Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
moshei24

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:I'm mighty impressed. The cheapest I ever spent a month in St. Louis on rent + utilities + food was maaaaybe $1000 during 1L finals period or something ($500 rent + $100 utilities + $200 groceries + $200 on drinks and dining out, including my campus card). I should move to NYC, sounds like its more reasonable there.

100 utilities? We already see a problem. It's half that here and like I said, I live here. I know the costs. If I go higher, then I made the choice to. Your sarcasm is not appreciated.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 23, 2013 2:56 pm

Tbf to OP, I said 150k pre interest. I said that before knowing OP was getting outside assistance and living in a cheaper apartment than I lived in when I lived in a shady neighborhood of St. Louis. I made the "scarily inaccurate" mistake of assuming he was living like a normal person and looking at 20-25k for COL.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu May 23, 2013 2:59 pm

moshei24 wrote:
muskies970 wrote:
moshei24 wrote:
Brooklyn offered me 45K a year with frozen tuition. Fordham offered me 25K a year without frozen tuition. Both condition are easily maintainable, so I'm not even taking that into consideration.

Just for shits and giggles, can you tell us the conditions for both schools? It may not be as easily maintainable as you suspect.

BTW don't be a dick when others are trying to give you practical advice and you happen to be a special snowflake who is smart enough to live off of under 800 a month in NYC but made the mistake of applying SUPER late to the most important decision of your life and are left with the shittiest of options possible.

Good standing and top 80% of class.

Also, I live here so I'm not sure why you're arguing with me about cost. Mistake? That was things panned out with everything. Things didn't go exactly how I planned. It happens.
And I dislike when people try to tell me what's facts about NYC when I'm the one who lives here. 900/month is very doable unless you plan on constantly splurging.

And most people who's family lives in NYC go home on weekends. Who on this thread actually lives in NYC? Because I feel like in wasting my time arguing with people who are from out of town.

Thank you everyone for your input and have a wonderful day. I gotta go. :)

Have you ever actually lived on your own? I ask this because I have actually lived on $1200 a month before and it's not easy, even when your rent is $500 (J train what up!) and your social life consists of drinking $2 40s on your couch. Are your parents going to pay your cell phone bill? Who's going to buy your toilet paper, socks, pots and pans, pens? Who's going to pay your electric bill when your roommate runs the goddam space heater all night long all winter and refuses to renegotiate the 50/50 utility split? What about when they raise the price of a metrocard again? Not to mention the fact that gentrification is making affordable housing in reasonable neighborhoods harder and harder to find. I've been priced out of every neighborhood I've ever lived in here, and I'm talking Bushwick and Bed-Stuy. If your parents are willing to support you at least partially, good for you, but there is a lot more to living on your own than you think.

ETA: Washington Heights is fine but it's not great and it's not as cheap as you think it is. I'm on Craigslist right now looking at places.
Last edited by francesfarmer on Thu May 23, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:Tbf to OP, I said 150k pre interest. I said that before knowing OP was getting outside assistance and living in a cheaper apartment than I lived in when I lived in a shady neighborhood of St. Louis. I made the "scarily inaccurate" mistake of assuming he was living like a normal person and looking at 20-25k for COL.

I forgive you, even if he doesn't.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:Tbf to OP, I said 150k pre interest. I said that before knowing OP was getting outside assistance and living in a cheaper apartment than I lived in when I lived in a shady neighborhood of St. Louis. I made the "scarily inaccurate" mistake of assuming he was living like a normal person and looking at 20-25k for COL.

Come visit me. You'll see how normal my living is. You just need to be cost conscious. My area is nice. Good food, and plenty of people I know from school. Come visit Amsterdam and 185 in the city and you'll see how nice it actually is.

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:00 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
moshei24 wrote:
muskies970 wrote:
moshei24 wrote:
Brooklyn offered me 45K a year with frozen tuition. Fordham offered me 25K a year without frozen tuition. Both condition are easily maintainable, so I'm not even taking that into consideration.

Just for shits and giggles, can you tell us the conditions for both schools? It may not be as easily maintainable as you suspect.

