Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$ Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
moshei24

Bronze

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Post by moshei24 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:52 am

T7 seem to be 50/50 by the looks of it. It would be really nice to just get off NYU's WL. The judge I intern for adjuncts there and wrote me a letter. Same story at Columbia. That help at all?[/quote]

It could help if you ED early next cycle with a strong PS[/quote]

I'd prob use the same topic just make it much less rusty, update it because it would be much more impressive now, and make it sound better. I like the topic. ED Columbia or NYU?[/quote]
Honestly, I suspect you're a stretch at either. I'd prob ED penn as my long shot and blanket below that.[/quote]

So why am I waiting a year for getting into a school on a stretch?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri May 24, 2013 3:03 am

moshei24 wrote:T7 seem to be 50/50 by the looks of it. It would be really nice to just get off NYU's WL. The judge I intern for adjuncts there and wrote me a letter. Same story at Columbia. That help at all?
It could help if you ED early next cycle with a strong PS[/quote]

I'd prob use the same topic just make it much less rusty, update it because it would be much more impressive now, and make it sound better. I like the topic. ED Columbia or NYU?[/quote]
Honestly, I suspect you're a stretch at either. I'd prob ED penn as my long shot and blanket below that.[/quote]

So why am I waiting a year for getting into a school on a stretch?[/quote]
Because your current options are not good dude! You will invariably hit at least 2 T14s if you apply early.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 24, 2013 3:18 am

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:19 am

Why not find a better job? And what course did you use for games?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 24, 2013 3:31 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:38 am

sublime12089 wrote:
moshei24 wrote:Why not find a better job? And what course did you use for games?

I used the Powerscore Bibles last time. This time I will be using Velocity LG, along with Manhattan books, Powerscore Books, and the LSAT trainer book.

Ehhh. This pays the bills and there is not much of a market for Sociology majors. I probably would leave if I was still a rep here. Managing is much much easier.
Gotcha.

Don't mix and match methods. It's never a good idea. Just sharpen the ones you already know and redo games and teach them to others.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri May 24, 2013 5:37 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri May 24, 2013 7:58 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
moshei24 wrote:
sublime12089 wrote:Ok. Here is more a more accurate graph, excluding ED/URM http://www.mylsn.info/h8sjv4 I had to make the GPA range 3.45 to 3.55 to get more than a handful of results. I hope that is acceptable.

And are you actually looking at the info? Or just looking for reasons not to accept it? Because the larger point does remain.
Older years are not representative of today and the odds I see there are bad, and I'm looking at it completely.
Your right, schools were MORE selective in the past. The odds are BETTER for you.
This.

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:40 am

Should I wait two years if I could get a paralegal job at Paul Weiss?

Then, I could make solid money there with overtime and tutor the LSAT, possibly, and maybe make enough money to pay tuition without loans.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:10 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:41 pm

It's going to he hard to improve the LSAT because my bad section is reading comp. Unless paralegal work helps me with that or I tutor enough to become almost flawless in the other two sections.

Also, aren't most of this people, people who went to really really bad law schools and people who went to decent schools but coasted and ended up in the bottom of their class? And can that happen at a top school? Because it is harder to do well at a top school than at Fordham.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri May 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Regulus wrote:
moshei24 wrote:It's going to he hard to improve the LSAT because my bad section is reading comp. Unless paralegal work helps me with that or I tutor enough to become almost flawless in the other two sections.

Also, aren't most of this people, people who went to really really bad law schools and people who went to decent schools but coasted and ended up in the bottom of their class? And can that happen at a top school? Because it is harder to do well at a top school than at Fordham.
No... There are all kinds of people in that thread... Several who were in the top of their class and on law review at schools ranked higher than Fordham.

Yes, this can - and does - happen even at the T14, but the chances of it happening are much less.
What you're missing is that OP is a really special snowflake! He got into Fordham with a 170 and he's going to kill it his first year to transfer. Why are you being so negative? :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Oh, I thought the negative, bitter trolls left. I'm actually trying to have a serious conversation with people who have real information. There is a vale of tears thread for those of you who are bitter and negative. Go cry there. :)

How does that happen to someone top of their class on law review? And someone who that happens to paying sticker at a top school is completely screwed. And also, I keep coming back to the thought that it might be as hard to be median at a top school as it is to be top of class at a school like Fordham. Or top 20, as that gives you great odds at biglaw. Look it up if you don't believe me.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri May 24, 2013 2:46 pm

moshei24 wrote:And also, I keep coming back to the thought that it might be as hard to be median at a top school as it is to be top of class at a school like Fordham. Or top 20, as that gives you great odds at biglaw. Look it up if you don't believe me.
Can you prove this first point? My negative bitter troll brain doesn't get it.

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:53 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
moshei24 wrote:And also, I keep coming back to the thought that it might be as hard to be median at a top school as it is to be top of class at a school like Fordham. Or top 20, as that gives you great odds at biglaw. Look it up if you don't believe me.
Do you understand what a thought is? Did I say I could prove it? Can you prove otherwise? Do you even disagree? And don't blame the bitterness, negativity, or troll-ness for your issue understanding it. They are unrelated.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Fri May 24, 2013 2:57 pm

Having read this thread, I have to say that it pleases me to imagine OP graduating jobless and under a mountain of debt from Fordham after their 'I'll just work hard in law school and get good grades and transfer' plan (highly original and unprecedented plan, I might add) fails.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

muskies970

Bronze

Post by muskies970 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:00 pm

moshei24 wrote:Oh, I thought the negative, bitter trolls left. I'm actually trying to have a serious conversation with people who have real information. There is a vale of tears thread for those of you who are bitter and negative. Go cry there. :)

How does that happen to someone top of their class on law review? And someone who that happens to paying sticker at a top school is completely screwed. And also, I keep coming back to the thought that it might be as hard to be median at a top school as it is to be top of class at a school like Fordham. Or top 20, as that gives you great odds at biglaw. Look it up if you don't believe me.
Here's how I look at it OP. As long as you actually try at a T14 school, there's no reason you shouldn't at least fall at median. Sure some people have to fall below, but I think some of them are invariably slackers, don't like law school, etc... Also, if you're the type of person who falls below median at a T14 you never would have had a shot to get top 10-20% at Fordham.

On the other hand, in some ways getting top 10-20% at any law school can come down to luck, in the sense of professors liking your exams or you just being good at taking law school tests.

TLDR: With hard work you're almost guaranteed median grades (at least by 3L) but hard work never guarantees top 10%.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri May 24, 2013 3:25 pm

moshei24 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
Do you understand what a thought is? Did I say I could prove it? Can you prove otherwise? Do you even disagree? And don't blame the bitterness, negativity, or troll-ness for your issue understanding it. They are unrelated.
No, I don't understand what a thought is. Can you explain it to me?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”