Doing JD in 2 years.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
itachiuchiha

Doing JD in 2 years.

Postby itachiuchiha » Mon May 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Is it possible to do a JD in 2 years instead of 3? I am not talking about an accelerated program, I am talking about taking summer classes to get things done faster or some other options.

I just want to see what options there are for getting done quicker. I know that things like spring starts exist, but what else is there that can help you get done quicker? The way I see it, the less time between taking a class and having the information still in your brain and taking the bar exam, the better.

rinkrat19

Re: Doing JD in 2 years.

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:21 pm

You can take summer classes during a regular 3-year JD program, but AFAIK you can't just finish it whenever.

There's, what, one respectable spring start (Michigan) and one respectable 2-year AJD (Northwestern) and aside from that, the ABA doesn't allow a lot of fucking around with the progression of the degree.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Mon May 27, 2013 5:24 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:You can take summer classes during a regular 3-year JD program, but AFAIK you can't just finish it whenever.

There's, what, one respectable spring start (Michigan) and one respectable 2-year AJD (Northwestern) and aside from that, the ABA doesn't allow a lot of fucking around with the progression of the degree.

oh, haha I don't know why but I was under the impression that it was similar to undergrad where summer classes can be taken to end earlier

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:35 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:You can take summer classes during a regular 3-year JD program, but AFAIK you can't just finish it whenever.

oh, haha I don't know why but I was under the impression that it was similar to undergrad where summer classes can be taken to end earlier

I've never heard of anyone finishing early without being in one of the formal early/accelerated programs. Not sure it's technically against any ABA rules, but I bet the schools won't do it. For one thing, they lose tuition money.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon May 27, 2013 5:48 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:

I've never heard of anyone finishing early without being in one of the formal early/accelerated programs. Not sure it's technically against any ABA rules, but I bet the schools won't do it. For one thing, they lose tuition money.

At OSU, it's possible to graduate one semester early, but only if you take classes both summers. Probably only worth it in unique circumstances.

guano

Postby guano » Mon May 27, 2013 6:20 pm

It's possible to finish at any school in 2 1/2 years if you take full loads each summer.
Thing is, most schollies don't cover summer classes, so it'd be expensive as fick

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:28 pm

guano wrote:It's possible to finish at any school in 2 1/2 years if you take full loads each summer.
Thing is, most schollies don't cover summer classes, so it'd be expensive as fick

Northwestern summer tuition is free.

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
guano wrote:It's possible to finish at any school in 2 1/2 years if you take full loads each summer.

Northwestern summer tuition is free.

But they also make you pay for the last semester even if you aren't taking classes.

@OP.

There is an ABA rule that prevents graduating before two full calendar years. This is why Northwestern's AJD program starts in May. You do May X til May X+2.

So it seems like you are probably stuck there for 2.5 years.

Also I'm not sure why you don't wanna do an accelerated program, that's exactly what you are trying to do.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon May 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Yeah, at my school each year probably ~5 people would graduate in December. But one of the biggest problems with taking enough courses over the summer to graduate early is that it makes it more difficult to get actual legal jobs during those summers, so then you have a degree but no legal experience and that's not so great for getting a permanent job. (I'm sure some people manage it, but I don't think it's worth saving one semester of tuition.)

Besides, it really doesn't make a difference for the bar exam. Your prep course will re-teach you everything you need to know.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon May 27, 2013 7:21 pm

But if you do 2.5 years you can take two bars exams, start work early, and save money on tuition. At CU it's possible to do it but I think you probably have to give up a chunk of time during both summers. They say you can do it with only one summer of classes but that seems like it would be pushing it.

guano

Postby guano » Mon May 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:But if you do 2.5 years you can take two bars exams, start work early, and save money on tuition. At CU it's possible to do it but I think you probably have to give up a chunk of time during both summers. They say you can do it with only one summer of classes but that seems like it would be pushing it.

Except that legal hiring is streamlined toward summer graduates, and a lot of employers won't hire you if you graduate in December, or will make you wait 6 montgs

Legen..waitforit

Postby Legen..waitforit » Tue May 28, 2013 2:30 am

edited

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:58 pm

Sounds like quite the opportunity if you have a job already lined up before law school (such as if you have family/connections who will hire you or your company has promised to hire you back once you get your JD, in which case your goal is to get your degree as fast as possible and have no need for extra work experience) - but without your summer associate positions, how marketable are you going to be? From everything I've seen/heard, what you learn in law school has no application to what you actually do as a lawyer (as it's usually pure theory and why you also have to spend so long studying for the bar itself after law school) - it's from your SA work that you turn the theory into practice.

Who's more hireable (assuming both are true), a Northwestern JD with no summer associate experience or a GWU graduate who (assume he was top of his class and had a ton of luck and so therefore did well in OCI despite his school rank) did his 1L Summer at the US Attorney and 2L Summer at White & Case?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 28, 2013 10:10 pm

KingofSplitters55 wrote:Sounds like quite the opportunity if you have a job already lined up before law school (such as if you have family/connections who will hire you or your company has promised to hire you back once you get your JD, in which case your goal is to get your degree as fast as possible and have no need for extra work experience) - but without your summer associate positions, how marketable are you going to be? From everything I've seen/heard, what you learn in law school has no application to what you actually do as a lawyer (as it's usually pure theory and why you also have to spend so long studying for the bar itself after law school) - it's from your SA work that you turn the theory into practice.

Who's more hireable (assuming both are true), a Northwestern JD with no summer associate experience or a GWU graduate who (assume he was top of his class and had a ton of luck and so therefore did well in OCI despite his school rank) did his 1L Summer at the US Attorney and 2L Summer at White & Case?

The NU 2-year JD isn't the best comparison, because generally the students hired into that program have significant pre-LS work experience, which helps make them desirable candidates. They also work one summer.

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Tue May 28, 2013 11:18 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
KingofSplitters55 wrote:Sounds like quite the opportunity if you have a job already lined up before law school (such as if you have family/connections who will hire you or your company has promised to hire you back once you get your JD, in which case your goal is to get your degree as fast as possible and have no need for extra work experience) - but without your summer associate positions, how marketable are you going to be? From everything I've seen/heard, what you learn in law school has no application to what you actually do as a lawyer (as it's usually pure theory and why you also have to spend so long studying for the bar itself after law school) - it's from your SA work that you turn the theory into practice.

The NU 2-year JD isn't the best comparison, because generally the students hired into that program have significant pre-LS work experience, which helps make them desirable candidates. They also work one summer.

My mistake, that makes a lot more sense.

LOL Skool

Postby LOL Skool » Wed May 29, 2013 11:14 pm

Finishing a JD in 2 years seems to be a growing trend but I personally would not do it. I think you would be better off spending time and building a network in the area you want to work (assuming that is where you went to law school). Also, you would be missing out on the opportunity to make money over the summer at a firm/building your resume.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”