Dr. Dre has another question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should Dre Ask his Fav. Prof. for LOR?

Yes
55%
No
No votes
Don't go to lawl skewl bro
45%

Total votes: 20

Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre has another question

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed May 22, 2013 12:11 am

Just found out my professor, who is going to write my LOR, is going to be on sabbatical this fall semester. Should I still ask her for the LOR? This is my top professor, has written fellowship LOR before, so she's way chill with me. My question: how should I ask her (if at all)?
Last edited by Dr. Dre on Wed May 22, 2013 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

HankBashir

Re: Dr. Dre has another question

Postby HankBashir » Wed May 22, 2013 12:12 am

E-mail.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed May 22, 2013 12:13 am

HankBashir wrote:E-mail.

when's the perfect time to do that, considering I'll be applying november.

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Wed May 22, 2013 12:16 am

I gave my profs about a month's notice, so late-September, early-October. Theoretically, as long as you've paid for the service, you could do it right now.

One of my recommendations came from a professor that no longer teaches at my universiy and now works at one on the other side of the country.
Last edited by HankBashir on Wed May 22, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 22, 2013 12:16 am

Ask her now if she'd be willing to write a letter for the fall (due on whenever you want it in by), and if so, when she'd like the information. I'm pretty sure she'll be happy to do it (though sometimes people balk about doing this kind of stuff on sabbatical), but on the tiny chance that she declines, you have more time to find someone else.

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:27 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Ask her now if she'd be willing to write a letter for the fall (due on whenever you want it in by), and if so, when she'd like the information. I'm pretty sure she'll be happy to do it (though sometimes people balk about doing this kind of stuff on sabbatical), but on the tiny chance that she declines, you have more time to find someone else.

I'd ask for two weeks before you would like it by, in case she's slow.

Also, it may not hurt just to ask now, that gives her the whole summer to work on it, in when she's probably less busy, and has an even fresher memory of your performance. Plus it's a lot less stress to worry about come September/ October.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed May 22, 2013 12:50 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
HankBashir wrote:E-mail.

when's the perfect time to do that, considering I'll be applying november.

I asked my professors to write LORS about three months before I applied, and it worked out OK. Just be sure to kindly remind them every so often.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed May 22, 2013 1:00 pm

Ask her right now, why on earth wait? If she's fast then you'll have it sittin in your LSAC account way in advance and it's a burden of your back, if she's slow well she has many months to do it.

dawyzest1

Postby dawyzest1 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Ask her right now, why on earth wait? If she's fast then you'll have it sittin in your LSAC account way in advance and it's a burden of your back, if she's slow well she has many months to do it.

This. Early and often with those notoriously hard to pin down academics.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed May 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Ask her right now, why on earth wait? If she's fast then you'll have it sittin in your LSAC account way in advance and it's a burden of your back, if she's slow well she has many months to do it.

good stuff bro

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”