.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed May 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Wait, is OP going to Yale law?!?!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed May 29, 2013 7:10 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:Wait, is OP going to Yale law?!?!!
Only because they offered more $ than UCI

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:10 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:Wait, is OP going to Yale law?!?!!
Maybe if you make this joke a third time people will think you are funny?

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:11 pm

Munson wrote:This is one of the most arrogant posts I've read on TLS, and that's saying something.

NYstate wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Oh wait, I just noticed that people are encouraging this type of idiotic behavior. Unless you're actually friends with the dude, leave it be. Even then, it's debatable whether you should say shit like "I'm going to Yale and you're going to a padded room."
I agree. I don't know if OP is the person to pull this off. Starting a thread with " they still exist" is a bad sign.

I think there should be a decent way to tell a person about the scam. But I don't think OP had the right approach.
I didn't tell him I went to Yale because he asked me what I was doing after the summer, I told him I went to Yale because he said "I'm going to law school too! Are you going in Florida?"

As for demeaning tone, this is TLS. Obviously I didn't talk to him like he was a moron. He's incredibly uninformed, yes, and I happened to enjoy having lunch with him so I would rather him not take out a quarter million dollars in useless debt. I politely asked him how he heard about it, how he was going to pay for it, and if he'd researched any other schools. Assuming that because I act one way on the internets (specifically a board about this very topic) I'd be moronic enough to act that way to an actual breathing person is pretty silly.

Yes, "they still exist" would be a really rude way to go about talking to the guy. But this is a thread on TLS, not the actual conversation I was having. I came here to ask a bunch of people who already know how terrible a decision bad law schools are to chime in on how to guide someone toward reconsidering without offending them or belittling them.

And I didn't throw Yale in his face--the only time it came up was in response to his specific questions, like "are you going in Florida" and "at a big school like that...." He honestly had no idea of rankings--Yale and UF were about the same level to him, so it's not like I could make him feel inferior even if I felt like doing so.

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:15 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

I think you may be overplaying OP's malicious intent here. The post didn't read very pompous. A little unnecessary, sure, but most of what is posted here is unnecessary. We're bored as fuck waiting for law school to start. Cicero's a good dude, even if he's on the young side. I would be frustrated trying to explain this too.
I agree, OP does not seem like he's being super arrogant and I think if you replace "Yale Law" with "My School" all of the hate goes out of the window.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:15 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

ph5354a wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Hah this is true. I don't give many fucks about these responses, it's just the difference between TLS and real-life interactions that catches me off guard sometimes. I forget there are people in real life that think certain schools are worth attending.
Haha even in the depths of the internet some people can be kind, thanks jbagel. ph543 hit it on the head. There is a huge difference between TLS interactions and real-life interactions. I swear to God I was nice and conversational with this guy. Had a long talk about his goals after law school and why he's going instead of using his music composition major. But the only part of the whole interaction that's relevant to TLS is the douchey part, so c'est la vie?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed May 29, 2013 7:16 pm

I just lost a lot of respect for Yale law right now

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed May 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Yeah, and according to my non-TLS roommate, Suffolk offers great clerkship opportunities. What's a well-meaning T14-er to do?

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:I just lost a lot of respect for Yale law right now
Will you get it back if I transfer to UCI?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Munson

New

Post by Munson » Wed May 29, 2013 7:21 pm

I'm sorry for jumping on you so harshly. At the risk of sounding like a boaster myself, I will tell you that I went to Yale for undergrad and did very well at a very good law school, though not Yale. It irks me to no end when students at top schools brag (or humblebrag) about their school. That kind of behavior hurts the school's reputation and embarrasses me as an alum.

But I understand you're excited about the school, as well you should be, and that you did not intend to throw Yale in his face. Just know that you will always face that perception if you gratuitously drop that information on people in settings that do not require it.

Apologies again for my harsh first message. Best of luck to you.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed May 29, 2013 7:22 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
No. but I sure as hell will get some major lulz

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 29, 2013 7:25 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
Dre's philosophy on lawl school is pretty simple. Follow USNWR to the letter, with two exceptions: 1) dock every private CA school a few points 2) every UC school is TTT

end of the day his perception of yale will not change according to the above criteria

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Munson wrote:I'm sorry for jumping on you so harshly. At the risk of sounding like a boaster myself, I will tell you that I went to Yale for undergrad and did very well at a very good law school, though not Yale. It irks me to no end when students at top schools brag (or humblebrag) about their school. That kind of behavior hurts the school's reputation and embarrasses me as an alum.

But I understand you're excited about the school, as well you should be, and that you did not intend to throw Yale in his face. Just know that you will always face that perception if you gratuitously drop that information on people in settings that do not require it.

Thanks. FWIW, you're completely right--the correct answer to what are you doing next year is always just "law school" unless pressed. I agree completely. But this is TLS, and I didn't think anything counted as boasting since A) it's the anonymous internet, wtf do I care about impressing people I'll never meet and B) half the people here have equal credentials so it's pretty passe anyway.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed May 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Munson wrote:I'm sorry for jumping on you so harshly. At the risk of sounding like a boaster myself, I will tell you that I went to Yale for undergrad and did very well at a very good law school, though not Yale. It irks me to no end when students at top schools brag (or humblebrag) about their school. That kind of behavior hurts the school's reputation and embarrasses me as an alum.

You went to Yale?!?! Oh, just for undergrad. Meh, no one cares.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed May 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Cicero76 wrote:

Thanks. FWIW, you're completely right--the correct answer to what are you doing next year is always just "law school" unless pressed. I agree completely. But this is TLS, and I didn't think anything counted as boasting since A) it's the anonymous internet, wtf do I care about impressing people I'll never meet and B) half the people here have equal credentials so it's pretty passe anyway.

Dude: the correct response is to not be a douche.

Hint: when someone says Yale is a "big"
school, don't argue about the class size. You knew what he meant.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Wed May 29, 2013 7:40 pm

rad lulz wrote:Who cares

You're not bros w this dude

And he didn't seem to ask for your advice

Just let him do what he wants
Everyone in this thread. Forums and article comments (and much of the rest of the internet) are dedicated to anonymous people correcting and yelling at other anonymous people. Welcome to the party.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed May 29, 2013 8:19 pm

This thread took quite an unexpected turn. Anyway, I congrat op on getting into Yale AND for his empathy towards this acquaintance. Please update us later (or if you don't want to relive this shitstorm, update me via pm).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”