Multiple LSAT Scores and Early Decision Questions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

ED?

CU
25%
NYU
8%
Don't ED
67%

Total votes: 12

Harry Belafonte

New

Multiple LSAT Scores and Early Decision Questions

Post by Harry Belafonte » Mon May 27, 2013 1:53 pm

I've heard and read conflicting things regarding this, so I'm hoping that TLS could help me put together a game plan for my applications this coming cycle. I'd really appreciate any help and insight.

My goal would be to attend NYU or Columbia, but I'm not really sure what to do when I apply this coming cycle. I am at the medians for NYU but they average lsat scores in most cases, which I believe would destroy my chances there. Would applying ED at NYU be a waste? I was slightly ill when I received the lower score, and I doubt writing an addendum stating this is a good idea. I know Columbia looks at LSAT scores with a 'holistic' approach but I'm not really sure what this would mean for me. Would it be more appropriate to apply Early Decision at Columbia because of that?

Sorry for the long post and if you read this far down, thank you.
Last edited by Harry Belafonte on Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyler90az

New

Re: Multiple LSAT Scores and Early Decision Questions

Post by tyler90az » Mon May 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Harry Belafonte wrote:move abroad and have to feed myself.
Thinking about starting a Ponzi Scheme? :lol:

Harry Belafonte

New

Post by Harry Belafonte » Tue May 28, 2013 10:03 am

tyler90az wrote:
Harry Belafonte wrote:move abroad and have to feed myself.
Thinking about starting a Ponzi Scheme? :lol:
you never know

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue May 28, 2013 10:50 am

If you have a 171, NYU. If you have a 172, which school you'd prefer. If I were you, given the PI possibility, NYU.

Harry Belafonte

New

Post by Harry Belafonte » Tue May 28, 2013 11:21 am

sinfiery wrote:If you have a 171, NYU. If you have a 172, which school you'd prefer. If I were you, given the PI possibility, NYU.
You're right. I'm leaning towards NYU, but I'm not sure how I should approach my application to avoid having them average my scores. If they average, I'm pretty sure I'd be out of the running at NYU and wasting my one ED choice. :?

Thanks for the help :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue May 28, 2013 12:50 pm

Do you have a 171 or 172? It's very important...

Honestly, if I were you, I would not ED and apply early to the full t14
NYU is a lock.
http://www.mylsn.info/v6setu

Although some recent evidence points to NYU caring more about multiple LSATs than the rest of the t14, it shouldn't be a major concern for you.

seawulf

New

Post by seawulf » Tue May 28, 2013 12:53 pm

Personally, I think that ED is a one way route to getting screwed in terms of aid/scholarships. My undergraduate admissions process taught me this.

Harry Belafonte

New

Post by Harry Belafonte » Tue May 28, 2013 1:24 pm

sinfiery wrote:Do you have a 171 or 172? It's very important...

NYU is a lock.

Although some recent evidence points to NYU caring more about multiple LSATs than the rest of the t14, it shouldn't be a major concern for you.
It's a 171, so I'm not sure how much of a lock NYU will be. I'm reluctant to rely on mylsn.info data because I have two scores which could change things a lot for NYU.

I will be sending out apps as soon as they are available. I really would like to avoid leaving NYC, which means I need to lock up either NYU or CLS. But I know my application is gonna have to punch above its weight to make that happen, especially with the two scores.

Should I bother EDing at NYU and submit an addendum saying I was ill when I got the first score so they may give more weight to the higher score? Or do you think my two scores will fair better with CLS's "holistic" approach and just ED there?

Also, I really appreciate the help sinfiery. Thanks :)

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue May 28, 2013 1:42 pm

Harry Belafonte wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Do you have a 171 or 172? It's very important...

NYU is a lock.

It's a 171, so I'm not sure how much of a lock NYU will be. I'm reluctant to rely on mylsn.info data because I have two scores which could change things a lot for NYU.

I will be sending out apps as soon as they are available. I really would like to avoid leaving NYC, which means I need to lock up either NYU or CLS. But I know my application is gonna have to punch above its weight to make that happen, especially with the two scores.

Should I bother EDing at NYU and submit an addendum saying I was ill when I got the first score so they may give more weight to the higher score? Or do you think my two scores will fair better with CLS's "holistic" approach and just ED there?

Also, I really appreciate the help sinfiery. Thanks :)
Putting numbers into mylsn, ED doesn't seem to give you much of a boost for NYU (which is counterintuitive since RD you have a great shot at NYU). I think you should just take your chances and apply RD to both.

Anecdotal comment: FWIW I have a higher LSAT and a lower GPA and I got waitlisted at NYU (applied ED) and straight out accepted at CLS, so from my experience NYU may consider multiple LSAT scores (I had a 170 before a retake) and CLS may actually evaluate applications holistically!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Harry Belafonte

New

Post by Harry Belafonte » Tue May 28, 2013 3:57 pm

francesfarmer wrote: Putting numbers into mylsn, ED doesn't seem to give you much of a boost for NYU (which is counterintuitive since RD you have a great shot at NYU). I think you should just take your chances and apply RD to both.

Anecdotal comment: FWIW I have a higher LSAT and a lower GPA and I got waitlisted at NYU (applied ED) and straight out accepted at CLS, so from my experience NYU may consider multiple LSAT scores (I had a 170 before a retake) and CLS may actually evaluate applications holistically!
Wow! Congrats on getting into CLS.

I'm reluctant to RD at both because I really need at least one of them :cry: Your anecdotal story makes me think I should ED at CLS because of the multiple scores.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue May 28, 2013 4:03 pm

Harry Belafonte wrote:
I'm reluctant to RD at both because I really need at least one of them :cry: Your anecdotal story makes me think I should ED at CLS because of the multiple scores.
mylsn says you've got a 70% chance at NYU without ED. Are you dead set on not leaving the city? I mean, I didn't want to leave the city either, but you could get $$ from a lower T-14 and come back to work here after a 3 year break.

Harry Belafonte

New

Post by Harry Belafonte » Tue May 28, 2013 4:42 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
Harry Belafonte wrote:
mylsn says you've got a 70% chance at NYU without ED. Are you dead set on not leaving the city? I mean, I didn't want to leave the city either, but you could get $$ from a lower T-14 and come back to work here after a 3 year break.
I know it looks good on mylsn, but I know that data shows results for people with mainly one score

And I'm absolutely set on not leaving. I've got people and responsibilities that anchor me here.

Thanks for the help BTW

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Tue May 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Why not Cornell? Its an IVY (if prestige is your thing), its an excellent law school, its in "NY" and with your grades you stand a chance at a nice scholarship, its not the same level as columbia and NYU, but its a t-14, and since your desire is to stay in NY, median at cornell would give you pretty decent NY options. Additionally cornell has an EA admission, which allows you to find out very fast if you got in, but it doesnt bind you. That way you can use Cornell (ea) and nyu/columbia (ed) if youre unhappy with what cornell offers you.
Another way you can play it out, is EA to cornell and RD to nyu and columbia, potentially using those acceptances (you should get at least one) for more money at cornell (if you do this, id reccomend applying through the t-14's for maximum negotiation potential)

You really cant go wrong here, best of luck!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue May 28, 2013 4:58 pm

Harry Belafonte wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
Harry Belafonte wrote:
I know it looks good on mylsn, but I know that data shows results for people with mainly one score

And I'm absolutely set on not leaving. I've got people and responsibilities that anchor me here.

Thanks for the help BTW
Maybe explore LSN to see how people with multiple scores fared at NYU. Or check the NYU threads. Maybe they just didn't like my application for another reason!

Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”