GPA Fluctuation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
seawulf

GPA Fluctuation

Postby seawulf » Tue May 28, 2013 8:35 am

Hi all,

I was hoping I could get some feedback on my current situation. During my first semester of freshman year, I ended up with a 2.68 mainly due to a personal situation. However, during my three subsequent semesters I had a 4.0, 3.9, and then a 4.0 again. I attend a pretty decent national college, ranked just outside the top 30. After these four semesters, I'm up to a 3.65 cum, and if I get a 4.0 in my junior year I'll have a 3.77 cum. Now, I'm hoping not to sound presumptuous or anything, but would law schools view this gpa a little differently than a normal 3.77 because, outside of the first semester, I would have had around a 3.97 cum? I'm hoping to do well on the lsat and I'm trying to shoot for the very top (outside of Yale and Stanford.) Any feedback would be be very much appreciated. Thank you!
Last edited by seawulf on Tue May 28, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

North

Re: GPA Fluctuation

Postby North » Tue May 28, 2013 8:58 am

seawulf wrote:Hi all,

I was hoping I could get some feedback on my current situation. During my first semester of freshman year, I ended up with a 2.68 mainly due to a personal situation. However, during my three subsequent semesters I had a 4.0, 3.9, and then a 4.0 again. I attend a pretty decent national college, ranked just outside the top 30. After these four semesters, I'm up to a 3.65 cum, and if I get a 4.0 in my junior year I'll have a 3.77 cum. Now, I'm hoping not to sound presumptuous or anything, but would law schools view this gpa a little differently than a normal 3.77 because, outside of the first semester, I would have had around a 3.97 cum? I'm hoping to do well on the lsat, as I had a 2210 on the SAT without studying, and I'm trying to shoot for the very top (outside of Yale and Stanford.) Any feedback would be be very much appreciated. Thank you!

No.

Ave

Postby Ave » Tue May 28, 2013 9:04 am

If it was some serious personal issues, write an addendum although I doubt (with all the GPA/LSAT addenda they receive) it will make much difference

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:49 am

You'll be fine. It you score high enough on the LSAT you shouldn't have a problem getting into plenty of T14 schools. HYS would even be possible but you would need a really high LSAT. In my opinion, you would be seen more favorably than someone who finished each semester with ~3.77 for the semester. Law schools often say they look at trends and factor that in, since it is quite common for students to do poorly at the beginning and then improve, and if you describe the circumstances surrounding your first semester that would certainly help. They still won't consider you a 3.97 applicant, but you would probably be one of the most favorable applicants with a 3.77 GPA (all other factors being equal) due to the trend.

seawulf

Postby seawulf » Tue May 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Thanks guys for your responses! Once again, any feedback is very much appreciated. I think that if I get a high enough lsat, I may be able to squeak into Columbia or Chicago, but I'm not sure how high that lsat score would have to be. At this point, though, I may be locked out of HYS. Agree/disagree? Thoughts?

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:59 pm

seawulf wrote:Thanks guys for your responses! Once again, any feedback is very much appreciated. I think that if I get a high enough lsat, I may be able to squeak into Columbia or Chicago, but I'm not sure how high that lsat score would have to be. At this point, though, I may be locked out of HYS. Agree/disagree? Thoughts?

I think HYS is entirely possible for you, but once again, that depends on your LSAT and to a lesser extent on your softs. The 25th percentile for Harvard is 3.77, for Stanford it's 3.76, and Yale it's 3.84. So even if you apply with a 3.77, 25% of the Harvard and Stanford admits have GPAs at or below you, and even Yale likely accepts some students with GPAs below 3.76. If you get a 180 LSAT, for example, I think you would likely get accepted to any of those schools, a 173-176 gives you a decent chance, but a 165 will give you little to no chance. It'll come down to your LSAT. Good luck!!

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:15 pm

One more thing, no matter what people say, don't consider yourself "locked out" of HYS just yet. You can definitely still get accepted to any of those and really any law school in the country at this point. Use that as motivation to work your butt off and dominate the LSAT. The only thing that can really "lock you out" of those schools is your LSAT score, so study hard, score in the mid to upper 170s, and get your acceptance letter :)

seawulf

Postby seawulf » Tue May 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Haha i definitely will! Although I'm thinking I will need some really good softs at this point... trying to decide whether I should intern during this year to build up my softs, or just spend my time focusing on the 4.0 and the lsat.

North

Postby North » Tue May 28, 2013 6:35 pm

seawulf wrote:Haha i definitely will! Although I'm thinking I will need some really good softs at this point... trying to decide whether I should intern during this year to build up my softs, or just spend my time focusing on the 4.0 and the lsat.

Do the 4.0 and LSAT. AdComms Will not care at all about your unpaid UG internship. They will care about a 3.9 and 170+. You'll thank us later. Don't fall for the holistic evaluation bullshit.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue May 28, 2013 7:15 pm

North wrote:
seawulf wrote:Haha i definitely will! Although I'm thinking I will need some really good softs at this point... trying to decide whether I should intern during this year to build up my softs, or just spend my time focusing on the 4.0 and the lsat.

Do the 4.0 and LSAT. AdComms Will not care at all about your unpaid UG internship. They will care about a 3.9 and 170+. You'll thank us later. Don't fall for the holistic evaluation bullshit.

North is right but he's exaggerating. Especially if you're gunning for HYS you have to have decent soft factors. You should be spending a minimal amount of time getting resume fillers in the form of internships etc. People without softs DO underperform their numbers, so don't get overly caught up in the TLS obsession with #s.

seawulf

Postby seawulf » Tue May 28, 2013 7:41 pm

Good point. I was actually wondering about that in terms of softs: will interning and working exclusively during the summer, and then shifting mostly to schoolwork and extracurriculars during the school year, be viewed at negatively by the top schools? I'm in Manhattan for school right now, so I'm guessing that if I search high and for low for an internship I'll eventually be able to find one, and I'm worried that since I'm in the city i'll be expected to have internships during the school year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”