Yield Protected Email

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Yield Protected Email

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu May 23, 2013 7:09 pm

moshei24 wrote:In the end, they called me up and were very apologetic about the whole situation. They explained to me that I was, what us 0L's call, yield protected, as they had run out of scholarship money.

I reposted the email elsewhere to provide more background information.

FYI, at most law schools, your LSAT score counts 4x as much as your GPA.

Thanks for all your wonderful feedback, guys! :)


You are the worst person I've encountered on this forum, and that's saying something. Enjoy being swallowed up by debt at the mediocre school you had to snivel your way into.

moshei24
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Re: Yield Protected Email

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:51 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
moshei24 wrote:In the end, they called me up and were very apologetic about the whole situation. They explained to me that I was, what us 0L's call, yield protected, as they had run out of scholarship money.

I reposted the email elsewhere to provide more background information.

FYI, at most law schools, your LSAT score counts 4x as much as your GPA.

Thanks for all your wonderful feedback, guys! :)


You are the worst person I've encountered on this forum, and that's saying something. Enjoy being swallowed up by debt at the mediocre school you had to snivel your way into.



It's adorable how you think you know anything about my plan for school. If I end up at a mediocre school, I won't really be paying any money... that was pretty self-explanatory.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Yield Protected Email

Postby 20141023 » Fri May 24, 2013 6:04 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13912
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Yield Protected Email

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:47 am

And besides, the outcome is irrelevant to our point, which is that you sound like an entitled twat.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Yield Protected Email

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri May 24, 2013 11:50 am

That'd be pretty awesome if the letter works 8)

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Yield Protected Email

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri May 24, 2013 1:02 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Fordham falls under the expansive umbrella of mediocrity.

rinkrat19 wrote:And besides, the outcome is irrelevant to our point, which is that you sound like an entitled twat.

User avatar
BabyJT
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Re: Yield Protected Email

Postby BabyJT » Fri May 24, 2013 1:14 pm

moshei24 wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
NonLawSchooler wrote:Here is an email that a prospective student, who believed that he/she was being yield protected by his/her own university, is thinking of sending an admissions officer. [The student's Lsat scores/GPA are 165, 170/3.49, and the school's 75th for LSAT/GPA are 165, 3.67] He/She is looking for some advice on how to improve the email and what your general thoughts are etc. I am not a past, present or future law student so I was not able to advise the student very well, but I had heard of this forum before. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

"Dear [Admissions Officer],

I hope all is well.

Exactly four weeks ago I received an email from [Law School] informing me that they were unable to act on my application, and that I was put on hold. (Before I continue, I want to apologize if anything I write sounds in any way rude, as it is not my intention.) That email didn't really make sense to me given my numbers and given the fact that I'm a [University] alumnus who was very involved in leadership programs and groups while in their undergraduate program. After speaking to [University Representatives] (I tried to speak to [Law School representatives] to no avail), I found out that [Law School] had run out of scholarship money, and for that reason put me on hold. I was also told that I could be admitted and attend [Law School] without scholarship money, if I so desired. As you might understand, that would not be an intelligent decision on my part.

This whole series of events really tainted the [University] name for me. Being put on hold really felt like a slap in the face, especially after I had waited an extremely long period time to hear back from [Law School]. Even given all of these events, I would still consider attending [Law School]. At this point, I have placed deposits at [School A] and [School B] , two schools that have offered me generous scholarships. [School A] : $25K a year, and [School B]: $45K a year. If [Law School] is in the position to make me an offer this week, I would be happy to consider it, and hopefully be able to continue my stay under the [University] umbrella.

If you would like to discuss any of this over the phone, I would be happy to do so.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
[0L]"


A "prospective student" wrote this? You're not fooling anyone. This email makes you sound like a pompous prick with an unwarranted sense of entitlement.



I don't want to fool anyone. This is an email that I wrote. The person who posted this happens to be a 1L at a top school. We made a bet. He won.


Well someone is lying. I think you posted both seeing if you would get different responses (1 says "a friend of mine is seeking advice on an email s/he wants to send" and the other says "How cool do you guys think I am for this shit email I sent to adcomms"). both posts were weds night 3 hours apart. you originally said in the 2nd 1 pretty much the same thing you posted as NonLawSchooler: that you were seeking advice/feedback on the email before sending it (but you edited that to say you sent it and just wanted opinions).
BTW the first post says:
NonLawSchooler wrote: am not a past, present or future law student so I was not able to advise the student very well
and you keep saying it's a current law student. make up your mind or do you want to go back and edit that 1 too?

moshei24
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Re: Yield Protected Email

Postby moshei24 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:24 pm

BabyJT wrote:
moshei24 wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
NonLawSchooler wrote:Here is an email that a prospective student, who believed that he/she was being yield protected by his/her own university, is thinking of sending an admissions officer. [The student's Lsat scores/GPA are 165, 170/3.49, and the school's 75th for LSAT/GPA are 165, 3.67] He/She is looking for some advice on how to improve the email and what your general thoughts are etc. I am not a past, present or future law student so I was not able to advise the student very well, but I had heard of this forum before. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

"Dear [Admissions Officer],

I hope all is well.

Exactly four weeks ago I received an email from [Law School] informing me that they were unable to act on my application, and that I was put on hold. (Before I continue, I want to apologize if anything I write sounds in any way rude, as it is not my intention.) That email didn't really make sense to me given my numbers and given the fact that I'm a [University] alumnus who was very involved in leadership programs and groups while in their undergraduate program. After speaking to [University Representatives] (I tried to speak to [Law School representatives] to no avail), I found out that [Law School] had run out of scholarship money, and for that reason put me on hold. I was also told that I could be admitted and attend [Law School] without scholarship money, if I so desired. As you might understand, that would not be an intelligent decision on my part.

This whole series of events really tainted the [University] name for me. Being put on hold really felt like a slap in the face, especially after I had waited an extremely long period time to hear back from [Law School]. Even given all of these events, I would still consider attending [Law School]. At this point, I have placed deposits at [School A] and [School B] , two schools that have offered me generous scholarships. [School A] : $25K a year, and [School B]: $45K a year. If [Law School] is in the position to make me an offer this week, I would be happy to consider it, and hopefully be able to continue my stay under the [University] umbrella.

If you would like to discuss any of this over the phone, I would be happy to do so.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
[0L]"


A "prospective student" wrote this? You're not fooling anyone. This email makes you sound like a pompous prick with an unwarranted sense of entitlement.



I don't want to fool anyone. This is an email that I wrote. The person who posted this happens to be a 1L at a top school. We made a bet. He won.


Well someone is lying. I think you posted both seeing if you would get different responses (1 says "a friend of mine is seeking advice on an email s/he wants to send" and the other says "How cool do you guys think I am for this shit email I sent to adcomms"). both posts were weds night 3 hours apart. you originally said in the 2nd 1 pretty much the same thing you posted as NonLawSchooler: that you were seeking advice/feedback on the email before sending it (but you edited that to say you sent it and just wanted opinions).
BTW the first post says:
NonLawSchooler wrote: am not a past, present or future law student so I was not able to advise the student very well
and you keep saying it's a current law student. make up your mind or do you want to go back and edit that 1 too?


Clearly, I didn't write the first one, and clearly he doesn't want people to know he goes to law school. The end. Cheer up, bud. :)




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: malysh and 12 guests