When to Take LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BWR90

When to Take LSAT

Postby BWR90 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:26 pm

I apologize if a thread of this subject matter belongs in the LSAT Prep sub-forum, however, considering that the context of this thread pertains to admissions, I felt as if it belongs here.

I will graduate with a bachelor's degree in economics in about a month, with a GPA of ~3.51, and about a week later I commission as an officer in the USMC. I plan on serving my four year contract, then attending law school immediately afterwards.

I report to the next stage of my training this October, and I have been planning on taking the October LSAT, right before I leave, in order to minimize the time disparity between taking the LSAT, and starting the proverbial clock on my contract. I feel as if I will be "primed" to take the LSAT in October, considering that I will be relatively fresh out of college, and the critical thinking I engage in (such as solving math problems, and reading/writing) will not have waned as much as it will have in four/five years. Moreover, I have ~three months of time to solely dedicate toward preparing for the October LSAT, which I can almost guarantee I will not have while in the Marines.

My question, however, is that will a four/five year time difference between taking the LSAT, and applying to law school, diminish the value of that LSAT score?

Thanks for any advice provided.

TripTrip

Re: When to Take LSAT

Postby TripTrip » Thu May 23, 2013 1:30 am

BWR90 wrote:I have ~three months of time to solely dedicate toward preparing for the October LSAT, which I can almost guarantee I will not have while in the Marines.

You clearly have a very limited understanding of what you will be doing as a commissioned officer in the marines. :lol:

Scores older than five years are not valid for applications, so the October 2013 LSAT will go out of style in September 2018. You would need to apply in the 2017 cycle, which it sounds like you will, so you're technically OK there. I can't speak to the time discrepancy in taking the LSAT versus applying, but you may want to spin in a different direction since your application should revolve around showing why you want to go to law school now (in 2017) and why you are so much more intelligent and experienced than that 3.51 GPA, which four years will help you distance yourself from.

If I were you, I'd take the summer off before active duty and just study for the LSAT hard for a full year during your off time. (And your on time. As a USMC officer you'll have plenty of on-duty time which you could use to study.)

BWR90

Postby BWR90 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:44 am

TripTrip wrote:
BWR90 wrote:I have ~three months of time to solely dedicate toward preparing for the October LSAT, which I can almost guarantee I will not have while in the Marines.

You clearly have a very limited understanding of what you will be doing as a commissioned officer in the marines. :lol:

Scores older than five years are not valid for applications, so the October 2013 LSAT will go out of style in September 2018. You would need to apply in the 2017 cycle, which it sounds like you will, so you're technically OK there. I can't speak to the time discrepancy in taking the LSAT versus applying, but you may want to spin in a different direction since your application should revolve around showing why you want to go to law school now (in 2017) and why you are so much more intelligent and experienced than that 3.51 GPA, which four years will help you distance yourself from.

If I were you, I'd take the summer off before active duty and just study for the LSAT hard for a full year during your off time. (And your on time. As a USMC officer you'll have plenty of on-duty time which you could use to study.)

Thanks for the quick response.

Ah, I see. I never figured that a decent, and current (from a 2017 perspective), LSAT score, could be utilized as an advantage to exhibit possible academic, or motivational, growth to diminish the negative effect of my sub-par GPA. It makes sense, though.

If we assume a decent LSAT score, decent being a score high enough to merit admission to a T20 school, would the above said "distancing from my sub-par GPA" not ultimately produce a negligible impact upon my hypothetical admission to a law school? It seems as if the LSAT itself would be the key into a T20 school, correct?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu May 23, 2013 12:28 pm

BWR90 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Thanks for the quick response.

Ah, I see. I never figured that a decent, and current (from a 2017 perspective), LSAT score, could be utilized as an advantage to exhibit possible academic, or motivational, growth to diminish the negative effect of my sub-par GPA. It makes sense, though.

If we assume a decent LSAT score, decent being a score high enough to merit admission to a T20 school, would the above said "distancing from my sub-par GPA" not ultimately produce a negligible impact upon my hypothetical admission to a law school? It seems as if the LSAT itself would be the key into a T20 school, correct?

Well, you need a narrative framework. It will be a lot easier to show how your enlistment as an officer and time in the marines influenced your decision to attend law school if you didn't take the LSAT before your enlistment.

The correct answer to your last question is: get a kickass LSAT score and it won't matter.

nyjets2090

Postby nyjets2090 » Sun May 26, 2013 8:43 pm

I believe it would be possible to apply your third or fourth year in the Marines and get a deferral from the school for military service. Most schools are happy to defer admission for active duty officers and servicemen.

Marine OCS is four-years active duty obligation with a four-year reserve, right?

So you would take in Oct '13, apply in 2016, defer to 2018.

Math might be off there, but that's why I'm doing law and not med school.

Check out the military law forum here and vets groups at schools you're interested in when you go to apply.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”