BTW don't be a dick when others are trying to give you practical advice and you happen to be a special snowflake who is smart enough to live off of under 800 a month in NYC but made the mistake of applying SUPER late to the most important decision of your life and are left with the shittiest of options possible.

Good standing and top 80% of class.

Also, I live here so I'm not sure why you're arguing with me about cost. Mistake? That was things panned out with everything. Things didn't go exactly how I planned. It happens.
And I dislike when people try to tell me what's facts about NYC when I'm the one who lives here. 900/month is very doable unless you plan on constantly splurging.

And most people who's family lives in NYC go home on weekends. Who on this thread actually lives in NYC? Because I feel like in wasting my time arguing with people who are from out of town.

Thank you everyone for your input and have a wonderful day. I gotta go. :)

Have you ever actually lived on your own? I ask this because I have actually lived on $1200 a month before and it's not easy, even when your rent is $500 (J train what up!) and your social life consists of drinking $2 40s on your couch. Are your parents going to pay your cell phone bill? Who's going to buy your toilet paper, socks, pots and pans, pens? Who's going to pay your electric bill when your roommate runs the goddam space heater all night long all winter and refuses to renegotiate the 50/50 utility split? What about when they raise the price of a metrocard again? Not to mention the fact that gentrification is making affordable housing in reasonable neighborhoods harder and harder to find. I've been priced out of every neighborhood I've ever lived in here, and I'm talking Bushwick and Bed-Stuy. If your parents are willing to support you at least partially, good for you, but there is a lot more to living on your own than you think.

Get outta here with your logic! We've already discerned OP is a special snowflake.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:04 pm

Most of that is already going to be in the apartment. Pots and pans are likely there if I take over someone's lease. My parents pay for my phone, and they will be helping me a little bit, but trust me, I've been able to budget my money very based on what I have over the years.

And I am a special snowflake. ^_^ I don't see how you managed to need $700 over your lease if you were trying to live cheaply...

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu May 23, 2013 3:08 pm

moshei24 wrote:Most of that is already going to be in the apartment. Pots and pans are likely there if I take over someone's lease. My parents pay for my phone, and they will be helping me a little bit, but trust me, I've been able to budget my money very based on what I have over the years.

And I am a special snowflake. ^_^ I don't see how you managed to need $700 over your lease if you were trying to live cheaply...

What if your roommate doesn't want you to use their pots and pans? Stranger things have happened.

ETA: $1200 a month is a horribly scary amount of money to live on when you have no safety net and nowhere to live if you lose your job! But you wouldn't know anything about that :)

You're such a special snowflake, have fun at Fordham for $150k!

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:10 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
moshei24 wrote:Most of that is already going to be in the apartment. Pots and pans are likely there if I take over someone's lease. My parents pay for my phone, and they will be helping me a little bit, but trust me, I've been able to budget my money very based on what I have over the years.

What if your roommate doesn't want you to use their pots and pans? Stranger things have happened.

Oh right, lets think about the rare situation. Didn't realize there such negativity on this forum. Be positive and smile, guys. :)

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu May 23, 2013 3:12 pm

moshei24 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

Oh right, lets think about the rare situation. Didn't realize there such negativity on this forum. Be positive and smile, guys. :)

You are such a ray of sunshine. How do you do it? Please teach me how to be a special snowflake.

Postby 20141023 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:13 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:15 pm

moshei24 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

It's a forum where people are asking for help making perhaps the biggest decision of their life involving hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and upwards of millions of dollars in loans/ career possibilities over a lifetime... not to mention immediate quality of life and happiness.

So when people try to give their best advice using the relevant data and you respond in an arrogant and unappreciative way, it really isn't the time for smiling.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu May 23, 2013 3:16 pm

muskies970 wrote:
moshei24 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

It's a forum where people are asking for help making perhaps the biggest decision of their life involving hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and upwards of millions of dollars in loans/ career possibilities over a lifetime... not to mention immediate quality of life and happiness.

So when people try to give their best advice using the relevant data and you respond in an arrogant and unappreciative way, it really isn't the time for smiling.

