Am I going to Lose my Scholarship? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WorriedGUY

New

Am I going to Lose my Scholarship?

Post by WorriedGUY » Thu May 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi everyone, currently I'm deciding which law school I'd like to attend. I've been accepted to several and also received several merit based scholarships. However, my final semester at undergrad I did really poorly.....2 F's, a D, and a D+....yeah. I've yet to submit my final degree-bearing transcript to any of these schools and I was wondering if they're likely to revoke my scholarship based on my final semester grades. I'm really worried about this as without a scholarship my ability to attend law school would be seriously impeded. What does everyone think?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Am I going to Lose my Scholarship?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Why don't you ask the schools in question? They can give you an actual answer, and people here will be guessing. I get that you probably don't want to let them in on your bad final semester, but at some point you will have to submit your degree-bearing transcript, and they will find out. It's not like you'll be able to hide it. So if they are going to revoke your scholarship, you will know sooner rather than later, which is usually a good thing.

muskies970

Bronze

Post by muskies970 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:23 pm

What did your GPA go from?

2013applicant

New

Post by 2013applicant » Thu May 23, 2013 4:23 pm

I think it is a safe bet that all of the law schools you are contemplating are not worth attending.

WorriedGUY

New

Post by WorriedGUY » Thu May 23, 2013 4:25 pm

muskies970 wrote:What did your GPA go from?
My GPA is still around a 3.2 and my GPA in my major is even higher. It wasn't effected at all by my final semester grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu May 23, 2013 4:41 pm

WorriedGUY wrote:
My GPA is still around a 3.2 and my GPA in my major is even higher. It wasn't effected at all by my final semester grades.
How is that possible?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Thu May 23, 2013 4:42 pm

2013applicant wrote:I think it is a safe bet that all of the law schools you are contemplating are not worth attending.

supernma

New

Post by supernma » Thu May 23, 2013 4:44 pm

2013applicant wrote:I think it is a safe bet that all of the law schools you are contemplating are not worth attending.
This.

NoWorries

New

Post by NoWorries » Thu May 23, 2013 4:53 pm

How is it even possible to do that bad? Did you not turn in assignments or something?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

muskies970

Bronze

Post by muskies970 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:10 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
WorriedGUY wrote:
How is that possible?
I'm assuming OP meant that the major GPA wasn't affected.

After doing the math I'm guessing you had ~3.5 before? It would probably depend on the school then and their medians. Best bet is to call and let them know asap with good reason explaining what happened.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Thu May 23, 2013 9:58 pm

+1. Having senioritis is (somewhat) understandable, OP, but you literally failed two classes ? And got a couple D's? If I were an AdComm member, I would think twice before admitting a student who performed as poorly as you did.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri May 24, 2013 11:10 am

Yea, normally your grades don't matter as long as you don't tank it, and they won't revoke scholarships acceptances unless something really bad happens. Something really bad happened here, so you should get in touch with those schools ASAP and let them know, see what the effects are.

andres

New

Post by andres » Fri May 24, 2013 11:16 am

short answer--Probably

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Fri May 24, 2013 11:26 am

To give you some hope - I got straight C's my last semester of undergrad. It didn't affect any of my existing scholly offers, and I got quite a few more afterwards (including a last-minute 3/4 ride to the school I actually attended).

At the very least, I'd advise against bringing your new grades to anyone's attention. Just lay low, and it might go unnoticed.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Fri May 24, 2013 6:58 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:To give you some hope - I got straight C's my last semester of undergrad. It didn't affect any of my existing scholly offers, and I got quite a few more afterwards (including a last-minute 3/4 ride to the school I actually attended).

At the very least, I'd advise against bringing your new grades to anyone's attention. Just lay low, and it might go unnoticed.
Unlike your situation though, OP failed courses. (i assume he didn't need those courses to graduate. If he did, he's got a lot more problems to deal with)

OP what rank-ish school are you going to?

StarJammer

New

Post by StarJammer » Sat May 25, 2013 4:12 am

NoWorries wrote:How is it even possible to do that bad? Did you not turn in assignments or something?
Curious to know the answer to this. Were you ill or something?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mehiguess

Bronze

Post by mehiguess » Sat May 25, 2013 8:45 am

Ask a lawyer to advise you of your options. Have them review your scholly offer. Or call the school under an alias and give them a hypothetical regarding your situation. Do 1,000 things except what you've done...which is nothing evidently.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Sat May 25, 2013 11:41 am

mehiguess wrote:Ask a lawyer to advise you of your options. Have them review your scholly offer. Or call the school under an alias and give them a hypothetical regarding your situation. Do 1,000 things except what you've done...which is nothing evidently.

I would not call the school, period. I wouldn't do anything else that could bring the matter to the adcom's attention. Calling a lawyer is probably also a waste of time - if the school revokes, there is likely nothing you can do....and even if there is, it's probably incredibly uneconomical in terms or time and $$ to pursue.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post removed...

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sat May 25, 2013 12:33 pm

Post removed...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”