How will LSAC interpret a Retake in when calculating my GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
all_8_up

How will LSAC interpret a Retake in when calculating my GPA?

Postby all_8_up » Wed May 29, 2013 5:22 am

Hi, I’ve searched through several forums but couldn’t find anything that dealt with my situation. The LSAC site says retaken courses will only count toward the LSDAS GPA if the school shows the original letter grade and the course units on the transcript.

My school only shows an R for a grade, but it also shows hours attempted (3.00) and hours earned (0.00). There is also a fourth column for quality points (0.00). Hours earned times grade converted to a 4.0 scale.

Does anyone have an idea on how my situation would factor in to my LSDAS GPA? Would the retake count/not count against it since there is only an R and no original grade, even though the transcript shows hours attempted and hours earned? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bombaysippin

Re: How will LSAC interpret a Retake in when calculating my GPA?

Postby bombaysippin » Wed May 29, 2013 10:48 am

all_8_up wrote:Hi, I’ve searched through several forums but couldn’t find anything that dealt with my situation. The LSAC site says retaken courses will only count toward the LSDAS GPA if the school shows the original letter grade and the course units on the transcript.

My school only shows an R for a grade, but it also shows hours attempted (3.00) and hours earned (0.00). There is also a fourth column for quality points (0.00). Hours earned times grade converted to a 4.0 scale.

Does anyone have an idea on how my situation would factor in to my LSDAS GPA? Would the retake count/not count against it since there is only an R and no original grade, even though the transcript shows hours attempted and hours earned? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your best bet might be to call LSAC and ask.

all_8_up

Postby all_8_up » Wed May 29, 2013 4:05 pm

I'm in the military and stationed in Korea so the time difference makes calling a bit of a hassle, but I just found that I can send them an email so Ill try that.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Wed May 29, 2013 4:39 pm

all_8_up wrote:I'm in the military and stationed in Korea so the time difference makes calling a bit of a hassle, but I just found that I can send them an email so Ill try that.

What exactly is your "R"?

If it's the equivalent of a Withdraw aka "W", then I believe it will get factored into the LSDAS GPA negatively like an F would.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 29, 2013 6:34 pm

all_8_up wrote:Hi, I’ve searched through several forums but couldn’t find anything that dealt with my situation. The LSAC site says retaken courses will only count toward the LSDAS GPA if the school shows the original letter grade and the course units on the transcript.

did you go to the Claremont Colleges?

all_8_up

Postby all_8_up » Wed May 29, 2013 7:28 pm

This is what the LSAC says as far as repeated courses and what will be excluded when calculating a LSDAS GPA:

“The original grade for a repeated course when the transcript does not show both the grade and the units for the original attempt. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant's academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation.”
As I mentioned my transcript does not show a letter grade, only an “R”. There is nothing that shows what my original grade in the class was. The transcript only shows the attempted credit hours and the hours earned, which is 0. So, what I’m trying to figure out is will LSAC look at the credits attempted/credits earned, see 0 for earned, and consider it failing even though there is no actual letter grade?

Bajam wrote:
all_8_up wrote:I'm in the military and stationed in Korea so the time difference makes calling a bit of a hassle, but I just found that I can send them an email so Ill try that.

If it's the equivalent of a Withdraw aka "W", then I believe it will get factored into the LSDAS GPA negatively like an F would.

As far as withdraws, what I got from LSAC is that they are excluded if they meet the following:

“Withdraw, Withdraw/Pass—only if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive”
From what I understand this means that having only a “W” (that is not punitive or failing) would not be counted in the LSDAS GPA, therefore it would not be considered failing and would have no impact either way to the overall GPA.

For withdrawals that are considered failing or punitive, the LSAC will exclude them if:

“Withdrawal grades that signify failure (such as WF=Withdraw/Fail, WU=Withdrew Unsatisfactory, WNP=Withdrew Not Passing) if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant's academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation.”

But I don’t have anything that fits this description, unless my “R” would be looked at as an unsat, but my school (or at least the transcript) doesn’t say it’s punitive or not. I would hope that it’s looked at as non-punitive.

jbagelboy:
No I didn’t attend Claremont Colleges. Do they do something similar on their transcripts?

ryanfaro

Postby ryanfaro » Thu May 30, 2013 7:10 pm

all_8_up wrote:This is what the LSAC says as far as repeated courses and what will be excluded when calculating a LSDAS GPA:

“The original grade for a repeated course when the transcript does not show both the grade and the units for the original attempt. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant's academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation.”
As I mentioned my transcript does not show a letter grade, only an “R”. There is nothing that shows what my original grade in the class was. The transcript only shows the attempted credit hours and the hours earned, which is 0. So, what I’m trying to figure out is will LSAC look at the credits attempted/credits earned, see 0 for earned, and consider it failing even though there is no actual letter grade?

Bajam wrote:

As far as withdraws, what I got from LSAC is that they are excluded if they meet the following:

“Withdraw, Withdraw/Pass—only if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive”
From what I understand this means that having only a “W” (that is not punitive or failing) would not be counted in the LSDAS GPA, therefore it would not be considered failing and would have no impact either way to the overall GPA.

For withdrawals that are considered failing or punitive, the LSAC will exclude them if:

“Withdrawal grades that signify failure (such as WF=Withdraw/Fail, WU=Withdrew Unsatisfactory, WNP=Withdrew Not Passing) if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant's academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation.”

But I don’t have anything that fits this description, unless my “R” would be looked at as an unsat, but my school (or at least the transcript) doesn’t say it’s punitive or not. I would hope that it’s looked at as non-punitive.

jbagelboy:
No I didn’t attend Claremont Colleges. Do they do something similar on their transcripts?

Here you go buddy, I hope this helps.

http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/publi ... public.asp

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”