TLS = SRS BSNS

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:24 pm

...Image

tony2167

Postby tony2167 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Brooklyn is a great choice. Sounds like you'll have no problems keeping your costs down as well. Go for it OP

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 23, 2013 4:13 pm

If you have a 170, you are ridiculously underperforming your stats. You should reapply early in the cycle and go to a school worth going to.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu May 23, 2013 4:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:If you have a 170, you are ridiculously underperforming your stats. You should reapply early in the cycle and go to a school worth going to.

I'm guessing he had PS issues.

Just a hunch.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu May 23, 2013 4:17 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
romothesavior wrote:If you have a 170, you are ridiculously underperforming your stats. You should reapply early in the cycle and go to a school worth going to.

Just a hunch.

OP, can we see your PS? I want to know what genius looks like

vinnnyvincenzo

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Thu May 23, 2013 4:17 pm

OP can you please link me to an apartment that isnt a scam where the rent is under $600? I think you are either lying or your parents have been subsidizing your living and you dont realize how much rent really is. FYI I live in NYC so save the "You out of towners just dont get it" bullshit.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu May 23, 2013 4:20 pm

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:OP can you please link me to an apartment that isnt a scam where the rent is under $600? I think you are either lying or your parents have been subsidizing your living and you dont realize how much rent really is. FYI I live in NYC so save the "You out of towners just dont get it" bullshit.

--LinkRemoved--

Pope Francis

Postby Pope Francis » Thu May 23, 2013 4:27 pm

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:OP can you please link me to an apartment that isnt a scam where the rent is under $600? I think you are either lying or your parents have been subsidizing your living and you dont realize how much rent really is. FYI I live in NYC so save the "You out of towners just dont get it" bullshit.

Guys, OP is being a fool in many ways, but he is not lying about the cost of living in Washington Heights. I, like OP, went to Yeshiva University as an undergraduate. First off, the Heights is great, once you learn to appreciate it. The West Heights, though more expensive, is one of the best deals in the City. There are plenty of undergrads with really cheap apartments in the heights who will sublet rooms for under 500 (big rooms in big apts.) I know people who have paid $300 an month. IIRC, there are also subsidized apartments for married alumni.

However, Moshe, since you hit a 170 on the LSAT, please don't make the mistake of going to Fordham at that price. Also, how did you manage do get such a low GPA considering the rampant grade inflation at YU?

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:28 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

Just a hunch.

OP, can we see your PS? I want to know what genius looks like

I applied late in the cycle (end of January) and got WL in pretty much every T14, except rejection at Harvard. I got priority reserve at Duke and Preferred WL at Gtown. Reg WL at Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Penn, Michigan, Northwestern, and Cornell.

I'm not a big fan of my PS. It's too rigid and had too many eyes look at it. If I reapplied, I'd rewrite it, maybe with the same topic.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Pope Francis wrote:

Guys, OP is being a fool in many ways, but he is not lying about the cost of living in Washington Heights. I, like OP, went to Yeshiva University as an undergraduate. First off, the Heights is great, once you learn to appreciate it. The West Heights, though more expensive, is one of the best deals in the City. There are plenty of undergrads with really cheap apartments in the heights who will sublet rooms for under 500 (big rooms in big apts.) I know people who have paid $300 an month. IIRC, there are also subsidized apartments for married alumni.

However, Moshe, since you hit a 170 on the LSAT, please don't make the mistake of going to Fordham at that price. Also, how did you manage do get such a low GPA considering the rampant grade inflation at YU?

I screwed myself over with my GPA last year. My GPA would've been 3.75 give or take otherwise. I had a major distraction last year and shit hit the fan, and I literally stopped caring about school for about 6 months. So, that's how. Also, I was an accounting major, so it wasn't a joke like some of the other ones.

When did you graduate? Did you go to law school? What if Fordham offers me 5K more? Also, part of my plan is to work my ass off and transfer after my first year if I have the grades, which I'm confident I could pull off if I stay focused, which I tend to do my first year in school...

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:34 pm

tony2167 wrote:Brooklyn is a great choice. Sounds like you'll have no problems keeping your costs down as well. Go for it OP

Sarcasm?

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:35 pm

francesfarmer wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

If you're really curious: http://maalotwashington.com/

Plenty, and there's also a FB group with plenty.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”