Applying in a strange(but good?) situation.. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlexVee

New

Applying in a strange(but good?) situation..

Post by AlexVee » Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 pm

Hey all,

I'm graduating in the C/O 2015, and I'm slightly worried that the way in which I'm applying might seem suspect to the admissions committees.

I came into my UG with a good amount of credit from my high school AP courses, enough to help me potentially graduate an entire year early. Instead of exploiting that opportunity, I opted to take a lesser load my first two semesters of college, and am now on the tract to graduate a semester early.

Instead of taking a semester off my senior year, as generally expected, I am taking my spring semester off my junior year and utilizing the time between January and June to study for the June LSAT, without any concern other than the test, and then head back to my undergrad for a full senior year.

Is this plan acceptable?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Re: Applying in a strange(but good?) situation..

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:14 pm

AlexVee wrote:Hey all,

I'm graduating in the C/O 2015, and I'm slightly worried that the way in which I'm applying might seem suspect to the admissions committees.

I came into my UG with a good amount of credit from my high school AP courses, enough to help me potentially graduate an entire year early. Instead of exploiting that opportunity, I opted to take a lesser load my first two semesters of college, and am now on the tract to graduate a semester early.

Instead of taking a semester off my senior year, as generally expected, I am taking my spring semester off my junior year and utilizing the time between January and June to study for the June LSAT, without any concern other than the test, and then head back to my undergrad for a full senior year.

Is this plan acceptable?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!
Some law school applications ask if there has been a break in your undergraduate education and if there is you need to explain why. I think it might be a bit awkward to explain that you took six months off to do nothing but study for the LSAT, so perhaps get a light, part-time job during that time, too or volunteer a couple hours a week at the local humane society. It'll help you get some extra spending money, anyway, and let's you say that you did something besides study for the LSAT. Though I really doubt schools would care either way...

Sounds like a plan, good luck on the LSAT!

AlexVee

New

Post by AlexVee » Tue May 28, 2013 7:23 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:

Some law school applications ask if there has been a break in your undergraduate education and if there is you need to explain why. I think it might be a bit awkward to explain that you took six months off to do nothing but study for the LSAT, so perhaps get a light, part-time job during that time, too or volunteer a couple hours a week at the local humane society. It'll help you get some extra spending money, anyway, and let's you say that you did something besides study for the LSAT. Though I really doubt schools would care either way...

Sounds like a plan, good luck on the LSAT!

I appreciate the feedback. I'm definitely planning on working throughout those 6-months because I'll be staying at home.

Thanks!

justcallmeit

New

Post by justcallmeit » Tue May 28, 2013 7:39 pm

I was in virtually the same situation, and did virtually the same thing. When some apps asked about the break, I wrote, honestly, that, due to college classes taken before college, I was ahead on credits and used one term (three-ish months) to focus on employment and LSAT preparation. Just underscore the fact that you're an overachiever and you'll be fine.

AlexVee

New

Post by AlexVee » Tue May 28, 2013 7:46 pm

justcallmeit wrote:I was in virtually the same situation, and did virtually the same thing. When some apps asked about the break, I wrote, honestly, that, due to college classes taken before college, I was ahead on credits and used one term (three-ish months) to focus on employment and LSAT preparation. Just underscore the fact that you're an overachiever and you'll be fine.
Awesome to hear, and will do. Like I said, I plan on working throughout that time-period, but I will note my situation in my apps.

Appreciate it!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”